FOUND Vans For Sale!

Village Idiot
I know 300k is a lot of miles, but I'll get it checked out. I have a friend who has 800k on his 7.3L truck. I'm pretty stoked for getting it so cheap!!!!

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
So I found a few vans. More seasoned van veterans have stated to stay away form higher mileage diesel vans, but what constitutes higher mileage? What are trade offs when considering the vans, creature comforts versus lower mileage...
Do Chateau packages have better sound dampening? I would imagine it is a little better than a base model XL?
All appear to be well taken care of. All carfax, autocheck, NADA, KBB are in the same range. All prices are in the same range. These will become a 4x4 adventure weekender for the family. I need to buy right the first time.
2006 Chateau with 136K Miles, argueably the nicest in the bunch
2004 XL with 52K Miles Looks a little worn, what a van was intended for. Base model all bench seats, no tow package

Thoughts?

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Depends on the ultimate use. If you plan to rip out the interior and do a camper build, then why pay for, or deal with a nice interior. Start with a base model. If you want to spend your money on the conversion, and still have a nice interior for road trips, then get the Chateau for sure. It has nicer interior panels with cupholders and bins, plus many have rear captain's chairs.

As far as mileage goes... If you are looking at a 6.0, regardless of the mileage, plan on spending some money right up front to deal with the usual suspects. Do a EGR cooler delete, replace the oil cooler, and get a tuner. Early model 6.0's also have some issues with the wiring harness getting chaffed and eventually shorting. I think 2006 and newer have better protection for the engine harness. Maintenance records should be a key factor when looking at the 6.0. A well maintained family rig would be a nice find, but fleet maintained vehicles can be just as reliable, however the chassis/body tend to be more worn.

The 7.3 has it's own quirks, but many agree it can be more reliable at higher mileage than a comparable 6.0. Problem is, they are hard to find. The 6.0 is often sold at a discount due to the reputation that engine has, so you may get into a nicer vehicle overall for cheaper. I would just stay away from higher mileage, say over 120k, on a 6.0 without any knowledge of the maintenance.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
It's always a risk. Sure, records would be ideal, but sometimes great deals are just that. Great deals. I paid $17K for mine with only 65k miles on it. Within 300 miles the EGR valve acted up and it threw a code. I spent another $700 on it to get it right. The van had been dealer maintained it's whole life. Chateau diesels are as rare as they come. I would definitely have it looked at by someone that knows diesels, but Brother, that is a great deal!

Chris is pretty close to that dealership. Buy him some baby clothes in exchange for checking ot out for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles