Great White: A Chevy K10 Build

Ouiwee

Observer
I got the shower set up and it seems to work well. A sixty degree partially cloudy day and the water temperature was mid 90's. I was skeptical about it, but the quality is good and it is super easy--no engineering, welding, machining, and cussing to do. The capacity isn't huge, but I don't want weight that high up and can carry water lower in the truck and add more when necessary.

KIMG0208.JPG

KIMG0209.JPG

I need to figure out a curtain solution.

We did a dry run last night. It has always amazed me what stupid things I forget, despite spending considerable time thinking it through. The only way to sort things out is actual usage.

KIMG0213.JPG

I've been working on my spare parts bin and one of the last items (rear driveshaft) should be here this week.

Ouiwee

Observer
I stand on the rear tire to open the tent and needed a hand hold on the rack. So, I dug into the metal bin and found a piece of stainless hand railing that I bought a few years back. I machined a couple blocks out of aluminum and bolted it on.

KIMG0229.JPG

KIMG0228.JPG

It works like a charm and should be much safer in the rain. It looks like it belongs there.

Ouiwee

Observer
We took a trip to the mountains of eastern KY over the weekend. I found a few more items missing from the camping gear, but things went much better. It is really nice to be able to take the truck wherever I want and just set up camp. KY sure is pretty this time of year.

KIMG0234.JPG

We camped on top of a ridge that required driving a logging trail to get up there. Nothing too exciting.

Serious dew and fog in the morning.

Test1.jpg

KIMG0239.JPG

Dad thought the set up would be just about perfect for hunting.

Test2.JPG

Ouiwee

Observer
I finally took the time to install a new headliner that has been sitting here for two years. The fit was perfect.

KIMG0260.JPG

The decrease in road noise is profound. If I had any idea a headliner would make so much difference, I would have installed it long ago.

The unterminated end of the tie down tracks bothered me, so I put these guys on there.

KIMG0263.JPG

When accessing the contents in the back of the truck, I found myself without a grip for getting in and out, so I machined a couple more hand holds for the rear of the rack.

KIMG0266.JPG

The grip on the side worked really well, so I stuck with the same design. I cut a hole with a holesaw without a drill bit on the mill and epoxy the tube into the saw blade kerf.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Oh man do I love looking at this truck. The camping scenery is amazing: one are of the US I haven't been to, but am dying to see.

Ouiwee

Observer
Oh man do I love looking at this truck. The camping scenery is amazing: one are of the US I haven't been to, but am dying to see.

Thanks. I have a trip planned for the middle of this month so will have more use and less build in this thread looking forward.

Ouiwee

Observer
I keep toying with the idea of building a flat bed with a canopy like they do with Land Cruisers. I would have a ton of room so could leave the back 3 feet or so open for hauling stuff. It would be a big project and it is soon winter--but I do not have a heated shop in which to work.

Alloy

It takes all the power my welder can muster for the 1/4" angle. I'm laying it on thick.

View attachment 535947

A little preheat (200F on a infrared thermo) with a propane torch will add 100A of power to a welder.

With aluminum it's always good to do a test weld and back break it to check for adhesion.

Very nice work!

Ouiwee

Observer
I machined some threaded aluminum spacers to mount the jack where it is out of the way.

KIMG0280.JPG

Same set up at the front where it is tucked up as far as it will go.

KIMG0282.JPG

KIMG0286.JPG

Mounting the jack was straightforward to do and it is nicely out of the way.

A 4.5" aluminum tube has been ordered for the other side. I intend to weld the one end flat and put a door/cap on the other end. It will hold a spare rear driveshaft and attach to the tie down tracks.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I keep toying with the idea of building a flat bed with a canopy like they do with Land Cruisers. I would have a ton of room so could leave the back 3 feet or so open for hauling stuff. It would be a big project and it is soon winter--but I do not have a heated shop in which to work.

Hmmm... Maybe use the current bed/rack as a trailer/basecamp?

Ouiwee

Observer
Hmmm... Maybe use the current bed/rack as a trailer/basecamp?

I'd keep the tent on the roof. But I see your point given how long it is...perhaps it could overhang the cab?

It would be nice to have a water tank on it somewhere. Currently there is room behind each rear wheel, but if I built a tray/canopy those spaces would be boxed in storage.

Ouiwee

Observer
A little preheat (200F on a infrared thermo) with a propane torch will add 100A of power to a welder.

With aluminum it's always good to do a test weld and back break it to check for adhesion.

Very nice work!

I'll give the torch a try next time. You are right it welds much better when hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier