Gas - Plastic or metal

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I've been using good 'ol Blitz cans (metal) for over thirty years. With a fresh o-ring every ten years or so, I've never had an issue.
Cheers

WSS

Rock Stacker
Here in California in the BLM and NF, it is a $300 fine per can (if it has gasoline in it) if it is not CARB approved. The old steel cans are a no no. Most plastic cans do not have the CARB cert as well. I carry Rotopax now. At first, I did not like them simply because I "had to comply". Now I have found the mounts useful for a variety of uses. Long trips or when gas is hard to get, I carry two 3gl cans, on easier day or weekend trips, I carry one 2gl gas and one 2gl distilled water. I also have extended mounts to carry two 2gl on the same mount if needed. Rotopax makes a first aid kit and tool kit in the same profile as the 2gl cans. Very versatile. They have two downsides, 1) gotta do it in Ca. 2) pricey $$

pluton

Adventurer
Here in California in the BLM and NF, it is a $300 fine per can (if it has gasoline in it) if it is not CARB approved.

If you carried CARB-compliant nozzles with you to show the officers, then your fuel carrying system would be CARB-compliant, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Here in California in the BLM and NF, it is a $300 fine per can (if it has gasoline in it) if it is not CARB approved. The old steel cans are a no no. Most plastic cans do not have the CARB cert as well. I carry Rotopax now. At first, I did not like them simply because I "had to comply". Now I have found the mounts useful for a variety of uses. Long trips or when gas is hard to get, I carry two 3gl cans, on easier day or weekend trips, I carry one 2gl gas and one 2gl distilled water. I also have extended mounts to carry two 2gl on the same mount if needed. Rotopax makes a first aid kit and tool kit in the same profile as the 2gl cans. Very versatile. They have two downsides, 1) gotta do it in Ca. 2) pricey $$

Care to provide a regulatory citation for that one? I would be interested to see where it comes from.

Reactions: WSS

WSS

Rock Stacker
Google is your friend. I was told by a ranger (on a trail in Big Bear) that if I had gasoline in my non-CARB gas cans, it was a $300 fine per can. I did not get a ticket. I do not know the code or law. I was also warned by the sports shop selling the adventure pass that it was a thing. I have a bunch of Jerry cans filled with gas still, but not for transportation.

WSS

Rock Stacker
Interestingly enough, BLM, USFS, among other Govt. Land agencies are not allowed carrying plastic fuel contaniers either.
Btw, not 100% correct, they allow plastic Dolmar style fuel cans. But I suspect its due to their low capacity and maybe a restriction of how many may be carried per vehicle.

I believe it has to do with CARB certification. New cans that have a CARB cert number are legal, steel or otherwise as I have heard. More to do with how it pours. I think a "loophole" is not to have a spout in it, just a cap.

WSS

Rock Stacker
If you carried CARB-compliant nozzles with you to show the officers, then your fuel carrying system would be CARB-compliant, wouldn't it?

I believe so. But I have also heard that the CARB cert has something to do with permeation. If I understand the CARB law, if you have a "non-CARB" can with just a cap and no nozzle, it is legal. If you have a nozzle in a non carb can, it is not.

BorealOverland

I personally carry and have carried 20L NATO style metal jerrycans with either Diesel or gasoline for longer trips..
Never had any leaks or nasty odor, even when i carried one laying flat on it's side for 3 weeks, not a drip.
The plastic ones i have used (filled with gasoline not diesel) smelled very bad on hotter days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne