Go big or go home:

MTVR

...another fun-filled day of filling and sanding, mostly in the area that the drawbridge will nest into and the front exterior wall.

We're hoping that we're only a day or two from laying down our first coat of epoxy on the exterior walls...

MTVR

We had about a week of rain following the wildfires, so we weren't able to start on it again until yesterday.

We're hoping to lay down the first coat of epoxy on the outside walls today...

MTVR

At this time, we're planning on shooting it matte green (not faded), in the correct color of the base coat for for woodland camo.

At some point down the road, we may complete the camo, and we may also repaint the truck to match...

I am kinda digging the exposed wood look. Not sure how it looks in person but I would think it would look amazing with a white/ black truck cab complementing window frame color.

MTVR

A layer of fiberglass (make sure it is epoxy compatible) cloth will help to prevent the plywood from (veneer cracking) checking or some cloth tape will help to seal the corners.

Thanks, but all the wood is going to be completely envapsulated in layers and layers of strong and impenetrable marine-grade epoxy. No oxygen or moisture will be able to reach it, even on the corners.

And the epoxy will be protected from UV by paint over it.

MTVR

I am kinda digging the exposed wood look. Not sure how it looks in person but I would think it would look amazing with a white/ black truck cab complementing window frame color.

Funny you mention that.

The wood looks like crap after the first coat- some wood is thirstier than others. Some parts look dry, and other parts look wet- it's all blotchy.

But if you put on a coat or two and then let it dry completely, the wood can't suck up any more epoxy, so if you sand it and then apply several more coats, it ends up looking like glass, and it does look pretty cool.

A number of people have commented on how nice it looks without paint, but not painting it just isn't an option. The wood came from numerous different trees, so each panel looks different, and the wood filler we used looks nothing like wood. But the most significant challenge, is that the epoxy, as strong and waterproof as it is, has no UV protection, and thus requires paint to protect it.

Last edited:

MTVR

We're fiddling around with the drawbridge and taking part of the day off, but we hope to scuff sand and apply two more coats on the outside walls tomorrow.

1000arms

... Are you still considering painting your box in faded-woodland camo so that your truck doesn't feel like a FNG? :cool:
At this time, we're planning on shooting it matte green (not faded), in the correct color of the base coat for for woodland camo.

At some point down the road, we may complete the camo, and we may also repaint the truck to match...
:unsure: Doesn't your truck have paint that you shouldn't breathe the dust of, and, will likely eat whatever you try to sand it with? :cool:

Assuming you survive the paint prep to complete the truck paint job, the FNG-woodland-camo truck+camper combo should look sharp!

MTVR

The military CARC "paint" is most toxic when it is being applied wet (sprayed), and we're not going to use CARC. We're also not going to have to sand any of the CARC that's already on the truck- the surface is plenty rough enough for new paint to adhere to- I actually sanded through the skin on my fingertips shortly after we bought it, rubbing something off of it by hand when it was wet. Ouch...

MTVR

We've gone back and forth as to whether to do desert sand or woodland camo. I guess we still have at least a couple of days to decide...

1000arms

We've gone back and forth as to whether to do desert sand or woodland camo. I guess we still have at least a couple of days to decide...
The desert sand might be a bit cooler, but, with your roof to be covered in solar panels, and your mini-split AC, it may not matter much.

I prefer the look of woodland camo to desert camo. I think it is because I much prefer forests to deserts. I have enjoyed my US desert trips, but, I don't feel called to visit them again they way I do with the forests and mountains I have visited and revisited.

MTVR

The desert sand might be a bit cooler, but, with your roof to be covered in solar panels, and your mini-split AC, it may not matter much.

I prefer the look of woodland camo to desert camo. I think it is because I much prefer forests to deserts. I have enjoyed my US desert trips, but, I don't feel called to visit them again they way I do with the forests and mountains I have visited and revisited.

Yes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94