Great read

ABBB

I have him blocked, but judging by the responses Billie is telling everyone how to live/think again?
Don't take it personally, he does the same to Canadians as well.

Yea, he was getting all fighty about injustices that were only happening in his imagination and taking a thread about an article on electric vehicles, trucks specifically, and turning it into a combat zone of aggrieved Americans vs. Everyone Else. Good idea to block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grassland

That was a long read but it was interesting.
I personally don't think pure electric vehicles for everyone will be the answer, nor viable in the near future.
But there are plenty of places electric vehicles work, and one day in the near future one of our vehicles will be full electric.
Until Ford gets some realistic range on the Transit 250, the work vehicles are staying gas. And boy is that a treat at 20L/100km average fuel economy in the middle of winter at $1.399 per liter.

And Ford should not have called that SUV a mustang! Lol

ABBB

That was a long read but it was interesting.
I personally don't think pure electric vehicles for everyone will be the answer, nor viable in the near future.
But there are plenty of places electric vehicles work, and one day in the near future one of our vehicles will be full electric.
Until Ford gets some realistic range on the Transit 250, the work vehicles are staying gas. And boy is that a treat at 20L/100km average fuel economy in the middle of winter at $1.399 per liter.

And Ford should not have called that SUV a mustang! Lol

I agree, it’s going to take quite some time to have comprehensive enough grid that most people in North America can travel with relative ease, probably will have to plan travel around charging stations like people did 50-100 years ago and out gas. The writer did get me thinking about advantages of autonomous vehicles, like the 6 week cross country trip my wife and I did this past summer in the US. We spent a lot of daylight time driving and too many evenings using the last of our light to find good dispersed camping sites. An autonomous vehicle could have ferried us overnight to any parking lot of trailhead and then we’d have daylight to use as we wish. Would have been a radically different kind of trip. I don’t know that I’ll ever want to give up driving but I see the advantage of an option like this. Sounds like Ford does too, they indicated in the article that they’re planning to steward into/participate in a paradigm shift related to travel, short and long distance.

I also have no idea why they called it a Mustang! But it is a great concept/platform, I’m impressed with it for what it is today and could grow into in the future.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
We are looking at a new hybrid highlander, I told my wife she keeps it 10 years and I’m certain that’ll be her last gas engine vehicle

Bobu

The writer did get me thinking about advantages of autonomous vehicles, like the 6 week cross country trip my wife and I did this past summer in the US. We spent a lot of daylight time driving and too many evenings using the last of our light to find good dispersed camping sites. An autonomous vehicle could have ferried us overnight to any parking lot of trailhead and then we’d have daylight to use as we wish. Would have been a radically different kind of trip. I don’t know that I’ll ever want to give up driving but I see the advantage of an option like this.

Autonomous vehicles that allow a deep sleep while being driven are very far away. Both from the legislation and from the technology perspective. For sure more than 10 years, probably more than 20. Watching a movie or relaxing in autonomous mode will soon be possible but that's it.

ABBB

Autonomous vehicles that allow a deep sleep while being driven are very far away. Both from the legislation and from the technology perspective. For sure more than 10 years, probably more than 20. Watching a movie or relaxing in autonomous mode will soon be possible but that's it.

I’m patient. Also highly likely I wouldn’t be able to afford anything like that for another 20 years. Sounds like the timing will be perfect.

Grassland

Ugh, 87 octane is $1.499 a liter now :(
That's like $5.66 a gallon roughly.
If there was another 80-100km range on an E Transit it would really start looking appealing right now

ABBB

Ugh, 87 octane is $1.499 a liter now :(
That's like $5.66 a gallon roughly.
If there was another 80-100km range on an E Transit it would really start looking appealing right now

Between geopolitical conflicts driving the fossil fuel markets crazy and new taxes used to stimulate growth of the electric vehicle sector, we’re all going to experience that pressure more and more. My driving miles are way down since moving earlier this year but I still recoil in horror at diesel prices when I drive past the station. At this point I typically fill up every 2-3 weeks (have the luxury of working from home) but I’m strongly considering a small electric car to use around town. Could still get a subsidy, maintenance would be next be nothing, and I’d never exceed the range.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Between geopolitical conflicts driving the fossil fuel markets crazy and new taxes used to stimulate growth of the electric vehicle sector, we’re all going to experience that pressure more and more. My driving miles are way down since moving earlier this year but I still recoil in horror at diesel prices when I drive past the station. At this point I typically fill up every 2-3 weeks (have the luxury of working from home) but I’m strongly considering a small electric car to use around town. Could still get a subsidy, maintenance would be next be nothing, and I’d never exceed the range.
I moved to home office in 2007 before it was popular ?. Wife is home office now so her plug-in hybrid which does between 15-20 miles EV only went 14 months between gas station visits lol. I try to use it for the local short stuff. EV mode it will do 80mph then the gasser kicks in. Great car!! Love it. Even has cooled seats.
I put 8.2kwh solar on the house 7 yrs ago, air gapped the panels on 4 inch risers over the garage which greatly lowered summer time temps in the garage. Did the same air gap idea 15yrs ago on the pool water heat panels on the second story roof big improvement in hot temps in the rooms under those too.
Definitely has been a great call. 3yr pay off on investment for the 8.2kwh system micro inverters.
Hope to swap in new inverters that can do off grid power supply when sun is in effect. No battery needed game changer!!! Enphase IQ8micro inverter cool technology!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles