FT-4X

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Toyota's headline reads "Four Wheeling. Scene Stealing." Hopefully that means it will be a new FJ type truck with a removable top which would be awesome. Not sure what other four wheeling scene they would be referring to unless.... rally

2017_RAV4_100AcreWood_3_9CCD3DB6776F1DF5179A099DE84AACCA7F8BDF26_low.jpg

I love Toyota perhaps more than any consumer should rationally love a company... (just see my signature, and that is only the current stable, not things like the dearly-departed T100 or FJ80)

BUT, when they say "scene stealing", just remember that this is the company with an ad campaign that proclaims that the Corolla is a "bold choice!"...

Bold as compared to what? Milque toast?

Adventurous

Explorer
I love Toyota perhaps more than any consumer should rationally love a company... (just see my signature, and that is only the current stable, not things like the dearly-departed T100 or FJ80)

BUT, when they say "scene stealing", just remember that this is the company with an ad campaign that proclaims that the Corolla is a "bold choice!"...

It's a bold choice like wearing white after Labor Day is a bold choice. It's a bold choice like wearing a belt AND suspenders. If you really want to show the world your inner ************ and rebel look no further than a Corolla.

FLnative

Observer

Haha Bold Choice was pretty good, but nothing can touch the Yaris

2011-European-Toyota-Yaris-Its-a-Car1.jpg

I like this entertaining speculation - "...Not to get schadenfreude-y, but it'd serve @Ford right for taking so long with the new #Bronco if @Toyota stole their thunder with a new FJ..."

http://jalopnik.com/toyota-might-make-the-suv-comeback-tour-a-bloodbath-1793799055

Also - "...While Toyota already has a brace of off-road-capable pickups and SUVs in its stable, the departure of the hardcore, retro-styled FJ Cruiser in 2013 left a hole in its lineup. With Ford confirming a new Bronco and Jeep's Wrangler continuing to sell like gangbusters (and it's got a new generation on the way), perhaps the Japanese automaker is keen to test the segment's waters again.

Sold between 2006 and 2013 in North America, the FJ Cruiser only enjoyed a couple years of strong sales before a precipitous decline. However, the distinctively styled body-on-frame SUV remains sought after on the used-vehicle market, and residual values are very strong. And it's not just resale prices -- the FJ Cruiser has managed to retain that sort of elusive, cult-like following that automakers prize and love to cultivate.
"

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyota-ft-4x-concept-teased-for-new-york-wrangler-bronco-rival/

I don't think I'd say they retained their value. At least here. They can easily be found in the mid to upper teens. Hell I've seen 3rd Gen 4Runners asking for more than some FJCs.

hayde89

I don't think I'd say they retained their value. At least here. They can easily be found in the mid to upper teens. Hell I've seen 3rd Gen 4Runners asking for more than some FJCs.

I think it depends where you are. The demand for FJCs in Utah and Colorado pushes prices way up. I know a few individuals that looked back east in order to find their FJs. Tacomas are also treated like gold here!

Dalko43

Explorer
I think it depends where you are. The demand for FJCs in Utah and Colorado pushes prices way up. I know a few individuals that looked back east in order to find their FJs. Tacomas are also treated like gold here!

I don't know if they'll ever be investment-grade vehicles, but I think it's safe to assume that the FJ will level off in depreciation and retain some of its value over the long run....there aren't many traditional BOF SUV's left on the market.

Dougnuts

Yeah, that's a smaller tire than my Outback has, stock. This won't be an FJ replacement, but maybe a RAV4 based version of one.

Yes, I can see that. After visiting some friends in CO, we went wheeling and they were blown away by the little 4Runner. He started looking for them (in CO) and the prices were absurd, compared to Texas. I bought my 99 Limited for 3500 in great condition. If anyone is serious about buying an FJ or other 4x4 SUV, Texas is probably the best place to find them, no rust and cheap. 4x4 Trucks on the other hand are relatively expensive here.

Arktikos

Explorer
My guess is it will be the equivalent of an AWD Scion Xb, designed to compete with the Jeep Renegade.

Good guess. Toyota has to be mindful of the fleet MPG goals, so a big, macho rig is out. Maybe even-horrors-a hybrid version will be available. Oh well, the Renegade is pretty cute. :agree:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz