Garmin Overlander

Pappy

Well, I missed the $100 off sale a few months back. I decided I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice. I finally made the purchase. Background ...

I currently use a GPSMAP 64st, an inReach SE+, and a Samsung Tab A (2017) tablet. My thought was to consolidate the Tablet and the 64st. I use the tablet loaded with the inReach Earthmate app, which I happen to like, except it doesn't handle .gpx tracks well (at all). The 64st gets loaded with any .gpx files I need. I use the 64st for tracking and recording my travels. Those tracks are uploaded into Basecamp when I get home. It took me awhile to warm up to Basecamp from Mapsourse, but I've started transferring all my old tracks from Mapsourse to Basecamp.

This will be a two part review. Part one will be my first impressions, mostly getting the device set up. Part two will be after I get the thing into the field, hopefully later this week.

First impression. Damn, this this is slow to download maps over wifi. With Earthmate on the Tab A I can connect to the 5G wifi in the house, and maps download lickity-split sitting on the couch watching TV. I have been unable to connect the Overlander to the 5G in the house, but can connect to the 2.4G. Maps download at a slugs pace, downloads frequently hang up, and it's not uncommon to have a download error. More than once I've needed to turn the unit off, then back on. It would be nice if there were two options with the power button, "Power off" and a "Restart" option. There is also an inconsistency with download progress displays. The status bar at the bottom does not always display progress (mostly not), but if I swipe down the download box does show progress. Also, it appears that the device comes with 32GB storage for the maps, which is a joke. It does have a micro-SD card slot, but I'm not sure if downloaded maps will overflow onto the card. With the Earthmate app on the tablet I can specifically tell the app to store the maps on the SD card. This option does not appear to exist on the Overlander. All that said, making a USB connection to the computer seems to solve the download speed.

Which brings me to the SD card. It appears that its only function is to import .gpx files into the Overlander. You load the card from your computer, put the card into the Overlander, then import the .gpx file(s) into the Overlander. When you plug the Overlander into your computer (micro-USB) the computer does find the unit, but it does not find the SD card. It would be nice to drag and drop the .gpx files directly onto the SD card without removing it. That said, I was able to drag-and-drop .gpx files into the Overlander's Garmin/GPX folder, then import them like I normally do on the 64st. I do believe the documentation says not to do this, but it works.

Power. This thing is a hog. It uses two cables. The micro-USB attaches to the computer for data transfer and updating. The mini-USB is for power, and the Overlander comes with a 12V cord. Yes, you can connect the unit with a mini-USB to your computer, but it will charge at a slower pace, and it tells you so. You can also use a 110V fast charger.

One feature I like is the ability to connect your phone, and use the phone hands-free. This is a nice feature for those of us that don't have hand-free calling built into our vehicles.

A second feature I like is the turn-by-turn street navigation without a Google Maps connection.

It appears this will replace the tablet, but not the 64st. It's not a full feature GPS like the 64st, but for what I mostly use the 64st for in the vehicle (tracking), it will do just dandy. I will use the 64st outside the vehicle hiking. I have several apps on the tablet that I use in the field that don't require a connection. Those are also on the phone, which I will carry anyways. Also, I have the inReach sync'd to the phone and not the Overlander. The phone is more portable. So, this replaces, for the moment, the tablet, and it should keep the 64st off the windshield.

moto-treks

On the road
Glad to see another taking the plunge :)

I too bought this to replace 2 GPS devices. After owning the Overlander for 6 month and using it extensively for 3 month I'm happy with the device. Now I only have 1 GPS to deal with.

I don't upgraded maps directly via the Overlander because 1) I like keeping Basecamp updated with the current maps and 2) early on updating via the Overlander corrupted the device (fixed with an Overlander OS upgrade). You can restart the Overlander by holding the power button down for 12 seconds.

The Overlander will automatically tack for you. Make sure you turn on the Travel History. These tracks can be loaded into Basecamp.

Speaking of getting use to Basecamp, wait until you try the Explore website. The good thing about the site is that the data can sync with the Overlander via WiFi. Forget route planning in Explore as it doesn't autoroute so, for me, it's worthless. I did use Explore for route planning when down in Baja last winter. I was able to define some routes but it was painful.

Look forward to your next update.

JackW

Explorer
After rereading all nine pages and double checking my inventory of old, obsolete, gps devices I've decided not to throw any more money at Garmin. I have Garmin models GPS II+, GPS III+, 2610, and Monterra, a Magellan Roadmate, and a Lowrance Baja 490. Of all of them my favorite is/was the Lowrance Baja.

I've ordered a Samsung Galaxy Active 2 - 8" rugged tablet off eBay which I will load up with Back Country Navigator and Gaia. It is IP67 rated with 3GB ram and 16GB of memory and can accept a 256GB micro SD card. It also has a replaceable battery and has port connections on the outer case that will mate with a RAM cradle. Ive experimented with a 7" tablet running Gaia in my Defender 90 and I think the 8" size will work well in the cramped front compartment of an old Land Rover. The 10" would just be too big. I'll get it some time next week and will report back.

I've spent so much money on gps devices over the years that I'm dismayed at how quickly the newest shiny toy goes obsolete. The Monterra was the final straw from Garmin, it's a nice unit but Garmin decided to discontinue it two weeks after I bought one so support is non-existent. Anyone interested in a collection of gps units?

Pappy

Speaking of getting use to Basecamp, wait until you try the Explore website.

I've been using the Explore website for several years with my inReach. I have no idea how it will handle the Overlander, yet. I can say I do not like the Library Collections of my tracks. For some reason, I just don't get it. Basecamp makes sense to me, so I will probably keep using that. Unlike some of the comments earlier, my Overlander sync'd with Basecamp just fine. At least I didn't see any issues. I will know more in a week after I go back out into the Covid-free weeds.

