FOUND Vans For Sale!

DocWhiskey

Observer
I'm not a super huge fan of short arm 4-links, but for the most part that conversion doesn't look too awful bad to me. The coil bucket setup is a little funky but it at least looks like it might have been done well, if that makes any sense. Sometimes hard to tell from pictures. I'd have to lose the tall lift blocks out back. Don't like. I'd at least want enough spring to get them down to 2" max.
Not sure you'd be able to cut the coils out and reuse that axle with Chris's leaf system. He's the best person to ask.

The van itself looks to be in very good shape, for any age really. I thought I did read in there somewhere that the brakes and what-not had been gone through, at least up front.

If it were me I'd run some numbers on the cost of 2WD version of that van, plus what it would take to do a Ujoint conversion, and see how they compare. I'm willing to bet the one you're looking at comes out cheaper. If I thought the Colorado van might be the way to go then I'd consider if it was worth the potential loss of a round trip ticket to go check it out and drive it. No way I'd buy it sight unseen, pretty pictures or no. Drivability is the key issue here I think.

I did my own ujoint and even then it isn't cheap. I'm not sure what Chris charges to do a complete conversion but I seriously doubt it will be comparable to what you're looking at, but...the guy does world class work and it shows.

Let us know how you go.

I have some rough numbers based on looking at the vans on the market (online at various sources including those listed in this thread and around me) as well as a quote from Chris over at U-Joint for a turn-key conversion; and barring anything majorly surprising it's looking like this would be a really cost-effective way to get something that's about 90% of what I would like it to be and then be able to tweak it with their gear. One major bonus as far as I can see is it having the major hard parts already located and installed.

I agree with you about the lift blocks in the rear, I would prefer to have "more spring" as you say. I actually have an email in to U-Joint right now asking his opinion on the van and whether it would be a good idea to snatch it up and then throw some of his components underneath or if that's even possible. Based on my limited knowledge it would really just be changing around a few suspension components (trading radius arms/hardware for leafs/hardware mostly, right?) so it doesn't seem outside the realm of feasibility. I've exchanged a few emails with Chris and even just from that and his website/Instagram/Forum presence, I can see that his reputation is well-earned indeed, without ever having laid my hands on any of his parts or vans. I'd love it if we can work something out.

It's an extremely tempting van, I'm doing my best not to let excitement get the best of me since I haven't yet actually owned a van and therefore don't know all the pitfalls to be aware of.

I have some rough numbers based on looking at the vans on the market (online at various sources including those listed in this thread and around me) as well as a quote from Chris over at U-Joint for a turn-key conversion; and barring anything majorly surprising it's looking like this would be a really cost-effective way to get something that's about 90% of what I would like it to be and then be able to tweak it with their gear. One major bonus as far as I can see is it having the major hard parts already located and installed.

I agree with you about the lift blocks in the rear, I would prefer to have "more spring" as you say. I actually have an email in to U-Joint right now asking his opinion on the van and whether it would be a good idea to snatch it up and then throw some of his components underneath or if that's even possible. Based on my limited knowledge it would really just be changing around a few suspension components (trading radius arms/hardware for leafs/hardware mostly, right?) so it doesn't seem outside the realm of feasibility. I've exchanged a few emails with Chris and even just from that and his website/Instagram/Forum presence, I can see that his reputation is well-earned indeed, without ever having laid my hands on any of his parts or vans. I'd love it if we can work something out.

It's an extremely tempting van, I'm doing my best not to let excitement get the best of me since I haven't yet actually owned a van and therefore don't know all the pitfalls to be aware of.

theres quite a bit of cut and scrape to be done to a coil spring axle to fit leaf springs on it, id say yes, you're correct in that the "hard stuff is done" the trans, t case, gas tank and shifter etc are done.

its going to need rear springs to get rid of those heinous blocks
the complete front end and maybe springs. id bet its just about a wash buying a new front axle that works with the joint kit vs paying someones labor to scrape all the coil stuff off and weld on the spring pads for the leafs etc.

the van looks clean, and is reasonably low miles, but i sure as hell wouldn't rush out and buy without looking at it and driving it first to make sure you could live with it a while in case you can't get the ujoint system installed for a while.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
I think it would be a good van for that price - conversion looks good as does the company that did it.

If you think it would fit your needs and budget - make an offer!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader

Doc,

I am almost certain that the front axle under that will not work with a UJOR conversion. The De-Quig conversions Chris does (I realize this is not a Quig) are dependent on the front axle that Quigley used in the first place. For most, the front axle is the biggest cost associated with a 4WD swap. If that van fits your needs, then there are certainly options out there to get it dialed in, because like others have said, short arm link setups can be finicky. Chris, Ramsey, and MG are the authorities on 4wd van conversions around here and none of them would steer you wrong.

If that van fell in my lap, based on what I can tell via the ad, I would wait for MG's radius arm mounts. All the components are already there for a relatively easy upgrade. If you want a UJOR setup, look for an unconverted 2wd van. You will have little to no headaches going that route vs. trying to retrofit his conversion into another companies conversion.

Brad

Jsweezy

Explorer
I am with Bknudtsen - If you really want to swap out whats there for something else just wait for MG's kit.

Personally I would buy that as is for the price, order the rear 4" springs from Ujoint and replace all 4 shocks with the some Foxs. I have never driven this van or a van from the denver fleet but it doesn't look like a backyard build so I am betting it probably drives just fine and with some shock/spring upgrades would be very comfortable.

I know the Ujoint kit is appealing but I would never buy a van like this to put a Ujoint kit on. You could get this van in 2wd for much cheaper and then use the money left over towards a Ujoint kit if thats what your set on.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
From what I've seen Denver Fleet does a very competent and cost effective 4x4 conversion. I've looked at theirs and may buy one in the future, or may buy a 2wd and build my own using UJOR kit. I think both are good options - the only thing that wouldn't make sense to me would be to buy a Denver Fleet 4x4 conversion and then try to turn it into a UJOR conversion.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I responded via email this AM but will post here too.

I agree that this rig wouldn't be a good candidate to swap to our stuff. If it were a rare 7.3 or a super low mileage rig then possibly.... This van would need a new front axle, we can't do anything with what it already has, would cost you more in the long run. Drive one before deciding on anything. You need some damn good suspension in the Bronx!

pugslyyy

I'm late to the conversation...
Which van are you guys talking about?

I think this became a discussion of the relative merits of the Denver Fleet E-350 4x4 conversions. I don't think that anyone would debate that UJOR offers one of the finer conversions out there, but Denver Fleet offers an attractive price point, so what are the merits / bang for the buck.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
No Affiliation

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5679194436.html

Lifted super van! Ford TRITON v10 4x4 - $8500 (Reno) hide this posting
image 1 of 16
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
2002 Ford titon

condition: excellent
cylinders: 10 cylinders
drive: 4wd
fuel: gas
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic

safety tips
prohibited items
product recalls
avoiding scams
This is a Ford triton v10 for sale. Maintenance has been kept flawless on this van.

Currently it is set up with a ton of storage like over head cubbies and rails to fit all your stuff!
-Always been perfectly maintained and runs better than any other car on Craigslist

-Also has kennels which can be used as storage or perfect for dog owners, ontop of the kennel is a perfect bed!

-All locks And Windows are automatic and has all luxury options. Comes with a great stereo and speaker!

-This is the perfect vehicle for towing!

*The stickers have been removed updated pictures will be up soon*

DocWhiskey

Observer
Doc,

I am almost certain that the front axle under that will not work with a UJOR conversion. The De-Quig conversions Chris does (I realize this is not a Quig) are dependent on the front axle that Quigley used in the first place. For most, the front axle is the biggest cost associated with a 4WD swap. If that van fits your needs, then there are certainly options out there to get it dialed in, because like others have said, short arm link setups can be finicky. Chris, Ramsey, and MG are the authorities on 4wd van conversions around here and none of them would steer you wrong.

If that van fell in my lap, based on what I can tell via the ad, I would wait for MG's radius arm mounts. All the components are already there for a relatively easy upgrade. If you want a UJOR setup, look for an unconverted 2wd van. You will have little to no headaches going that route vs. trying to retrofit his conversion into another companies conversion.

Brad

Brad, I really appreciate the advice, VANdiana Jones and your thread were a major inspiration to me and part of what spurred me into the search for a van. It's a hard choice for me, I really only know about 4WD vans from what I've read and a lot of that has been on here. It's a really hard choice for me; I know UJoint is top-of-the-line but at the same time this fits well into my budget and needs.

I am with Bknudtsen - If you really want to swap out whats there for something else just wait for MG's kit.

Personally I would buy that as is for the price, order the rear 4" springs from Ujoint and replace all 4 shocks with the some Foxs. I have never driven this van or a van from the denver fleet but it doesn't look like a backyard build so I am betting it probably drives just fine and with some shock/spring upgrades would be very comfortable.

I know the Ujoint kit is appealing but I would never buy a van like this to put a Ujoint kit on. You could get this van in 2wd for much cheaper and then use the money left over towards a Ujoint kit if thats what your set on.

That has entered my mind; it seems like a good route to get what I need. I'm a little torn right now.

I responded via email this AM but will post here too.

I agree that this rig wouldn't be a good candidate to swap to our stuff. If it were a rare 7.3 or a super low mileage rig then possibly.... This van would need a new front axle, we can't do anything with what it already has, would cost you more in the long run. Drive one before deciding on anything. You need some damn good suspension in the Bronx!

Chris I can't say enough how much I appreciate your time and advice on this! I definitely need to get my hands on one to drive a bit; I haven't been able to as of yet. Yeah no joke, I moved here from California and frankly the condition of the roads in the Bronx (and really any boro) are appalling.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yea I just drove through there a few weeks ago, nasty nasty roads!

When buying any van price shouldn't be the deciding factor. Quality should. Cheap conversions always cost more in the long run.

DocWhiskey

Observer
Yea I just drove through there a few weeks ago, nasty nasty roads!

When buying any van price shouldn't be the deciding factor. Quality should. Cheap conversions always cost more in the long run.

Yeah that's part of what's scaring me away from any high mileage units (is 100k and over considered high mileage for these?) you know they've had a hard life up here on these potholes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

Chris I can't say enough how much I appreciate your time and advice on this! I definitely need to get my hands on one to drive a bit; I haven't been able to as of yet. Yeah no joke, I moved here from California and frankly the condition of the roads in the Bronx (and really any boro) are appalling.

The only place I ever broke a leaf spring was NYC.

Yeah that's part of what's scaring me away from any high mileage units (is 100k and over considered high mileage for these?) you know they've had a hard life up here on these potholes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd look for a creampuff out of Southern California. There are some at the local dealers with 20k on em and 2014 etc.

I picked up my 2006 from a private party with 78k on it. For $7200. Grant it, it's a e150, 4.6l so nothing special, but it'll suit my needs just fine. I don't foresee a 4wd conversion in my future. It's down at weldtec getting a 2wd lift and goodies, and I'll probably regear and put in a limited slip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94