From Freightliner ambulance to RV - we hope!

Mattersnots

Adventurer
I'm fed up with the mounted awnings. Tree magnets, they never close tight after the first year or two, and I've done a few of those scrambles when the wind comes up. I'm just going to mount one of those tie down strips along the side and back then use the quick connect clips to put a decent sized tarp where I need it. You know the tie downs I'm talking about. There were several in my ambo, in fact I may just use those.

Coachgeo

Explorer
well.... someone is going to ask.... so I'll be the idiot.... what tie down strips and matching quick connect strips are you speaking off?

patoz

Expedition Leader
Considering how congested that area is on mine, I’ve considered just mounting a 12’ section of Sail Track just under the rain gutter. And then have a tarp made with the corresponding welt edge on one side.

Aluminium Sail Track-800x600.jpg Sailtrack2-Outdoor-Banner.jpg

Advantages:
1. This would allow for a clean rooftop or side when removed, and look better.
2. Provides a water tight mounting system.
3. Simple and inexpensive.
4. Could use standard tent poles and guy lines.
5. Could be completely removed for traveling and tight areas in the woods.

Disadvantages:
1. Takes longer to deploy and pack up, especially in the rain.
2. Most likely will be a two man job, but I have some ideas for that.
3. Would require a step stool or ladder
4. Would require a place to store the components when not in use. This means on top, underneath, or inside, unless the polls were collapsible.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
well.... someone is going to ask.... so I'll be the idiot.... what tie down strips and matching quick connect strips are you speaking off?
Sorry, I was being lazy and couldn't think of the name. It's called L Track. I've got many of the clip things and individual mounts from the netting restraint system. I'm planning on buying a track and mounting it low enough to reach but high enough to be effective. Hope this hijack/thread helps you Ross.
L-track.jpeg

patoz

Expedition Leader
Sorry, I was being lazy and couldn't think of the name. It's called L Track. I've got many of the clip things and individual mounts from the netting restraint system. I'm planning on buying a track and mounting it low enough to reach but high enough to be effective. Hope this hijack/thread helps you Ross.
View attachment 444484

I imagine using these would be more expensive than the sail track I suggested, but would make the over all project cheaper in the long run. You could use an off the shelf tarp instead of having one made like the sail track would require. These would be much easier and faster to connect the tarp to and could be done by one person, however you still end up with a 2"- 3" gap between the tarp and the vehicle for rain to pour into and create a muddy mess on your 'patio' and right at your 'front' door.

I do like the versatility the 'L' Track provides, and the fact you can clip into it at any point to attach or hang something.

java

Expedition Leader
I just picked up an awning yesterday. We have an EZ up as well and they will likely both be coming along all the time. Awning is nice as it gives a protected spot at the door, shade will suck when he sun angle is bad. Up high and too short. They do make shade screen extensions as someone mentioned earlier.

For me it was a trade off for being able to crank it out. I went with a Carefree Freedom model.

patoz

Expedition Leader
For me it was a trade off for being able to crank it out. I went with a Carefree Freedom model.

I've looked at that model also, and it would probably be the one I would get for a roll-out unit. There is a definite advantage to having it cover the door and being able to deploy it quickly, especially if it's raining or snowing when you get to your camp spot.

java

Expedition Leader

I've looked at that model also, and it would probably be the one I would get for a roll-out unit. There is a definite advantage to having it cover the door and being able to deploy it quickly, especially if it's raining or snowing when you get to your camp spot.
Exactly, I would have gotten the 3M (9-10) model, it extends out 98", but the 8' model came across CL for half the price.... It's only a 80" extension. I will end up mounted about 8.5' off the ground.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Make sure you put rollers on the corner of the door. Especially on the ambulances. I used stainless roller spherical bearings used on table conveyor systems for the Yella truck. It was much easier on the fabric.

Now you guys have me over thinking a fixed awning again. I was thinking of mounting a length of 1/4 aluminum angle to the roof in such a way that it protruded above the top of the awning to provide a rub rail and then put a deflector on the nose of the awning to ramp the branches over the top. But that adds a lot of cost to an already relatively expensive exercise.

java

Expedition Leader
Make sure you put rollers on the corner of the door. Especially on the ambulances. I used stainless roller spherical bearings used on table conveyor systems for the Yella truck. It was much easier on the fabric.

Now you guys have me over thinking a fixed awning again. I was thinking of mounting a length of 1/4 aluminum angle to the roof in such a way that it protruded above the top of the awning to provide a rub rail and then put a deflector on the nose of the awning to ramp the branches over the top. But that adds a lot of cost to an already relatively expensive exercise.

Any pics of the roller set up? I cant get mine high enough above the door top meet the factory "spec", but I was planning to mount it as high as I can above the door to minimize rubbing.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
No pics of how I actually mounted them but here is the rollers.

2b0e3642070d282d65d269c4e7280aa3.jpg

97329830d099c87b0f4544007c5bbda4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles