Great White: A Chevy K10 Build

Alloy

Two week ago I replaced the oring on a tank fitting for the second time in 2 years after my kids smelled propane and still leaked after wrenching it.

Ouiwee

Observer
Two week ago I replaced the oring on a tank fitting for the second time in 2 years after my kids smelled propane and still leaked after wrenching it.

I wanted, as part of the design requirements, the ability to manually shut off the tank. So, I have left access to do so when the slide is fully extended. I don't trust the connection to the tank myself either.

bistarr

I found it on the jungle website. It is a

Foldable Kitchen Faucet 360 Rotation Turning RV Caravan Camper Faucet w/Hoses Cold Hot Water Mixer Faucet Copper Silver Tap

by Monipa.
Super, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Ouiwee

Observer
I decided to rework the water tank and build another out of aluminum, so it has taken some time. Given the size and noise generated by the water pump, I decided to use an in-tank pump instead and make the tank a bit bigger.

I finally got the shroud back from the place with a big press brake.

YMng0RR.jpg

YQGgIiQ.jpg

mv0NAhX.jpg

Oz5cWtw.jpg

Ouiwee

Observer
Here is a shot of the kitchen pulled all the way out. I also changed the faucet to one that contains an electric switch that turns on the pump.

7nOpgGA.jpg

The cabinet turned out okay. The fill port for the water tank (8 gallons) is visible left of the cabinet as well as the 5 lb propane tank.

fE6JBm6.jpg

I included a water filter, because I could, but might remove it later. One can see the tabs that fix the cabinet to the water tank.

3RHfosH.jpg

I thought it made sense to include some lights underneath the slide. I have propped up the slide here but it will not need one when attached to the truck bed.

iJzDzUd.jpg

There is a leg on the back of the cabinet to support the lid.

XolFJQU.jpg

Velcro holds it back when stowed.

W7WYr3x.jpg

Ouiwee

Observer
It looks like the only thing left to do with this project is to test it in the field.

Here is the tie down point for bolting to the truck bed.

fy9FtAO.jpg

Ouiwee

Observer
And some pictures of the aluminum tank, just for reference. Don't mind the top...a smidge of drama might have been encountered.

MJYOECg.jpg

The access port allows for the service of the pump. I welded some 3/8" tube for lack of space above the tank or an appropriate fitting. The bung to the left contains a breather.

NAtWcq2.jpg

And the fill port.

Rm4TNh1.jpg

I back purged the tank with argon in order to avoid any oxide build up on the inside that might affect the taste of the water. Nonetheless, the filter should take care of any odd taste. I don't really intend to use the water for drinking, but it will be used for cooking.

Ouiwee

Observer
I have a disk brake conversion on a 14 bolt axle in the back of the truck. I first tried a driveline brake, which didn't work. Then I tried a couple versions of Eldorado mechanical brakes, which didn't work at all. Recently Wilwood introduced an electronic brake kit that I installed on the truck. It works perfectly, even for a 6,500 lb truck.

There are cheaper ways of doing the same thing using Tesla brakes and aftermarket controllers. I chose the Wilwood kit because it was easy and provided most of what I needed for a clean installation.

The kit comes with the brake calipers, controller, switch, and wiring harness (all sold separately). As it turns out, the wiring harness fits a long box squarebody just about right. I mounted the switch in a place my dog would not find in an off road bump. It is behind the fuel tank selector switch in the foreground (I'm not a photographer).

eHAA6wv.jpg

The controller is mounted near the parking brake pedal (left) and the wires to the rear calipers are shown going into a mil-spec bulkhead fitting.

4IcBr5d.jpg

I wanted the wiring harness to be as good as possible, so I sheathed the wires in DR-25 and used shrink boots and epoxy to seal the entire harness.

Tgl6zAS.jpg

The hard part here is building the brackets to hold the calipers. First, they must be the correct distance from the axle center line. Second, they must be located in the right position with respect to the face of the rotor. As it turns out, a 3/8" spacer and a 1/2" plate fit exactly.

gtdR4kb.jpg

8LT7vqm.jpg

XEut6RU.jpg

And, a shot from under the truck.

IiUS6CG.jpg

I might yet rotate them up more to get them out of the way of trail debris.

I could not be happier with the performance as a park brake. It also does a good job as an emergency brake. I've not tested at high speed, which might cause some brake fade, but at 40 mph it stops the truck just fine.

colierar

Observer
I just read your whole build. The thing dreams are made of. Seriously impressive, you are a very talented man. I used to have an old 77 Chevy 3/4 ton with a pop-up, I've switched to old cadillacs now, but your build makes me miss it dearly.

Thank you for sharing, I am definitely subscribed. Your build gives me the motivation to build another one again someday and fulfill me dreams to drive the Alcan and head to Baja.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Ouiwee

Observer
I just read your whole build. The thing dreams are made of. Seriously impressive, you are a very talented man. I used to have an old 77 Chevy 3/4 ton with a pop-up, I've switched to old cadillacs now, but your build makes me miss it dearly.

Thank you for sharing, I am definitely subscribed. Your build gives me the motivation to build another one again someday and fulfill me dreams to drive the Alcan and head to Baja.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliments. Who knows, maybe I'll have the build completed in a few more years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94