Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Oh, and we need to see it next to something else for scale!

Pig%20and%20sidecar-M.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Oh that is pure coolness now...those wheels & tires & the lift they give is killer
You really had a vision of how this would turn out, I couldnt imagine it but very glad you could

Looking forward to an inperson sighting at the Overland Expo this weekend

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Magic air horn. I know of the magic horn you speak of. At 150psi if your are texting and I blast it, you will punch a hole in what you are holding. Phone, Ipad, 1/4 steel plate ect.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
OK Packed (mostly) and ready to head to expo.

We will be in the feature vehicles area so drop in and check it out. Hopefully parked next to Tony's little mini-me ambovan thing :drool:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Oh, and we need to see it next to something else for scale!

Its all relative. This is how to make it look small and also take away from the fluro color. Just pick your parking spot carefully.

FL and the Mogs.jpg

And from the guys at www.ExploringElements.com another view so I can try and convince the missus thats its not really big. It just looks that way sometimes. This angle makes Tony's Ambovan look like a monster truck.
And did I mention that Tony saved my life on the weekend. Found out Wed that my inverter was not working and didn't get time to put in the spare. He provided inverter power for my espresso machine all weekend. :drool: :coffee: :coffeedrink: :wings:

Rigs in the sunset.jpg

Last edited:

hobietony

Explorer
That mini-me pic cracks me up. Great to see you this weekend, and glad to get your help in functional testing my electrical system!

T

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Congrats Bevan, two pics and a bit of blurb here;
http://www.gizmag.com/over-land-to-overland-expo/32270/

Ah bugger! Used our 1.5 seconds of fame on an unwashed, unfinished, hacked together rig. I found the comment "We mistakenly assumed that the ambulance donor platform was just for visual flair" very interesting on obviously the ugliest vehicle there. Never before have I ever been accused of "visual flair" in any of my vehicle (or myself for that matter).

Hopefully we have sown the seeds for the ambo renovation revolution. :sombrero:

Anyway thanks for the heads up.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
As many have said: It's cheaper than therapy.

Did you read their caption?;
"Part of the money-saving strategy behind this camper is being willing to leave your camper and possessions behind."

Not sure if it's really a money-saving strategy to put $/effort, and then have to leave it behind somewhere when the shiz hitz the fan.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I can probably help translate. The money saving strategy is "recycling" the Ambo versus a new truck build. I think this will be built out 2wd for less than $25K and $35K if I have to put power to the front wheels.

The reference to leaving it behind is based on our experience of having to leave everything but a couple of small bags behind when we had to get out of Indonesia in a hurry.

Our philosophy now is not to take anything into another country we are not prepared to leave behind. Or to put it another way. Don't let your rig be the deciding factor between staying or leaving if the Shiz hits the fanz.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I can probably help translate. The money saving strategy is "recycling" the Ambo versus a new truck build. I think this will be built out 2wd for less than $25K and $35K if I have to put power to the front wheels.

The reference to leaving it behind is based on our experience of having to leave everything but a couple of small bags behind when we had to get out of Indonesia in a hurry.

Our philosophy now is not to take anything into another country we are not prepared to leave behind. Or to put it another way. Don't let your rig be the deciding factor between staying or leaving if the Shiz hits the fanz.

Makes sense.

Yeah, I remember you saying that. Is that Indo story posted here on ExPo anywhere? I'd love to read about it.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Makes sense.

Yeah, I remember you saying that. Is that Indo story posted here on ExPo anywhere? I'd love to read about it.

Nope not posted anywhere. But very willing to share over a few cold beverages preferably near a campfire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles