Front Spring Bush Advice Please

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
6 one each side. 2 for the front pin and 4 for the rear shackle.

oWpijyfh.png

pugslyyy

Last edited:

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi All
Thank you so much for your help (really would have not attempted this without the helpful comment here), I removed the busted bushes and replaced with a couple of spares. Learnt a new trick, when the pin would not go back through the spring, start the engine and turn the wheels, straightened up the spring and the pin went straight through.
Back on the road and heading north from Alice Springs.
Cheers for now
Steve
FG649 Front Bush Replacement.jpg
Canter Front Bush Failed.jpg

pugslyyy

Hi All
Thank you so much for your help (really would have not attempted this without the helpful comment here), I removed the busted bushes and replaced with a couple of spares. Learnt a new trick, when the pin would not go back through the spring, start the engine and turn the wheels, straightened up the spring and the pin went straight through.
Cheers for now
Steve
View attachment 356803
View attachment 356804

Did you just do the pin or the shackle as well? I had more trouble getting the shackle to line up / slide into position.

Since I did the job at home I had access to my hydraulic spreader, which made moving things around much easier.

pugslyyy

What's the recommended torque? I looked but couldn't find a spec. Not saying that it wasn't there, just couldn't find the relevant page. So I took a guess and set it at 140 ft-lbs.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Replaced bush only as bushes and pins replaced 6 months ago. Been keeping grease up on regular basis and this protected pin.should now last until we get home and can replace all bushes on all springs. Turning streering wheel lined up pin perfectly, which I had though of doing that an hour earlier. Lol

gait

Explorer
another trick for the front is to insert one half bush (right hand in foto) before relocating spring and second half can be inserted through the large hole in the mounting bracket after relocating.

I had an off day and was a bit slow to realise it was easy. :(

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Hi All
Cheers for now
Steve

Yes, they are had it. Looks like they have been hammered into submission. The other side bushes are probably not much better. Moving the steering to move the spring, who would have thought that (new to me).

Dan.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Yes, they are had it. Looks like they have been hammered into submission. The other side bushes are probably not much better. Moving the steering to move the spring, who would have thought that (new to me).

Dan.

Surprised me too, but it was enough to get the pin in there straight. :smiley_drive:

kerry

Expedition Leader
Did you just do the pin or the shackle as well? I had more trouble getting the shackle to line up / slide into position.

Since I did the job at home I had access to my hydraulic spreader, which made moving things around much easier.

Just checked my bushes and this job is now on my to-do list. Can you describe the issues you had installing them on the shackle end and how you used the hydraulic spreader to resolve them? How long did it take you to do the job?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94