Four Wheel Camper ‘Project M’

grogie

Like to Camp
FWC's website has more information, including weights (using their build I built one out at about 455 lbs.), but I’d like more details, photos, and reviews of more recently built units. They show a few small pictures of their smooth skin versions, which I’d like to better pictures of. They also show the availability and price of a battery system, but not much on details and where does it sit in the top since the top has no floor? I’m also wondering how well sealed they are from dust getting in from around the bed walls?

I just bought a 6 ft. bed Tacoma. I’d love a Fleet shell, but the dry weight on a decently equipped one is 100 pounds under the trucks payload… :oops:

I do appreciate that the Project M can be removed with their jacks like their traditional campers. That’s a plus for me.

Jigidy

Hi Guys, I've been following this thread and wanted to let you know I put my deposit down for a Project M. Delivery time will be April. I've got an 07 Chevrolet Silverado 8' bed and recently sold an old Palomino. I have a wife and 2 kids and was looking for something that was lighter, built better and more modular/useful than the Palomino. Project M seemed like the best solution. We are excited it's our family Christmas present and I think my two kids are more excited than me. I'll post pictures when I get it and happy to answer any questions as we roll along. Cheers!

IMG_3411.JPG

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Hi Guys, I've been following this thread and wanted to let you know I put my deposit down for a Project M. Delivery time will be April. I've got an 07 Chevrolet Silverado 8' bed and recently sold an old Palomino. I have a wife and 2 kids and was looking for something that was lighter, built better and more modular/useful than the Palomino. Project M seemed like the best solution. We are excited it's our family Christmas present and I think my two kids are more excited than me. I'll post pictures when I get it and happy to answer any questions as we roll along. Cheers!

View attachment 554347

Do you plan on leaving it on full time? I’m interested in one but would need to build out the interior and it would need to be removable as I can’t have it on full time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jigidy

Do you plan on leaving it on full time? I’m interested in one but would need to build out the interior and it would need to be removable as I can’t have it on full time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, I think I'll plan on leaving it on full-time and hoping it fits in my garage haha...looks like I've got around 2" to work with YIKES. We do a lot of skiing in the winter and I like the idea of being able to have it for lunch in the parking lot. I currently have a fiberglass shell on my truck and have a lift system set up in my garage so I can easily remove my shell...not sure if my system will work with Project M yet but it might.

grogie

Like to Camp

Awesome! I'll have plenty of questions for you. Could you share what options you went with? Thanks.

skimore

Don’t like that they’re not really fitted to individual trucks and just use the “shelf” to adjust. Heard that they’re also using spacers on the cab side to adjust for differing lengths. Cool product, but OVRLND does it better IMO.

One nice thing about the "shelf" is that you may be able to move it to a different truck or sell it to someone else in the future.

Wrathchild

One nice thing about the "shelf" is that you may be able to move it to a different truck or sell it to someone else in the future.

Totally agree on ease of swapping trucks benefit. Just cuts out a lot of interior room from what I can tell. My fridge and spare wouldn’t be able to live where I have em installed. I’m sure they’ll sell like hot cakes with lots of happy customers.

skimore

Totally agree on ease of swapping trucks benefit. Just cuts out a lot of interior room from what I can tell. My fridge and spare wouldn’t be able to live where I have em installed. I’m sure they’ll sell like hot cakes with lots of happy customers.
You are correct about the "shelf" getting in the way and affecting what/where you put stuff. Can you cut out the overhang part of the "shelf"?

Wrathchild

You are correct about the "shelf" getting in the way and affecting what/where you put stuff. Can you cut out the overhang part of the "shelf"?

Not sure. Looking at the their IG pics I’d be concerned about weakening it since the Mounting hardware runs through the shelf portion, which appears to be some kind of composite. Not saying composite is weak, but it has some limitations. Knowing how normal camper shell clamps loosen over time, those points are subjected to quite a bit of force.

Jigidy

Awesome! I'll have plenty of questions for you. Could you share what options you went with? Thanks.
Hey, Sorry for the late reply on this...Christmas is my busy time of year. I went with a pretty bare bones model. I only added yakima tracks only, PS window (same as the small DS window that comes standard), and Winter Pak.

MattF350

Observer
It looks pretty cool and you can pick what you want. Having an 8' bed, even the Granby shell is $12k is pretty pricey.

Probably not for me though.

grogie

Like to Camp
Hey, Sorry for the late reply on this...Christmas is my busy time of year. I went with a pretty bare bones model. I only added yakima tracks only, PS window (same as the small DS window that comes standard), and Winter Pak.

Good options! Please keep us up-to-date with it.

beef tits

From what I gather the Base Project M;

-Does not even come with a mattress
-Does not come wired for lights power
-No info provided on how they keep dust out/seal to different tailgates
-Costs $9-9.5k plus tax depending which model

All things considered, this is pretty damn steep for what it is, which is essentially a slightly better designed product than a FlipPac.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke