Go big or go home:

Alloy

I guess we'll find out. :)

I'm not worried about the cripples or any drying out- the roof is not heavy, the 3/4" thick plywood is screwed and bonded to it inside and out with urethane construction adhesive, the stud bays will be filled completely with 3.5" thick 25psi polyiso rigid foam board, foamed around the edges to make it airtight (zero airspace inside the walls), and the entire structure will be completely encapsulated inside and out with multiple coats of marine-grade epoxy before painting.
Didn't realize that the skins are 3/4"ply .....you'll be good for 100years.

MTVR

Exactly. It's built like a tank, relative to typical camper construction. Which is appropriate considering what it's mounted on...

I'd like to add that decent wood is actually quite a good composite material for strength/weight and definitely for cost, and the low density makes it ideal for many applications. I think for a lot of people it's ideal for DIY camper builds. You just need to make sure water doesn't get to it...
We read much of the Gougeon brothers book on wood boat construction, and came to the same conclusions.

Powerboats made out of single sheets of 6mm plywood and epoxy, get pounded over waves for decades without losing any structural integrity. We're using six times that much plywood, plus rigid foam, in 5" thick composite walls.

We are storing the wood stacked indoors to keep it dry, and carefully watching temperatures and humidity before pulling the tarps off our project to work on it. Once it's encapsulated in three coats of West System marine grade epoxy inside and out, there will be zero moisture entering or leaving the wood- it will be dimensionally stabilized...

Last edited:

Recommended books for Overlanding

Americas Overland - The Driving Handbook
by Donald Greene
From $20
Into Africa
by Sam Manicom
From $25.52
Crossing the Congo: Over Land and Water in a Hard Place
by Mike Martin, Chloe Baker, Charlie Hatch-Barnwell
From $25.95
Overlanders' Handbook: Worldwide Route & Planning Guide: ...
by Chris Scott
From $29.95
Motorcycle Messengers 2: Tales from the Road by Writers w...
by Jeremy Kroeker, Ted Simon, Lois Pryce, Billy Ward,...
From $9.99

MTVR

How will you deal with penetrations?
We keep the penetrations to a minimum, we keep them to the underside, we try to fit them close, we epoxy the insides of the holes themselves, we foam them with urethane foam to keep the fitting from moving around, and we RTV them from the outside.

MTVR

I want to know more about this here Cider.
Oak barrel-aged.

Surprisingly tart for blueberries.

The bourbon barrel flavor was not up front, but we could both taste the basil, which made it taste more like an exotic cocktail than a cider.

I prefer very dry ciders, and I like oak barrel-aged ciders. I absolutely do not care for the typical American-style fizzy, sugary, low-alcohol "hard" ciders. This one was a little sweet (not too sweet), and I must admit that what sweetness it did have, worked very well with the basil and against the tartness.

20200809_155241.jpg

Last edited:
Oak barrel-aged.

Surprisingly tart for blueberries.

The bourbon barrel flavor was not up front, but we could both taste the basil, which made it taste more like an exotic cocktail than a cider.

I prefer very dry ciders, and I like oak barrel-aged ciders. I absolutely do not care for the typical American-style fizzy, sugary, low-alcohol "hard" ciders. This one was a little sweet (not too sweet), and I must admit that what sweetness it did have, worked very well with the basil and against the tartness.

View attachment 604354
Oh that does sound good.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Drive Nacho Drive: A Journey from the American Dream to t...
by Brad Van Orden, Sheena Van Orden
From $15.95
4WD Driving Skills: A Manual for On- and Off-Road Travel
by Vic Widman
From $17.27

dreadlocks

They sell these lil adapters on Amazon that turn any growler into a mini-keg, all yeh gotta do to your camper fridge is get a hose through it and a tap then voila, camping kegerator.. cuz I know you need more things to think of :p