Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Storz

Explorer
Very cool.

My wife used to just close her eyes and hold on when I'd throw the flick on some of the dirt roads around our old place :)

abeaudin1971

Adventurer
hey

I used the primative skid plates on my '98, as well, I went with P205/75/R15 Dunlops on mine when I had it - no lift and no rub but I was on pavement/gravel secondaries with nothing hairy.

The 15" steelies just cleared the brakes in front but ran fine.

Subscribing to this one - it'll be great

:smiley_drive:

Storz

Explorer
hey

I used the primative skid plates on my '98, as well,

Same stuff I had on my Impreza, incredibly well built. I had 15" steelies with Michelin gravel tires as well :)

It was pretty unstoppable with these on there

cimg4507.jpg

Paladin

Banned
Updates and more pictures soon. First I need to tighten the e-brake cable a bit

Assuming you're talking about handbrake turns, you're not supposed to with a Subaru. At least on the WRX it was a no-no, supposed to harm the center diff. Not sure yours even has a center diff. Since it's an auto, it might have the clutch pack instead of a diff. And since it's gutless, it won't oversteer easy. Subaru also tuned the suspension for massive understeer. Look for a set of front and rear swaybars that may help.

bigfoot

Watching this thread... :coffeedrink:

With gas prices creeping back up and forecast by some to be around $5 / gallon in the not-to-distant future, a grocery getter / weekend warrior is a great idea for a build.

Storz

Explorer
Assuming you're talking about handbrake turns, you're not supposed to with a Subaru. At least on the WRX it was a no-no, supposed to harm the center diff. Not sure yours even has a center diff. Since it's an auto, it might have the clutch pack instead of a diff. And since it's gutless, it won't oversteer easy. Subaru also tuned the suspension for massive understeer. Look for a set of front and rear swaybars that may help.

Yeah, ebrake sliding an awd car will def grenade the center diff in short order. I added a larger 17mm rear sway bar to mine, had a good alignment done at a race shop and it was a completely different animal afterwards. You can get some good lift throttle oversteer going in a Subie though :)

Jrally

Adventurer
I helped out Primative at a race years ago, VERY nice bunch from up north. Ground clearance will get you more protection than the skid plates, but having both is obviously ideal. I will keep an eye on this project as well. It's like a big brother to my Celica. Those Michelin rally/gravel tires mentioned are great in the dirt, but rocks and the highway will quickly chew them up, they aren't meant to last.
-Jon

dzzz

Scott has the best tax writeoffs of anyone I know.
I'm in the market for an Forester or Outback, so I will follow this closely. Good to see the required subaru dog is already in place.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'll be interested to watch this. I like Subarus and the 03-07 body style is my favorite Forester design. I love the Hexagon tailgate and the aggressive front styling.

Would have been nicer if you'd gotten the 5 speed though. Better economy and better performance.

Better yet, swap out the US spec for an Aussie spec 5 speed with a 2 speed T-case in it. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles