Great White: A Chevy K10 Build

colierar

Observer
I just read your whole build. The thing dreams are made of. Seriously impressive, you are a very talented man. I used to have an old 77 Chevy 3/4 ton with a pop-up, I've switched to old cadillacs now, but your build makes me miss it dearly.

Thank you for sharing, I am definitely subscribed. Your build gives me the motivation to build another one again someday and fulfill me dreams to drive the Alcan and head to Baja.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Ouiwee

Observer
I just read your whole build. The thing dreams are made of. Seriously impressive, you are a very talented man. I used to have an old 77 Chevy 3/4 ton with a pop-up, I've switched to old cadillacs now, but your build makes me miss it dearly.

Thank you for sharing, I am definitely subscribed. Your build gives me the motivation to build another one again someday and fulfill me dreams to drive the Alcan and head to Baja.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the compliments. Who knows, maybe I'll have the build completed in a few more years.

Ouiwee

Observer
I guess I should provide an update on the pull out kitchen. I recently got back from a two week trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. It was roughly 5,500 miles in total...and I won't even mention the fuel costs.

It was a fabulous trip.

Here is a shot of the kitchen in action.

And another.

It worked like a charm and made cooking/eating on the road significantly more convenient. I think I might consider a similar pull out for the pantry.

I might have already started it.

Anyway, that isn't the point of this update.

Ouiwee

Observer
We stopped along the way to see the Great Sand Dunes National Park. It is a strange sight indeed to see sand, mountains, and snow all together.

We stayed at the lodge there since there seemed to be no sites available at the camp ground. I awoke to find this in the morning.

We had little difficulty driving out of the snow on our way west and south.

Compared to the drama including an ER visit on the hike to Shiva Temple, point sublime was a pleasant evening shared with new friends. It is difficult to take a bad picture there.

Here is a picture of my buddy's set-up on his Ford Raptor. It is just about the same as mine.

Well, I won't bore with an endless stream of Grand Canyon pictures. We visited swamp point and remote camped in a hollow.

It got into the 20's that night and I nearly froze to death.

Ouiwee

Observer
We stayed one night at Jumpup Cabin, which was a nice change. One can rent the cabin for $35 or so. There are trails to hike as well.

There is a nice look out point roughly 5 miles from the cabin that few know about.

Ouiwee

Observer
We took the time to go to Toroweap Overlook. It is a drive to get there, but well worth the time and effort. We stayed at Tuweep Campground, which is right next to the overlook. The last few miles of trail is a bit rocky, but not bad at all.

I lack the facility with words necessary to explain what it feels like to stand over an abyss with a river 3,000 feet below. It is awesome.

The Tuweep campground is mostly rock, so there isn't so many places for a ground tent. The rock makes a nice floor when taking a shower. Having an awning sure makes the difference in the desert sun.

Overall, a great trip. The drive back was not nearly as much fun as the drive to get there...

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Man, we got back from our trip to Utah last Friday. We could have run into each other if you came east to Lake Powell. We were at Valley of the Gods Thursday.

Tuweep is a great place. I've got similar pics and parked at that exact campsite in 2019. Worth the 70+ miles of dirt to get there.

Thanks for sharing.

Ouiwee

Observer
Man, we got back from our trip to Utah last Friday. We could have run into each other if you came east to Lake Powell. We were at Valley of the Gods Thursday.

Tuweep is a great place. I've got similar pics and parked at that exact campsite in 2019. Worth the 70+ miles of dirt to get there.

Thanks for sharing.
It's good you guys made it back with an integer number of trucks, rather than a fraction like last time.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
It's good you guys made it back with an integer number of trucks, rather than a fraction like last time.
It was somewhat a redemption run for Larry. The poison spring canyon section was probably the one that finished off his frame last time. He started to feel the strange feeling late in that day. The next day the feeling got worse.

Watching his truck this time you could tell the frame had more rigidity as the normal high amount of deflection between the cab and the box has been reduced to a small amount. The suspension is it’s job rather than the frame flexing instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pembecreek