Great White: A Chevy K10 Build

Ouiwee

Observer
I made my way to the Valley of Monuments today.

VqIJUPb.jpg

fQ06m41.jpg

xZPkvDR.jpg

There is snow in the North Rim and some trails/roads have been closed for the winter. We'll see which are still open tomorrow. I've brought chains just in case things get really interesting.

Ouiwee

Observer
Well, too much snow at the North Rim and near zero visibility. I'll have to see about getting back in the early summer.

nTiXmQ9.jpg

It sure was pretty, though.

Z3MtjrJ.jpg

I checked out Glen Canyon Dam. I couldn't get a picture to cover the entire dam at the distance I had...it's big.

S83LKNa.jpg

There are some very scenic spots nearby for swimming. It's unfortunate that it is too cold to swim.

uLTwakH.jpg

I don't know where to go next. I'm open to suggestions...

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Nice payoff to the build! We did Hells Revenge in September when we attended Blazer Bash. Such a fun trail that had us questioning physics and grip on many of the climbs. Nothing like seeing only sky out the windshield to get the blood pumping. I was astonished how crazy the grip was.

So cool to see the truck out on the trail getting used. Keep it up and safe travels!

Ouiwee

Observer
Nice payoff to the build! We did Hells Revenge in September when we attended Blazer Bash. Such a fun trail that had us questioning physics and grip on many of the climbs. Nothing like seeing only sky out the windshield to get the blood pumping. I was astonished how crazy the grip was.

So cool to see the truck out on the trail getting used. Keep it up and safe travels!

Getting used, it is. Not to sound like Yoda.

Agreed, it is difficult to explain until you do it.

Ouiwee

Observer
So, we popped over to Death Valley for a quick look about. I suspect one could spend multiple days there and only scratch the surface--it is big.

Here is the west side valley at Dante's Peak (or something similar), which seems to be a salt flat.

L3pld5G.jpg

I was running out of daylight, so stopped here.

wQ9Gbht.jpg

If interested in the location, type the following into the Google Maps search box: 36 04.0222N, 116 37.8609W

It is a beautiful spot, but in hindsight I would have moved up to the flat spot above it where the GPS equipment is located.

tz9TNHC.jpg

Walking around with the dog, I discovered a vertical mine shaft. I'd guess it nearly 50 feet deep based on the rock I through down there.

8zErxLQ.jpg

I have the equipment to descend the shaft and see what's up, but since I was by my lonesome it seemed less than a good idea. Apparently there are thousands of mines all over the place, since prospectors back then didn't have a firm grasp of geology. The coordinates are: 36.076151, -116.626796

It's a nice sight first off in the morning.

BSdR3dr.jpg

And on the way out, I was not watching closely and a rock hit the side of my passenger rear tire. It was sharp on the one edge and stuck in the ground rather well. I hit it and heard a pssst psst psst. It leaked each revolution where the impact area bore the weight of the truck.

zRkUEcx.jpg

There is a tear down near the fake bead lock. I was running 20 psi and know better. Nonetheless, it is not a place to be by oneself without a spare tire. So, we got to truckin back to civilization.

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Very pretty with the snow! Those back roads can get nearly impassable when wet. Many have warnings to stay off them when rain is likely. I’ve hit small stretches that were like driving through wet concrete. Glad to see the rig performing so well! Safe travels!

Ouiwee

Observer
I finally got the truck tuned. It was pulling some timing due to the knock sensors not expecting headers. It put down 580 hp and 640 lb/ft to the wheels.

LT4_Dyno_200110.JPG

Having 600 lb/ft at 2,200 rpm is nice indeed. The truck is more responsive and now I can wind it up, if necessary, without worry.

The bed is off the truck currently and I have been working on the final stage of the fuel system. The third fuel tank is installed and I should have the valves and fuel lines installed tomorrow. The 'electrics' would be the final step.

Ouiwee

Observer
I wish my tow rig had that much power!

How much fuel capacity are you going to have?

I'll have 58 gallons (220 liters) in total. I kept the rear tank small (18 gallons) to keep a decent departure angle, room for bash plates, and space for a large battery in front of the tank.

Ouiwee

Observer
Here is the valve switch box thing. The switch on the left chooses between inputs (primary or one of the two auxiliary tanks). The second valve chooses between which auxiliary tank, given the primary is not chosen.

KIMG0003.JPG

I kept it simple with ordinary fuel line and worm clamps just in case it needs serviced at some inconvenient point in time.

KIMG0006.JPG

Installed with fuel lines. The heat shield on the bottom is worth noting.

KIMG0444.JPG

I used some hefty thermal sleeve just for good measure. Here is the rear tank set-up.

7v7yAxD.jpg

I filled the tank yesterday to the brim and...low and behold...no leaks!

I got started on the wiring harness today and should have the exterior portion in hand tomorrow.

Ouiwee

Observer
As an update, the fuel system is working well. I drove from KY to home (500+ miles) without stopping for fuel and had about 10 gallons left in the third tank.

I had a bulb in the front go again (xenon, or some such). So, I thought about getting LED lights and found a set of replacement LED lights on Amazon for a song. I had to swap pins in the lower plugs, but otherwise plug and play. The reviews were very good on them and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised.

SVG2n9W.jpg

They also have provision for running lights (small ones on the sides of each).

I finally got around to building the storage boxes for the bed rack.

CirMuka.jpg

EclbiLT.jpg

I'll send them out to paint this coming week. I've plans to install a Propex heater in the one side for a nice heated tent.

I have the components collected for a front sway bar. I think I have a plan for how to pull it off, which isn't all that obvious given all the stuff going on. I will document the results here if I can get it all to work.

I ordered a replacement drag link and Panhard bar cut from 7075 aluminum to save weight and add some strength.

I am still toying with the idea of using the army truck to build an extended cab square body. I think it would be a fun project.

Ouiwee

Observer
I finally got round to fabricating a skid plate for the rear fuel tank out of 1/4" 6061 aluminum. I think it turned out fine, but time and impacts will tell.

KIMG0564.JPG

I bored a hole so that the tank can be drained without removing the bash plate.

KIMG0565.JPG

From the front.

KIMG0566.JPG

And rear. One can see the air frame bolts I used to secure the bumper.

KIMG0570.JPG

It has 1/4" rubber pads between the plate and frame (same as the tank). I would have preferred 7075, but it cannot be welded and costs a small fortune. I figure the 1/4" 6061 should take a good amount of abuse. The bottom of the tank is made from 0.120" material, which should help. There is roughly 3/4" gap between the bash plate and the tank.

Ouiwee

Observer
I got the 7075 links made and installed--Summit Machine in UT makes them for less than I can by the raw material. They are solid (not hollow), as strong as mild steel, and bend like mad while returning to the original shape.

KIMG0574.JPG

I was able to go with a smaller diameter on the panhard bar, which allows for more clearance with the diff as well as the mounting point on the right. I changed the pitman arm as well to less drop. The drag link and panhard bar are very close to parallel and are equal in length. The tie rod is 1.5" in diameter.

A solid rod of 7075 aluminum is much lighter than 1/4 wall DOM steel, so the weight of the rear tank bash plate is offset by the aluminum links.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles