FOUND Vans For Sale!

rontaki

Observer

My 3¢ here. As an owner of an '86 Sycnro (Westy), I'd say that if the body or seam rust is not too bad and you are ready to deal with that, it might be a good starting point.

IMHO the stock 2.1 liter needs to be replaced with something more modern, due to efficiency, parts availability, etc. My choice was the Suby 2.2, there are other good choices as well.

Big brakes are also necessary, which means larger rims and tires. In my case, Audi brakes and rotors were used. I bought a 16" Wheel package from Van Cafe, and have been happy with it. The diameter of the tires is slightly larger than the stock 14" which raises the gear ratio a bit. This is a positive, given the extra power of the Suby 2.2.

Icing on the cake is Euro headlights with relays installed for less voltage drop. LED headlights might be the best choice nowadays.

The power to the front end is coupled via a viscous coupling, which engages when there is a difference in speed between the back and the front wheels.
As they age, a viscous coupling can get "aggressive", meaning it engages far too easily causing problems on high-traction surfaces.
Mine is aggressive, but I installed a driveshaft decoupler which lets me have 2WD or 3WD with quick engagement of power to the front when slippage occurs.
I say 3WD because, the front diff does not lock so one of the wheels can spin in low-traction situations. You can install a locker there too. Those were not offered to the USA market as VW was fearful of litigation from drivers here who engaged the front difflock and lost most of the ability to steer the van. sigh... A Syncro with all 4 wheels getting power can climb some slippery steep stuff! The granny gear helps too.

Syncros are similar to yachts, a hole on land into which you throw money...

kcernest

Observer
Super cool Chevy P30 short bus with fully built camper inside. Couldn't be too hard to make 4x4 since it's an '85. $12.5k. not mine

https://www.buslifeadventure.com/in...-vintage-1985-chevy-short-school-bus-for-sale
Amy_Board_85_Chevy_3.jpg

Deshet

Adventurer
Surprised they converted an inline 6. Although those that have them really do like them. I remember them getting 300,000 miles. In a van the inline 6 is probably the easiest motor to work on. I seem to remember 300hp and 300 ft pounds of tq in the one I had years ago.

brushogger

Explorer
Surprised they converted an inline 6. Although those that have them really do like them. I remember them getting 300,000 miles. In a van the inline 6 is probably the easiest motor to work on. I seem to remember 300hp and 300 ft pounds of tq in the one I had years ago.

These inline 6's plus a turbo = Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!:wings: They are very easy to work on also. With the 4.88 gears you won't set any speed records, but shouldn't pose any issues. When I was a kid, all the school buses were inline 6's.

ViperNL

Observer
No affiliation: https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/50654881

2002 Ford E450 cutaway conversion, $12,500

I have a 2002 Ford e450 cutaway van. Has the v10 gas Motor. 98000 miles runs perfect. The box has shelves and cabinets. Has a fridge that runs off of propane or 110 power. Has a gas stove, double basin sink with hand pump faucet. There are two 5 gallon jugs under the sink. One for fresh water and the other is the gray tank. Also has an on board 1600 watt generator that runs the internal lights and electrical plugs (runs off an internal battery charged by the van while running). It can also be plugged into your house power or an external generator. It also has an insert to span between the two cabinets to put an air mattress on for sleeping. Has a side door with a step. There are two front seat as well as a third seat in the box with it's own seat belt. There is an a/c unit in the box that cools the back while the truck is running. This van is great for camping, hunting, work or a moto van to take to the sand dunes.

eporter

Adventurer
Wow, two very similar box trucks w/ side doors. I like the look of the '02 E450 and that interior build looks useful for a mobile garage.
exp1.jpg

exp2.jpg

Attachments

• exp1.jpg
    exp1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 29
  • exp2.jpg
    exp2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 34

Forum statistics

Threads
Members