GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Accrete

Explorer
Has anyone managed to mouse proof their gm van?..Anyone know?

We've had good experience with a product called "Fresh Cab" (example link at Amazon).
We live full time in a 40ft toy hauler and take the van (wife's DD) once every few weeks throughout the year and no issues in either rig as long as we keep the FC fresh (we change the bags out once every ~2months or so~).

Thom

kntr

Observer
Does anyone know what size tire will fit in the stock location underneath the AWD? I need a 275 or 285 spare.

zuren

Adventurer
Does anyone know what size tire will fit in the stock location underneath the AWD? I need a 275 or 285 spare.

I currently have a 265/70-16 in that spot. I would have to look to see how much space I have left.

But honestly, I would encourage you to consider going to a bumper or hitch tire carrier. The GM winch and "safety catch" for locking the tire into place in the factory location is a prime candidate for rusting and seizing up; I've had problems before. I'm considering a something like this:

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate/

Con - pretty pricey

Pro - retain use of the receiver for a trailer, other accessories available, can be easily swapped to the next vehicle

kntr

Observer
I currently have a 265/70-16 in that spot. I would have to look to see how much space I have left.

But honestly, I would encourage you to consider going to a bumper or hitch tire carrier. The GM winch and "safety catch" for locking the tire into place in the factory location is a prime candidate for rusting and seizing up; I've had problems before. I'm considering a something like this:

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate/

Con - pretty pricey

Pro - retain use of the receiver for a trailer, other accessories available, can be easily swapped to the next vehicle

$900 can buy a lot of WD-40 and elbow grease. lol

I'm currently running 265s in the winter and soon 285s in the sumer. How hard would it be on the van to run a 265 spare with 285s?

macexpress

Observer
It would ruin the transfer case. The computer would think that tire is spinning faster thus assume its slipping and transfer power to the other tires trying to get them to the same speed.

dleeallen

Adventurer
The timing of this is perfect. I'm getting 265/70/17s put on my van tomorrow and didn't even consider the spare! Oops... Oh well, didn't really need that $250 anyway...

Choff

Adventurer
JUST WENT THROUGH THIS WITH SPARE TIRE ISSUE ON 2005 AWD SAVANNA VAN
I AM RUNNING GOODYEAR TRIPPLE TREAD ON ALL FOURS AND SPARE TIRE ALSO WITH SAME RIMS ON VAN

P265/70R17 WILL FIT UNDER FOR SPARE , HAD TO PUT AN NEW SPARE DROP DOWN WITH CABLE ,MINE WAS FROZE AND WOULD NOT BUDGE.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS, I AM A DRAFTSMAN !!!!

Last edited:

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
NO WORRIES! ME TOO:
3155304.jpg

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Will a 285 fit?

It will fit but it will hang lower and be pushed to the driver side slightly by the exhaust hanger. The frame the tire rests up against tapers down to the sides so it will make the top of the tire a bit lower. And the obvious tire width increase will make it even lower.

nocorider

1500 AWD Steering Stabilizer Info?

Anyone have any info on dampening the steering feedback on the AWD front end? I have a 2009 AWD with 65K miles. 2" Bould Offroad lift, 265 70 17 BFGs. Rides great but tends to get a little rattled when cruising on the highway on rough roads. Maybe this is just the way it is? I don't have any experience with other vans but on past vehicles steering dampeners seem to help this with lifts and heavy tires.

Thanks for any guidance.

TheEL

Observer
For those of you that have installed a backup camera into your chevy AWD (mine is a 2007) where did you tap into a reverse line to make your monitor turn on when the car is put into reverse? I have had the camera installed for about a year but am about to do some stereo upgrades and would like to add this function. Its simple enough to navigate to the camera on my head unit but having it turn on automatically would be real nice...

wjeeper

Anyone have any info on dampening the steering feedback on the AWD front end? I have a 2009 AWD with 65K miles. 2" Bould Offroad lift, 265 70 17 BFGs. Rides great but tends to get a little rattled when cruising on the highway on rough roads. Maybe this is just the way it is? I don't have any experience with other vans but on past vehicles steering dampeners seem to help this with lifts and heavy tires.

Thanks for any guidance.
I am of the opinion that steering stabilizers are frequently added in an attempt to band-aid alignment problems and worn out parts. However when used on a well designed suspension they play the important function of dampening the effects of bigger tires. I have been playing around with designs for a dual steering stabilizer brackets for the AWD vans. There just isn't anything out there for our vehicles

I know the exact steering feeling you have. My guess is that your front end doesn't have enough caster. I know a few of us with lifted AWD's have a lack of caster and are experiencing similar handling issues.
The problem is fourfold:
  • Problem 1- when cranking torsion bars 2+" in order to get the camber where it needs to be you have to sacrifice some caster. Caster is what provides 'return to center' and helps the vehicle track strait down the road.
  • Problem 2-Bigger tires/ lift need more caster. This is made worse by problem 1
  • Problem 3- In a van you practically sit on top of the front wheels. Not really a problem per say, but you feel the effects more.
  • Problem 4- Most techs do not understand that a lifted vehicle needs more caster. They just plug in the year/make/model and run the alignment specs that the computer tells them.

In order to fix the caster issue you either need new upper control arms that add more caster for the front-end. (our vans share the upper control arms with a 99-06 Silverado) Or run some offset upper ball joints from Moog.

A steering stabilizer would be a great addition that would help keep the bigger tires in control. Or help

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Focus on eliminating any slop in the front end with high quality parts. Replace every single part showing some wear.

Still feeling the death wobble? Have the caster set a close to +5 degrees as you can. It will fix it.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles