Grenadier Questions and Answers? Post'em Up

Randomnoise

I attended the test event in Colorado Springs a few weeks back. The marketing rep at the event confirmed that Alu-Cab was working on a RTT for the Ineos. He also mentioned Front Runner was busy on after market add-ons. For those who have reservations, they said that they would begin US deliveries this coming December, in the order in which the reservations were received.

Sean303boards

I attended the test event in Colorado Springs a few weeks back. The marketing rep at the event confirmed that Alu-Cab was working on a RTT for the Ineos. He also mentioned Front Runner was busy on after market add-ons. For those who have reservations, they said that they would begin US deliveries this coming December, in the order in which the reservations were received.
When you say RTT are you referring to an actual roof conversion with cutting the top? Thanks!

zimm

Expedition Leader
Weird - lets get some questions answered to "see ya"...

what happened to @Scott Brady ?

Inquiring minds wanna know - do you still have access to the engineering team? If so - are they planning on releasing manuals/parts fiche?

Sir Jim has the attention.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Cu
Yeah, I see that....looks like they are rolling out the red carpet....and gin and tonics.
Curious if the vehicle is a loaner? He says they aren’t being paid, but also thanked Ineos for their “generous” support. A little more clarity would help so we know if opinions are skewed or not. Either way looks like a cool trip.

nickw

Adventurer
Cu

Curious if the vehicle is a loaner? He says they aren’t being paid, but also thanked Ineos for their “generous” support. A little more clarity would help so we know if opinions are skewed or not. Either way looks like a cool trip.
I doubt its "paid" but more of a not for profit situation, I really hope for a fair review of the rig...but honestly see this as a win/win, Ineos funds a huge African trip = marketing on the biggest overland outlet and Scott gets a huge bump in veiwership due to them driving around Africa in a IG.

Heck, IG even got it's own sub-forum unlike many other rigs and the things isn't even formally out on the market yet! My quick take is if you are going to promote this thing, give it it's own sub forum and suggest you have Ineos's ear, follow through would be nice.

But shots of the rig, in the English country side, on a green lane with your Rolex front and center I think is telling of where this "Journey" is headed if you ask me:

1689190403855.png

zimm

Expedition Leader
Cu

In kind contributions for free exposure. Sir Jim gets good press and Scott gets to put his organization first in line, which brings in ad dollars and more products. Probably more than a decade ago, I recall comments about OJ never really having anything negative to say about products when they compare them and pick the best. Their response being something along the lines of them preferring to approach the reviews emphasizing the positive and to not be negative, like that's bad. That's not to say anyone is making anything up, but the effect is to definitely skew the impression of the reader, and keep manufacturers happy and supplying the goods.

Over on the Gren forum, it was brought up that ASPW didnt get a return call from Jimmy and was being blasted as a baby and accused of sour grapes when he pointed out obvious flaws the gren has, making it inferior to other older platforms for vehicle dependent travel. Those flaws are glaringly obvious and should be easily recognized by the staff here, but as you see, no comments have been made.

ASPW would be the clear choice, for driving skill, terrain familiarity, and photo journalism to conduct a deep dive evaluation in Africa, if what one really wanted was an evaluation. But, the last thing Jimmy would want is Andrew saying something like, "The asinine bulge in the firewall made hours in the saddle intolrable compared to a 40yo lc76", which he would have undoubtedly received. I'm sure the good things Scott will say about the truck truck are true, but OJ's past version of journalistic fluff pieces, and pretending in kind contributions aren't any less ethical than a direct cash payment, makes the drive nothing more than entertainment. So sure, I'll watch it.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
the last thing Jimmy would want is Andrew saying something like, "The asinine bulge in the firewall made hours in the saddle intolrable compared to a 40yo lc76", which he would have undoubtedly received.

So true. Its unfortunate. ASPW can sometimes be equal parts codger and bag of air, but at least I know I'm not getting any fluff or Bunk.

SkiWill

So true. Its unfortunate. ASPW can sometimes be equal parts codger and bag of air, but at least I know I'm not getting any fluff or Bunk.
Agreed. He's not always correct, he certainly has his own biases, but taking that into account his opinions are very useful because you always know where he stands and what he thinks. There's no, "how does he really feel?"

