HAM Operators- Post up here

Expedition Leader
Anyone hear dx on simplex on 2 meter?

2 meters is a short enough wavelength that it will go right through the ionosphere, so you are pretty much limited to line-of-sight contacts. I have had simplex QSOs at up to 30-40 miles from my mobile 2m radio and double that or more from my home shack (where my 2m antenna is 40' above the ground).

gary in ohio

Explorer
In the general case 1911 is correct in that most VHF and above signals go through the ionosphere and dont reflect back, but there is always EME (moon bounce) were you relect a signal off the moon and work station thousands of miles away. Take a lot more than a simple mobiel radio nad antenna, but can be done. A little cheaper route is by using tropospheric ducting. Ducting is where your signals can bounce off of weather patterns(high pressure systems.) Common right before or after a summer thunderstorm. I have worked TX from Ohio before. Can work into Canada pretty regularly.

Expedition Leader
In the general case 1911 is correct in that most VHF and above signals go through the ionosphere and dont reflect back, but there is always EME (moon bounce) were you relect a signal off the moon and work station thousands of miles away. Take a lot more than a simple mobiel radio nad antenna, but can be done. A little cheaper route is by using tropospheric ducting. Ducting is where your signals can bounce off of weather patterns(high pressure systems.) Common right before or after a summer thunderstorm. I have worked TX from Ohio before. Can work into Canada pretty regularly.

Good points all, my answer was over-simplified. I thought about mentioning bouncing signals off of satellites also.

mgalvez

KK6BOF, just got my call sign. So now its time to start chatting on some nets. Can't wait to try this out somewhere remote.

crismateski

American Adventurist
KK6BOF, just got my call sign. So now its time to start chatting on some nets. Can't wait to try this out somewhere remote.

May I suggest the Outdoor Adventures USA net on Thursday nights. Keller peak repeater. If you want more info you can check out OAUSA.net or send me a PM. I am right next door in San Antonio Heights

irish_11

Explorer
Passed my Tech tonight. Just waiting for my FCC paperwork to go through.

I am hoping to take the General in a few weeks

Edit*

KG7APZ
Kirkland, Wa
2m/70cm(440)
Ft-7900r

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
Passed my Tech tonight. Just waiting for my FCC paperwork to go through.

I am hoping to take the General in a few weeks

Congrats on your ticket! Post your call sign when you get it. Good luck on your General; it's easier while all the Tech stuff is still in your head.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
KK6BQA
Yaesu FT-7800R
Inland Empire, CA

just got my call sign this morning! Now to figure out how to use my radio...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online