Is Travel History the same as Track Recorder? That is the only tracking I see. It's one feature I absolutely need since I record where I adventure for future use.

moto-treks

On the road
Is Travel History the same as Track Recorder? That is the only tracking I see. It's one feature I absolutely need since I record where I adventure for future use.

Well, sort of. Both options record tracks. Track Recorder will record your adventure but you need to remember to turn it on. It also will start your InReach tracking feature if you have the InReach synced to the Overlander. When you turn Track Recorder off you are asked if you want to Resume Recording, Save Track to Garmin Explore or Discard the Track. If you save the track it will be sent to Explore the next time the Overlander is connected to WiFi. It also stops the InReach tracking. (If I remember correctly the InReach will also control this function on the Overlander.) So, if you have an InReach logging your travel and the Track Recorder turned on you will log in realtime to Explore during your trip via the InReach. Once you turn Track Recorder off and select, Save Track to Garmin Explore, you also get a "Track Summary" saved to Explore.

Travel History also records your adventure but only on the Overlander. These tracks do not get sent to Explore. You can access/save them via Basecamp. Also, once the Travel History option is turned on from the settings->navigation->route preferences page it stays on and is always recoding. The Travel History tracks can be cleared from the same page.

I use Travel History to record my adventure for future use and Track Recorder to start my InReach logging. Because Travel History is always recoding I don't lose a track due to forgetting to turn Track Recorder on. When I start a trip I usually clear the travel history to remove the clutter and/or old track data.

Pappy

Well, sort of. Both options record tracks. Track Recorder will record your adventure but you need to remember to turn it on. It also will start your InReach tracking feature if you have the InReach synced to the Overlander. When you turn Track Recorder off you are asked if you want to Resume Recording, Save Track to Garmin Explore or Discard the Track. If you save the track it will be sent to Explore the next time the Overlander is connected to WiFi. It also stops the InReach tracking. (If I remember correctly the InReach will also control this function on the Overlander.) So, if you have an InReach logging your travel and the Track Recorder turned on you will log in realtime to Explore during your trip via the InReach. Once you turn Track Recorder off and select, Save Track to Garmin Explore, you also get a "Track Summary" saved to Explore.

Travel History also records your adventure but only on the Overlander. These tracks do not get sent to Explore. You can access/save them via Basecamp. Also, once the Travel History option is turned on from the settings->navigation->route preferences page it stays on and is always recoding. The Travel History tracks can be cleared from the same page.

I use Travel History to record my adventure for future use and Track Recorder to start my InReach logging. Because Travel History is always recoding I don't lose a track due to forgetting to turn Track Recorder on. When I start a trip I usually clear the travel history to remove the clutter and/or old track data.

Excellent. When I'm out my inReach tracking is on all the time. I never turn it off, so having the Overlander turn it on and off via Track Recorder won't work for me. Like I said, though, I have the inReach sync'd to my phone, so this isn't an issue. I will look at Travel History. I'm not sure I want my Overlander tracking all the time. InReach, yes. My usual routine is to turn on tracking when I start my day (GPSMAP64st) and turn it off when I make camp, also making a waypoint. That way I have a log for the day, instead of having two weeks of travel on one track. I will play with both next time out. Thanks for the settings->navigation->route preferences directions. I never would have found that.

Also, as an unrelated side note. The magnet mount with the AMPS ball makes a great desktop kick stand.

Interesting. I just did the settings->navigation->route preferences thing, and Travel History was already turned on. Thanks for the help.

moto-treks

On the road
Just finished a 6k mile trip with the Overlander in "RV" mode along with several off-road trips. The RV guidance worked will as all low bridges were avoided and the road selected for routing matched other RV applications. Offroad, the Overlander performed as expected following tracks or forest service roads. The ability to download satellite imagery has been a benefit too when validating trails while in the field.

Loading tracks has improved from the initial release. I've been able to send tracks via Garmin's Explore website or load directly via the microSD card.
The backup camera has been working as expected. Next up is to add a forward facing camera.

moto-treks

On the road
For those of you using macOS to access your Overlander, you can download the Android File Transfer utility to access all the files on the Overlander. Download the utility here

While I have not not tried, my understanding is that it's possible to “sideload” .apk files into the device. .apk apps can be found here: https://apkpure.com/app

Retired my Montana after 8 years for faithful service. The Overlander was $499 at Best Buy and I sold my Montana for $200. So definitely looking forward to working with the Overlander. It's being delivered today. I ordered the HD Traffic cable and hardwired it into the Colorado.

Very nice surprise. All the hardware is now RAM Mount aluminum hardware. I know some of the early reviews had the regular Garmin suction mount. I’ll be updating as I play with this more.

I’ve seen so much negative press, so hopefully I can document as much as possible and answer the questions I had.

67b0032fbac69041356310d50655cf4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moto-treks

On the road
My Overlander came with one RAM mount. I just switched to using the RAM mount in my Jeep as the smaller diameter Garmin mount could not hold the Overlander over rough terrain. The HD Traffic cable works well too. I only use that while traveling in the RV.

85_Ranger4x4

My Overlander came with one RAM mount. I just switched to using the RAM mount in my Jeep as the smaller diameter Garmin mount could not hold the Overlander over rough terrain. The HD Traffic cable works well too. I only use that while traveling in the RV.

Mine too, just one ram mount and a suction cup.

I checked into the Overlander briefly awhile ago but did a lol at the price, actually sent a pic to my wife to get a rise out of her over the price and moved on.

Last night we were at an electronics store and she brings this over, "is this what you was wanting?"

I think the box had been opened but everything was still sealed inside and everything was there. So now I have a new toy to figure out.

I think $700 is steep but for what I paid it does have a lot of bang per buck especially for those of us with older rigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online