In kind contributions for free exposure. Sir Jim gets good press and Scott gets to put his organization first in line, which brings in ad dollars and more products. Probably more than a decade ago, I recall comments about OJ never really having anything negative to say about products when they compare them and pick the best. Their response being something along the lines of them preferring to approach the reviews emphasizing the positive and to not be negative, like that's bad. That's not to say anyone is making anything up, but the effect is to definitely skew the impression of the reader, and keep manufacturers happy and supplying the goods.

Over on the Gren forum, it was brought up that ASPW didnt get a return call from Jimmy and was being blasted as a baby and accused of sour grapes when he pointed out obvious flaws the gren has, making it inferior to other older platforms for vehicle dependent travel. Those flaws are glaringly obvious and should be easily recognized by the staff here, but as you see, no comments have been made.

ASPW would be the clear choice, for driving skill, terrain familiarity, and photo journalism to conduct a deep dive evaluation in Africa, if what one really wanted was an evaluation. But, the last thing Jimmy would want is Andrew saying something like, "The asinine bulge in the firewall made hours in the saddle intolrable compared to a 40yo lc76", which he would have undoubtedly received. I'm sure the good things Scott will say about the truck truck are true, but OJ's past version of journalistic fluff pieces, and pretending in kind contributions aren't any less ethical than a direct cash payment, makes the drive nothing more than entertainment. So sure, I'll watch it.

I agree. I value the input from users on this forum, but staff articles are pretty much just advertising at this point. It reminds me of a staffer at another magazine who said, "the golden rule of advertising (which is what actually pays the bills) is don't say anything negative."

I have never seen a critical comment, and I had whiplash when within days articles were released praising both the New Defender and the Grenadier without a single critique of either. There are plenty of opportunities to point out downsides with both vehicles and both vehicles are incredibly different in their approach.

Scott Brady

Founder
Hi all,
Sincere apologies for abandoning this thread. I will spare you the excuses.
We finally have the Grenadier in Durban, which took many months longer than expected due to the global supply chain issues. I am in Africa now and will have more time to answer questions, and have a lot more time with the vehicle to give some perspective.

Some of the previous questions:
1. I've read that Ineos plans on making the workshop manual publicly available. Presumably if they have started deliveries, the workshop manual is now available. Is there a way to access the LHD petrol workshop manual? It would be really insightful on what it will be like to maintain this vehicle.
I did just get a few service manual chapters for the trip. Fortunately, have not needed them yet, but I did add some basic spares to my kit to facilitate service in remote areas. I will see if we can get a copy of the full petrol manual and post it up (it does not seem quite ready for the NAS versions).

2. Will the bull bar be available in the US market? It's not currently on the US configurator, but is on the Australian configurator. We've got big mammals running around all over the place on this continent as well.
I finally came across the bull bar in South Africa, and I do like it. It seems sturdy enough to take a light deer or Roo strike. The bumper cradle and uprights are pretty robust. I greatly prefer the steel bumper over the EU spec plastic one on mine.
DSC07810-20230724.jpg

3. What is the octane rating requirement on the re-tuned petrol B58 engine? It'd be really nice if this didn't require premium fuel.
Premium fuel is recommended, but based on the feedback I have from engineering it is more about fuel quality. So I have a prefilter funnel to help limit particulates in remote areas. The filter is in the tank. . . so I am being super mindful of this. I have already run several tanks of an 87 octane equivalent and have not noticed anything unusual. I also have a few bottles of octane booster along just in case.

4. I know you can't answer this one, but it's the question at the top of a lot of our minds. What is this going to cost in the US?
This has been addressed. More expensive than what most hoped, but less expensive than a Land Cruiser or G-Wagon ;)

We were fortunate to drive the Grenadier (North America Specification Prototype) in November, and do have the ability to ask technical questions of their engineering team. So post up any questions you have and we will do our best to answer them.

Also, there is some additional information in our detailed test drive article, and video.

Test Drive Article: https://expeditionportal.com/ineos-grenadier-exclusive-first-overland-test-prototype/

Youtube Video:
Latest news from Grenadier Forum - Alu-Cab just got a stock Grenadier with which to begin design.

toddz69

Explorer

Who/what is ASPW?

Todd Z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne