Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

Are they truly fiberglass panels or are they FRP?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
To your point there are a lot materials that use fiberglass as a stiffener.

The panels are white polyester based FRP (Fiberglas Reinforced Panels). The resin I am using is also polyester. It's important to use compatible materials which is why I'm using polyester instead of epoxy resin. You also have to make sure your fiberglass mat/cloth is compatible with the resin you are using. The mat I'm using has a binder that is made to dissolve when using polyester resin. The binder keeps the mat together, then dissolves and allow you to stretch the material into corners and odd shaped parts.

rruff

Explorer
Epoxy will bond polyester-resin sheets just fine. Going the other direction doesn't work as well though...

The fiberglass content has a huge effect on increasing strength (not just stiffness) and reducing thermal expansion.

ITTOG

To your point there are a lot materials that use fiberglass as a stiffener.

The panels are white polyester based FRP (Fiberglas Reinforced Panels). The resin I am using is also polyester. It's important to use compatible materials which is why I'm using polyester instead of epoxy resin. You also have to make sure your fiberglass mat/cloth is compatible with the resin you are using. The mat I'm using has a binder that is made to dissolve when using polyester resin. The binder keeps the mat together, then dissolves and allow you to stretch the material into corners and odd shaped parts.
Epoxy will bond polyester-resin sheets just fine. Going the other direction doesn't work as well though...

The fiberglass content has a huge effect on increasing strength (not just stiffness) and reducing thermal expansion.
Thanks for the responses. I was primarily enquiring because this may be the first time I have read where someone is going to use fiberglass with FRP.

Mules

Thanks for the responses. I was primarily enquiring because this may be the first time I have read where someone is going to use fiberglass with FRP.
Come to think about it, I haven't seen anyone else do this. I wanted to keep the exterior as smooth as possible, and this way, I don't have to build a mold for the fiberglass. The FRP is pretty easy to use and it seemed the easiest/fastest way, but we'll see.

rruff

Explorer
Come to think about it, I haven't seen anyone else do this. I wanted to keep the exterior as smooth as possible, and this way, I don't have to build a mold for the fiberglass. The FRP is pretty easy to use and it seemed the easiest/fastest way, but we'll see.

Should be fine. Alternatively you could have made your shell out of foam and then hand-laid the fiberglass. You would have needed to use epoxy though... and then paint it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne