Gnarvan AWD Express build.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Here you can see how much the plastic panel stuck out. I ended up making a pie cut on the sides of the bottom piece, heating and bending it in, and then plastic welding the cuts back together.
263465a311cb189b55cfa8865530cbda.jpg

Some more pics of the sink and the middle panel I took out.
e3f7f8f21916ca12f4d3e40c83e728eb.jpg

52d0581377ae7f273b99c214457de780.jpg

a7cc82000e509ffae82e3781f02fe05f.jpg

And as you can see we got our first accumulating snow storm here at home and hope to be roaming in search of powder soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slapmackie

Observer
The seat base mod was pretty straight forward. I cut out a 1-5/8" strip out of the middle horizontally and then welded it back together. I used a 4-1/2" cut off wheel in a grinder to cut it. I was able to bend the frame a little bit to make the tapers match up when shortened. After welding I used a flap disc to clean up the visible welds on the outside. Then paint and install.
View attachment 376653
View attachment 376651
View attachment 376650
View attachment 376649
View attachment 376652
View attachment 376648
View attachment 376654
View attachment 376656
View attachment 376655

Killer man, yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking would need to be done. Luckily I work with a bunch of welders so I'll get to choppin and let them weld it up for me. Thanks man! Totally digging your sink setup btw, pretty slick!

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Hinges finally arrived for the door galley, so I got the drop down door built and installed. Also moved the shower hose to the cabinet and lengthened the hose. Just need to run the sink drain line, the waterless p-trap I ordered didn't fit the sink drain. May just run without one for now.
Still trying to decide on a latch. The ones I have on the other cabinets and doors would stick out on the counter side of the door. Trying to avoid making the counter less useful. Fortunately the drop down supports keep the door closed for now.
6728e133f9ec46367b5995ae4e50cf5e.jpg

f156f7464b67d9f4a46e910e77a7795c.jpg

e22c42e0343286f405a52e9246637e2f.jpg

6f3d6303fcab8ebb5ba929a383d5409a.jpg

4f9978d8975a68128f2c0d11e15e7203.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer
TeleSteve, what about some magnets recessed into the cabinet face frame with the steel plates recessed into the door ?

TeleSteve

Adventurer
TeleSteve, what about some magnets recessed into the cabinet face frame with the steel plates recessed into the door ?
The dropdown door supports have a stay close feature that work pretty well to hold the door closed, probably better than a magnet would. I am just thinking a positive latch would be better for contents that might slide around during driving and to reduce any rattling.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Thanks, my ski season ended on x-mas eve with a broken neck. So the wife and I decided I needed to get out of the house so we headed to Big Sur. It was a little disappointing that so much was closed between the slides and fire, but we made the best of it. We mostly hiked, took in the scenery, and ate. Which is about the limit of my adventures until my neck heels.
Your van is looking great too, wished I would of taken the time to check out your masterpiece of a pop top.

Last edited:

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Same here, the limited coastal access surprised us too. Bummer about the neck but glad to hear it wasn't worse. I've lost a few friends on the mountain, happens too frequently.

Mend well!

tBatt

Saw you parked at Alta yesterday or the day before. Was hoping to catch a look inside but it looks great from the forums and what I saw outside. Hell of a pow day!

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Thanks, been hitting it pretty hard. Heavier powder at Sun Valley Tuesday and Wednesday. Nice light and deep powder at Snow Basin Thursday and Friday. Alta yesterday, we got there later then planned due to traffic. It was little harder to get the goods. We have been spoiled so far on this trip. Plan to hit Alta tomorrow as this next storm hits. Then heading up to Jackson Hole for couple days, and finally Grand Targhee for the Big Mountain Tele comp.
The Gnarvan has been working great!

TeleSteve

Adventurer
I will try to get some pictures soon. My stall at this point is just a plastic mortar mixing pan, at some point I plan to make a curtain that will snap into it. I have just been using it outside for now. The shower head is just a standard kitchen sink sprayer that stows away inside the sink cabinet (always connected). It just tees into the sink supply line. I am using a shower mixer valve to control hot and cold water to both the sink faucet and shower sprayer before it goes out to the side door. My whole water system is plumbed out of 1/2" PEX, although I stepped down to 3/8" poly tube after the shower mixing valve going out to the side door.
Let me know if there is something specific you would like to see.

Last edited:

riNR

Observer
First post to this forum, but have been lurking and benefitting from the great information on this site. I have been searching for a four wheel drive van since February and finally decided on a 2010 Express AWD. My main use for this van is for a winter travel camper vehicle to support my skiing addiction. It will also be used for year round outdoor activities such as mountain biking, rock climbing, fly fishing, and getting to trail heads. It will be used for moderate offroad use, but not too extreme. I have a 69 bronco that I have built and upgraded over the last 24 years that is set up really well for offroad trail and rock crawling. Here is the van as I purchased it:
View attachment 289914
It is a no window cargo van with 3.73 gears and G80 locking differential. It has remote power locks, power windows, and the wraparound headlights with chrome grill, and double side doors. I was hoping to also get rear and side door push out windows, cruise control, and tilt steering. I will likely add or live with out these.
My current plans for the van are to make an insulated and heated camper interior and add a 4-5" lift with some 33" tires.
So far I have installed a suspension lift using torsion keys, front shock spacers (temporary until I buy longer shocks probably Bilstein 5100 #24-186643), 2" rear lift blocks, and longer KYB 3/4 ton Express rear shocks (KYB 554348). I might upgrade rear springs to 3/4 ton suburban springs, but will wait to see how it rides once it is built out and loaded, drives well empty. This was all pretty easy and most of the information came from this forum. Thank you for that!
Here it is with the 2-3" suspension lift
View attachment 289908
I also did a 2" body lift. This was a little more to bite off, I wasn't able to find any aftermarket kits or information for more than a 1" body lift (zurens build). The body lift was pretty straight forward using twelve 2" body lift spacers and 12- M14.2 x 150mm long bolts. A few modification are needed to make everything work properly. I had to make 2" fan shroud spacers to drop the lower shroud down. This required some minor trimming of the bottom two corners to clear the bottom of the core support and two new holes drilled in the shroud. For spacers I used about 3 feet of 1"x2" .095 wall aluminum tube cut and mitered to follow the shape of the shroud seems. Six longer M6 x 170 mm bolts are needed to connect the upper and lower shroud. The steering intermediate shaft was not long enough so it was cut, sleeved and welded to extend it 2". Aftermarket extensions may be available through Performance Accessories, but cost around $150. That is all that needs modifying.
A 2" body lift creates some big bumper to body gaps so the bumper mounting brackets needed modifying. The fronts were the most work. I removed the bottom two lips and welded new pieces in to create the 2" rise, A 2" square tube is used to space the top down. This requires a tiny bit of trimming to the front frame horns, about 1/4". If you don't mind trimming more (about 1.5" you could just remove the bottom lip and drill a hole in the bottom of the bracket.
Before:
View attachment 289911
After:
View attachment 289912
The rear bumper was pretty simple, It only requires one new slot in the end of the frame horn and one slot on the bumper bracket lengthened. The bolt spacing needed to get a little closer so I used the bolt tabs from the side support brackets. The side support brackets can just be moved up one hole and only use one bolt instead of two. The spare tire will likely be mounted to swing out carrier, but if not I will either move the hole mount up for more ground clearance and to utilze the lowering hoist hole in the body. A hole could be drilled in the plastic bumper cover to allow it to work in its current location.
Middle slot was added
View attachment 289909
Bottom slot was extended up and down
View attachment 289910

Here is the van with 2-3" suspension lift and 2" body lift:
View attachment 289913
The bumpers were test fitted with the modified brackets but left off so I can strip the chrome and paint them black, I will also paint the chrome grill while it is off.

I am currently shopping for wheels and tires will probably go with the new BFG All Terrain KO around 33" tall.

Thank you to all you AWD Express/Savana guys who have shared your builds!

Which 2" spacers did you use for the body lift?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne