Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Personally, I would avoid flexible panels if possible. They just don't last very long. Also the cells tend to cup the face sheet in the heat, which allows dirt to accumulate in the center of the cells.

If you need something light and a little flexible there are semi-flexible panels that use glass instead of plastic for the front face. These are sometimes called frameless panels, and the flexibility will vary. These panels are more durable the the plastic faced flexible panels, and can be bonded directly to a roof using a good adhesive.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I should have asked. There were two reasons I didn't ask more questions.

1) the quote was $7000!
2) their bay wasn't big enough to fit it in there anyway. In fact, every shop I've called doesn't have a bay big enough to accept this. I'm going to start calling RV repair places to see if their booth is big enough.

I don't love the white top, but for $7k I can learn to like it. For those thinking about installing a high top, I recommend getting it painted first.

I don't know a thing about auto body paint. This is a 1997 van with 145k on the clock. I don't need a show-winning paint job, but I also don't want it to flake off in 2 years. What do you guys recommend, and what can I expect to pay?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
So, obviously the cheapest is going to be a diy route.

Starting with DIY bedliner (like monstaliner): 450-1200$ if you do it yourself. That is all in with materials and equipment. You would need to get a paint shop to tint to match. Take a look at my or Cole's threads for examples of DIY liner. With a white gelcoat, you may need to do a color basecoat before the liner.

DIY with single stage roll on urethane. (Interlux brightside etc) about 250$. This can also be tinted. Using roll and tip method a 10ft finish is possible.

DIY with a wrap. about 400$. Exact color match isn't possible, but its can be removed if desired.

Paying someone else. Some shops will let you do your own prep work to save some cost.

Color match base+clear: $2500-5000. A lot depends on the necessary prep work, and how much the shop charges per hour.

Single stage urethane like Imron etc. 1500-3000$

You might check with shops that repair/paint semi trucks. They will have a tall booth, and they are familiar with fiberglass.

If your gelcoat is in good shape, you really don't have much prep to do. You should communicate with the shop that you don't need OEM quality, so minor imperfections are fine.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Explorer
yuck, I did not factor in an additional $2-3k. Darn. Looks like it's going to be staying white for a while. Thanks for the info. I love the top, but I don't have the budget to get it painted.

I don't want to cover it in bedliner. I just want it green and not peeling. Since I live on the road, I can't exactly set up a paint booth at my campsite, so DIY is sadly out of the question.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
yuck, I did not factor in an additional $2-3k. Darn. Looks like it's going to be staying white for a while. Thanks for the info. I love the top, but I don't have the budget to get it painted.

I don't want to cover it in bedliner. I just want it green and not peeling. Since I live on the road, I can't exactly set up a paint booth at my campsite, so DIY is sadly out of the question.

Marine topside paints are designed to be applied in the open (shipyards, docks etc). So you could do it anywhere with light wind and low dust. They apply well with a brush/roller and are durable and dry tack free quickly. Obviously you would need a day with temps 55F or higher.

Take a look at this thread. Vanagon Westy's have fiberglass tops which at their age often need some paint.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462517&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

sixstringsteve

Explorer
We've got 75* days here in AZ. But there aren't too many shipyards or docks here. :)

I'd be game to do a brush/roller if possible. That sounds closer to what I'm going for. I just don't want it to stick out so much in a parking lot. I know, it's always going to stick out, but that top just screams "look at me, I've got stuff inside."

And thank you for that link to thesamba.com

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Brightside Polyurethane is a hard high gloss one-part polyurethane topside finish. Excellent application characteristics yield that “sprayed on” look when brush-applied in thin coats and is ideal for use anywhere above the true waterline. Contains fluoro-micro additives for stain/abrasion resistance and is self-leveling. May be brushed or sprayed on fiberglass, wood, aluminium, or steel.

There may be a stock color that will match your van well. Otherwise you will need to find a shop that can tint it for you.

dazdconfsd

Observer
We've got 75* days here in AZ. But there aren't too many shipyards or docks here. :)

I'd be game to do a brush/roller if possible. That sounds closer to what I'm going for. I just don't want it to stick out so much in a parking lot. I know, it's always going to stick out, but that top just screams "look at me, I've got stuff inside."

And thank you for that link to thesamba.com

You may wish to reconsider the color choice. White will be significantly cooler in the summer sun than green.

justbecause

perpetually lost
its a ford, two tone that sucker! tape it off and paint like the inverse expo portal excursion.
093EF3AE-801B-436F-87B8-1E164B15F877_zpscdcvsmwo.jpg

or jump over to boomer thread and check out his paint job.

DzlToy

Explorer
Pro level plasti-dip coatings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7cjqP5Owxs&hd=1

Buy a Peel Coat gun (Plasti-Dip) and spray it yourself on a warm day. It will be a satin type of finish and can be tinted to match your van if that is a factory colour.

I would consider spraying something like Temp-Coat on that top to help keep temps stable. Interior insulation helps even more, of course, but TC will reflect the heat before it goes through your top. You can paint right over the Temp Coat.

Tremclad or equivalent wherever you are. Spend your time doing good prep work, brush it on with good quality brushes on a warm day, wet sand it to your desired level of finish and it will look as good as factory paint.

random video via Google search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5fttg9dom8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online