Garmin Overlander

moto-treks

On the road
I posted about side loading apps here and IIRC another member posed about actually getting some apps to load. So, yes you can - I'm not an Android person so I don't know how but it is possible. From my perspective, I want to leave the device as a GPS only device. I'll use my phone as an "app" device.

Last edited:

gasgas

I posed about side loading apps here and IIRC another member posed about actually getting some apps to load. So, yes you can - I'm not an Android person so I don't know how but it is possible. From my perspective, I want to leave the device as a GPS only device. I'll use my phone as an "app" device.
Thanks Moto-trek; I will check out your link. Is this the only Garmin that is Android based?Right now,I run a
7"driveSmart mounted on my Yamaha ATV. Sometimes Avenza will have a better map than garmin at times.
Sure be nice to have one device that could do it all.

moto-treks

On the road
Thanks Moto-trek; I will check out your link. Is this the only Garmin that is Android based?Right now,I run a
7"driveSmart mounted on my Yamaha ATV. Sometimes Avenza will have a better map than garmin at times.
Sure be nice to have one device that could do it all.

I've used Avenza a few times in the past for hiking and they can be very good. The Overlander not only has the standard Garmin map like in the driveSmart but also topo maps and satellite imagery (download needed for the imagery). You can also download openStreet maps. The topo map is not the typical Garmin map. If you go to explore.garmin (account required) you can get an idea of the topo map detail.

gasgas

I've used Avenza a few times in the past for hiking and they can be very good. The Overlander not only has the standard Garmin map like in the driveSmart but also topo maps and satellite imagery (download needed for the imagery). You can also download openStreet maps. The topo map is not the typical Garmin map. If you go to explore.garmin (account required) you can get an idea of the topo map detail.
Thanks Moto-trek, I will check it out.

RMAC67

Guys...
I haven't "yet" read through this whole post but I've been using Basecamp for years for trip planning and as my Library for storing all my past Trips and hopefully future trips. I've got over 14,000 waypoints and 4500 tracklogs covering all of Australia. I'd like to keep BC going purely for this reason but I also would like to upgrade my old Montana 650 GPS to the Overlander version, but from the small amount I've read on here, it's not possible... Just curious but what happens when u connect the Overlander to your PC and thus to BC? On the left-hand side of the screen, what to u see? If u can see any USB drives that u plugin, surely u would also see the Overlander come up as a Device? If not, is there some way u can get into the heart of the Overlander's internal settings and change the settings to make it work on BC??

I really would like to purchase an Overlander unit but I don't want to continually have to do some long workaround to get all my GPS data onto the device every time I go on a touring/exploring trip. The beauty of BC is the ability to be able create/modify tracks easily as well.... can't see any way of doing that in the Garmin Explore online Tool...

moto-treks

On the road
I have used Basecamp for years and keep all my waypoints, tracks and routes there too. I connect the Overlander to Basecamp but only to get access to the recorded daily track logs. I did move a track from Basecamp to the Overlander but it would not import to the explore app. To get tracks and waypoints into the Overlander you can use the web based Explorer app and then sync or the micro-SD card. I use both methods. While I’ve not tried this it might be possible to download a track to the Overlander’s micro-SD card via the android file transfer and then import to the Explore app.

The Overlander is not like the Montana (I have one of those too) when it comes to loading tracks from Basecamp. However, the advantages the Overlander has over a Montana outweigh the inconvenience of track/waypoint loading.

RMAC67

I have used Basecamp for years and keep all my waypoints, tracks and routes there too. I connect the Overlander to Basecamp but only to get access to the recorded daily track logs. I did move a track from Basecamp to the Overlander but it would not import to the explore app. To get tracks and waypoints into the Overlander you can use the web based Explorer app and then sync or the micro-SD card. I use both methods. While I’ve not tried this it might be possible to download a track to the Overlander’s micro-SD card via the android file transfer and then import to the Explore app.

The Overlander is not like the Montana (I have one of those too) when it comes to loading tracks from Basecamp. However, the advantages the Overlander has over a Montana outweigh the inconvenience of track/waypoint loading.

Cheers for that.... I've since been told by Garmin that when using the Overlander with Basecamp, u need to copy the files to the mSD card and from there using the Overlander Explore within the unit to import the file into the Overlander for viewing...
My main concern was not being able to transfer my trip planning files into Overlander and if this can be done in a similar way to the Montana, then happy days... (I usually transfer my files to either the Montana Internal HD or onto the mSD card - both methods work fine)

Last edited:

moto-treks

On the road
My workflow is to export from Basecamp to the micro-SD card on the computer and then import that into the explore app on the Overlander. So, in theory going from Basecamp to the Micro-SD card via a Basecamp connection should be the same.

Either way it’s not as seamless as transfers to the Montana or another supported GPS. I’m guessing that Garmin wants to end Basecamp and just support the explore app like they did with Mapsource.

StephenConey

Hi ;
So,considering this Overlander is Android based, can a guy load additional Android apps?
Could you run the Avenza app.for example?

Thanks
I have side-loaded Avenza app and works ok-ish. The map store only presents free maps and you can’t upgrade from the free version to the plus or pro version (in the app). i assume this is because all of the Google Play services are not available On the device. Otherwise seems to function normally.

RMAC67

I have side-loaded Avenza app and works ok-ish. The map store only presents free maps and you can’t upgrade from the free version to the plus or pro version (in the app). i assume this is because all of the Google Play services are not available On the device. Otherwise seems to function normally.

I was also told that u can install a OBII Bluetooth adaptor into the OBII port and then utilise a OBII App on the Overlander to monitor your vehicles various gauges/temps, etc. I personally haven't done this though...

Obelisk

TL;DR: To quote a meme “My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.” Even after two years of updates, the Garmin Overlander is an overpriced poser with delusions of off-road capability.

Part 1 - Garmin Overlander experience

I have been a Garmin handheld user since the GPS II+. For the last number of years, I have used a Garmin Oregon 650T handheld for outdoor, off-road and on-road navigator. I also use the NMEA 0183 interface and a Garmin tempe sensor with the Oregon 650T. Recently my need has developed for something with the Oregon’s feature set, but with a larger screen and hands-free calling support. The Montana 700 series and GPSMAP 276Cx seem like great models, except they (somewhat understandably) don’t include a hands-free calling interface.

After the usually scrutiny of the available product options, I read and watched a number of reviews and various forums regarding the Garmin Overlander. I subsequently contacting Garmin support to investigate if shortcomings identified in reviews had been addressed with software updates. With some trepidation, I thought it would be worthwhile to give the Garmin Overlander a try. For context, the Overlander costs CAD $950, but was recently on sale for CAD $820. A current model iPad Air starts at CAD $780, an iPad mini starts at CAD $650, and a Microsoft Surface Go 3 Platinum (Core i3, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, 1920x1280 10.5” display, etc.) is CAD $820.

Please find below my observations, impressions and issues with a newly purchased Garmin Overlander in December 2021. Apologies if you have heard all of the following before. I am posting this as I was unable to find/confirm this information, prior to purchasing the Overlander, and thought others might find it useful. (The Garmin manual is terrible!)

The device:
  • Current Garmin Overlander software version installed is 5.40.
  • After installing all available updates, the device is running Android 6.0.1 with the most recent security patch dated February 1, 2019.
  • Maybe a MediaTek MT8161 processor? (Quad core with a Mali-T720 GPU)
  • 2GB RAM, 64GB internal storage, MicroSD slot for up to a 256GB card
  • Wi-Fi appears to be 2.4 GHz 802.11n only, maxing out at 72 Mbps ☹
  • Sensors: Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Light sensor, Barometer, Magnetometer
  • Bluetooth phone connection provides audio for calls and contact lists – no media, android auto, or other functionality.
  • The included magnetic mount, that attaches the Overlander to a mounting bracket, includes a connector for the USB for power or power/traffic cable, but does not duplicate the devices 3.5mm audio output, diminishing the utility of the quick install/removal with the magnetic mount. ☹
  • Power draw is about 6 watts at 12.8 volts. This value may be slightly higher with maximum screen brightness and sound volume.
  • Side-loading “GPSTest_v3.9.16.apk” shows GPS L1 code, GLONASS L1 code with SBAS. No carrier phase or Galileo signal reception indicated.
  • Unsurprisingly, no RINEX logging as found in some of the newer Garmin handhelds.
  • Speaking with Garmin Support, the Overlander seemingly has a split personality between the "automotive" and "outdoor" segments of the company.
  • The “Ok Garmin” voice control only provides access to Driving Navigation commands. “OK Garmin, Call Mom” does nothing! There are driving jurisdictions that require hands-free calling to be activated with a single touch. The Overlander does not provide this. ☹
  • [BUG] The “File Manager” app did not see the installed SD Card. (128GB SanDisk) A work around is to go into Tools -> Settings -> Storage & USB then click on the SD Card to browse the contents. (When installing a SD Card for the first time, the user is prompted to allocate the card as internal or portable storage. I chose portable.) Other apps see the SD card without issue.
  • Physically removing the SD card can needs a bit of patience and persuasion. ☹
  • The is no percentage battery charge state indicator. Only a small graphic on the status bar and “Charging” or “Full” type status messages buried in Settings.

The “Drive” app:
  • Purchased in Canada, out of the box, on-road navigation appears to work as expected.
  • Screen updates are smooth and voice directions appear accurate and provide plenty of notice.
  • The occasionally animated highway exit graphics are very slick.
  • After using the “Where To” app to select a destination, the "Drive" app does not let the user do much, other than navigate on the road to a destination.
    • Tapping the Speed indicator to see a trip computer screen with an option to reset the fields, but no option to change fields or manage odometers.
    • Tap the “Direction” field to change it to be Time-of-Day or Elevation.
    • The “3-dot” menu provides basic route related activities and access to make a Bluetooth phone call.
  • Waypoint icons in the Drive app are too big and have distracting white boxes around them, obscuring the map.
  • Unlike some other navigation products, the Overlander does not appear to provide an “alternate route” function. This is not the same as changing the route calculation mode. Think in terms of “No, I don’t want to use that particular route (for reasons), show me an alternate fast route.”

The “Explore” app and map support:
  • The “Explore” app cannot be used without first connecting over Wi-Fi to the Internet and creating or logging in with an explore.garmin.com account. So, if explore.garmin.com ever goes down… don’t factory reset the device, as you won't be able to use the Explore app! ☹
  • Installed base maps are City Navigator versions for North and South America. Provided map options include Topo North America, OpenStreetMaps and Digital Atlas of the Earth.
  • No included satellite imagery for Canadians, but apparently a “BirdsEye Satellite Imagery Subscription” is compatible. Not sure how this would be accessed.
  • I did not find using an on map bounding box to select regions for map downloads particularly problematic.
  • Using the Explore app for the first time and experimenting with the map layers resulted in the follow:
    • Initially, with no other map layers enabled, the Explore app showed a road map with terrain shading and contour lines.
    • [BUG] Enabling the “Topo North America” layer does nothing
    • Enabling “OpenStreetMap” displays the downloaded OSM map
    • Enabling “Digital Atlas of the Earth” appears to show the base topo/road map [BUG?]
    • [BUG] Disabling all layers does not restore to factory default road map with the shading and contour lines. The map now appears to be a street map only, no topo features.
    • [BUG] Enabling the “Topo North America” layer has no effect, it does not show and topo features; the on-screen road map remains unchanged.
  • If you are thinking that explore.garmin.com map app is a replacement for BaseCamp, it clearly is not. Not even close.
  • To investigate loading older maps, the Overlander was tested with PC MapInstall and “Garmin Topo Canada v4”. When MapInstall installation completed, the relevant files were visible in Windows Explorer (file manager) on the “Overlander” storage. Opening the “Drive” app resulted in an update installing screen and then the Overlander restarted. However, beyond seeing the copied files in the storage, there is no evidence that the Topo Canada v4 map is on the device. Going into the Settings -> Navigation -> Map and Vehicle -> myMaps option does not show the Topo Canada v4 map as an option to enable. Explore app -> Map Layers - Manage Maps does not show the installed Topo Canada v4.
  • Garmin Support suggested that map products older than 3 or 4 years may not work with the Overlander. ☹ I do wonder if an updated MapInstall application could format older maps to work with newer devices. There are occasional benefits to having access to older maps – especially if you are off-road / overlanding.
  • I did speak with Backroad Mapbooks (BRMB) and they confirmed their current GPS maps are 100% compatible and functional with the Garmin Overlander. FYI – apparently a Gaia GPS subscription only provides BRMB roads and trails, but none of their POIs and other map features.
  • What about off-road navigation features? Well, as the included Topo North America maps weren’t working on the Overlander… who knows?

Continued...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles