Ford Raptor for Overlanding

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It seems awfully trucky to me, it does all the same truck stuff like hauling junk to the scrapyard, carrying about 400 pounds of dirt to my house, and transporting myself in relative luxury. I'm not saying its objectively better than other trucks in a lot of ways but saying it not a real truck is crappy gatekeeping my guy.

Thanks for the crappy advice. 1000# cargo capacity on the 2017. What's that? Two people a tent, and a cooler. Sounds trucky to me. That's less than my grandma's Subaru.

Gatekeeping my ********. Go over your cargo capacity at your own risk, not ours.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSG

Have you looked into these? https://www.roushperformance.com/vehicles/2018-roush-super-duty-f-250.html

I also agree the payload on the Raptors is a deal-breaker and why I personally skipped the Raptor-train and went to F150 FX4 w/5.0 V8 and modified it how I wanted it.

Another option is to add rear air-bags to help if carrying a load though. Have seen a few people doing that.

Yeah I hear ya. When I test drove the Raptor I was in love haha, could not keep my eyes off of it and really enjoyed driving it. The F250/F350 are also beautiful trucks and very capable too but very long in size and they were not as fun to drive but I do need this vehicle to serve a purpose of carrying a good payload.

Oh oh oh I did not know about the Roush, that truck looks ************! Going to check prices on those.

I have chatted with the owner of this one:

He gave some good tips on making it handle more payload which includes suspension and other mods/improvements to the leafs, bump stops, airbags. After having two l322 Range Rovers I am not too sure how I feel about airbags :)

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Thanks for the ************ advice. 1000# cargo capacity on the 2017. What's that? Two people a tent, and a cooler. Sounds trucky to me. That's less than my grandma's Subaru.

Gatekeeping my ********. Go over your cargo capacity at your own risk, not ours.

2 people, a tent and a cooler sounds about right.... turns out I rather have a Raptor than a Subaru... my preference dude.

bBrM4WH.png

The first part of my first sentence:
Yes, be conscious about your weight...

Its literally a concern on almost any build. My other car is a Jeep TJ, which has a payload of around 800, so getting 3 friends and all the gear down to the campsite probably won't work. The Tacoma TRD Pros payload is less than a Raptor, as is the Jeep JK. I don't see your faux concern with their builds with all their trendy insta overland gear.

Last edited:

HayStax

I bought a 2018 Raptor. Found it in Ohio from a dealer that was very reasonable. 801A package, all the options with few frills. Couldn’t be happier. I added a ARE topper for winter ski travel and storage, it’s been a good addition. Plan to look hard at the 50TEN setup later this year, it’s very close to what I had planned to build

Raptor rides great, shows 18MPG and hasn’t been babied. Looking forward to taking dirt roads through Idaho next week. Took it elk hunting the first week I owned it. Hit Pismo Beach this March, and it was right there with a built Cummins Ram on 40s and Kings. A PW owner was with me and he was impressed.

I own every generation of Ford diesel going back to ‘84, and a couple ‘78s. Also a ‘08 5.4l F250. Raptor beats them all for offroad. Pulls small trailers with ease, could use upgraded rear springs if you want to tow or haul a lot. It’s wider than ‘15 F350, handles better in town due to shorter wheelbase. It obviously wasn’t meant to pull real trailers or haul pallets. But by the time you modify a truck for trail use it won’t pull a gooseneck either.

My FIL has a ‘18 5.0 F150 and 4Wheel pop up. He gives up around 4MPG to the Raptor but you don’t even notice the camper is on. His setup is great, no complaints but I’m happy with lighter and faster

I looked at all options before buying, I do t think you can build a F150 much cheaper than buying a Raptor, and resale will be better if that’s a concern. Used lifted trucks are money pits. Deaver rear springs or even bump stops are way easier and cheaper than trying to update a stock front end. Built Tacoma TRDs aren’t much cheaper either. Diesel emissions crap sucks, the new stuff is better but still a headache. Raptor was cheaper than new F350 PSD.

Anyway, I enjoy the hell out of mine and don’t lose any sleep worrying about what strangers on the internet think. I like the V6 even if computer jockeys think it needs a V8. If the value on my 2nd Gen drops when the 3rd Gens show up I might buy another one for my kid. I’m betting if you drive one you will have a hard time not buying it

SSG

I bought a 2018 Raptor. Found it in Ohio from a dealer that was very reasonable. 801A package, all the options with few frills. Couldn’t be happier. I added a ARE topper for winter ski travel and storage, it’s been a good addition. Plan to look hard at the 50TEN setup later this year, it’s very close to what I had planned to build

Raptor rides great, shows 18MPG and hasn’t been babied. Looking forward to taking dirt roads through Idaho next week. Took it elk hunting the first week I owned it. Hit Pismo Beach this March, and it was right there with a built Cummins Ram on 40s and Kings. A PW owner was with me and he was impressed.

I own every generation of Ford diesel going back to ‘84, and a couple ‘78s. Also a ‘08 5.4l F250. Raptor beats them all for offroad. Pulls small trailers with ease, could use upgraded rear springs if you want to tow or haul a lot. It’s wider than ‘15 F350, handles better in town due to shorter wheelbase. It obviously wasn’t meant to pull real trailers or haul pallets. But by the time you modify a truck for trail use it won’t pull a gooseneck either.

My FIL has a ‘18 5.0 F150 and 4Wheel pop up. He gives up around 4MPG to the Raptor but you don’t even notice the camper is on. His setup is great, no complaints but I’m happy with lighter and faster

I looked at all options before buying, I do t think you can build a F150 much cheaper than buying a Raptor, and resale will be better if that’s a concern. Used lifted trucks are money pits. Deaver rear springs or even bump stops are way easier and cheaper than trying to update a stock front end. Built Tacoma TRDs aren’t much cheaper either. Diesel emissions crap sucks, the new stuff is better but still a headache. Raptor was cheaper than new F350 PSD.

Anyway, I enjoy the hell out of mine and don’t lose any sleep worrying about what strangers on the internet think. I like the V6 even if computer jockeys think it needs a V8. If the value on my 2nd Gen drops when the 3rd Gens show up I might buy another one for my kid. I’m betting if you drive one you will have a hard time not buying it

Thanks for the great details. I did test drive a new Raptor and the only reason I have not gone back and bought it is because I am in escrow for a house lol, as soon as I close I will be pulling the trigger on a new truck. Also test drove a 2019 F250/F350 and they were no were near as fun to drive or look at haha. I do not plan on towing any big trailers or anything heavy. Would probably make upgrades with Deaver just to up the payload but I do want to hold off to check out the 2020 RAM Rebel ecodiesel but these are the two top choices for me at the moment.

Dalko43

Explorer
The torque of modern gassers, combined with the new 8-10 spd transmissions outperform the older (legend) diesels/trannies that we think of as our basis of thought...

As well with the PW.. the 6.4 has proved to be a heck of an engine and in 2019 it got the 8spd tranny which is a game changer for power delivery and mpg...

"Game changer"? It's combined mpg is about 11-12 for the average owner...it's a good gasoline truck engine, but certainly nothing revolutionary.

If you ever felt you needed or wanted gobs of extra power... you can always add a bolt on supercharger.. yowza...

I am also looking forward to see how the 7.3 turns out, I expect it will be a great new clean sheet design that will Have the Ford gasser as the industry leader

I don't know why you would tell someone to stay away from diesels because of the added complexity, but then advise them that they can add on a supercharger to an OEM engine that wasn't designed for one....seems like a false equivalency to me as well as being an inherent contradiction.

The 7.3l I'm sure will be a well-built engine...Ford has been building gasoline truck engines for long enough that they'd really have to go out of their way to screw it up. I wouldn't expect any major changes in terms of power delivery or fuel economy. The big OEM's have had sufficient time to "improve" their 3/4 ton gasoline engines...they're mildly better than they were 5-10 years ago, but again nothing "game-changing."

ttengineer

Adventurer
The 6.4 hemi is pretty darn perfect as far as power and reliability.

But I’m a straight 6 CTD guy. It’s hard to beat the perfection of a CTD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
1. 8spd keeps power available .. it is a superior tranny and it shows.. I have driven the old tranny compared to new... far far better for real world useable performance.. as for mpg.. your numbers sound a little low...but no doubt it helped

I was addressing the engine itself, not the transmission. The mpg #'s are averages taken from real world results, not cherry-picked from someone drafting behind a semi at 55 mph.

2.unless you need a diesel for very heavy loads, they are worse in virtually every category, extreme cold weather gel, cold start, poor at around town and cycling cleaning the dpf, no good for Mexico, extra weight for Offroad, no longer cheaper fuel, added expenses in purchase and maintenance... marginally better mpg that the added costs will never pay for

Well not every category: better range (which matters to some), better low-end torque for hauling, towing and offroading, easier storage and easier to add auxiliary tanks. Some people are more than willing to pay a little bit extra for those benefits.

3. Superchargers.. simple, easy, reliable.. bolt on 150hp.. no brainer , I have them.. amazingly simple to do on modern vehicles.. all the benefits of extra power with very little downside

Simple according to who? You? You're railing against modern diesels for being too unreliable but have no problem with adding a non-OEM supercharger to an engine? It's like the people who rail against the cost of diesel ownership on the one hand, but on the other hand have no problem buying a brand new truck every 4-5 years and taking a massive depreciation hit.

SSG

For me and just a personal opinion, one key reason why I like diesels is the better range and many aux tank options but the Raptor does have a fairly big tank at 34 gallons. I like to have 600+ miles range, just personal opinion.

D

Deleted member 9101

Test drove the RAM Rebel and it is a nice truck but did not give me the feeling that driving the Raptor gave me. Talked to Deaver and they have a heavy duty OEM design suspension mod to increase payload on the Raptor :)

Lol... No naturally aspirated V8 will match the seat of the pants experience that the 3.5 HO offers.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
For me and just a personal opinion, one key reason why I like diesels is the better range and many aux tank options but the Raptor does have a fairly big tank at 34 gallons. I like to have 600+ miles range, just personal opinion.

Yeah but depending on how far out into the boonies you go that may not be an issue. I know everyone always plans for the "big trip" but sometimes having a 500ish mile range is okay too. On highway heavy trips I can average about 15.5 and that gives me about 500 miles before I start worrying about filling up. I think the tank is also 36, but I'm also only really knowledgeable in the GEN1 raptors. I have some rotopax on order to put on my rack and those should help push my range to about 550 [highway] miles.

Test drove the RAM Rebel and it is a nice truck but did not give me the feeling that driving the Raptor gave me. Talked to Deaver and they have a heavy duty OEM design suspension mod to increase payload on the Raptor :)

Like I said, Deaver is the way to go. I am not going with them because I'm getting an Icon kit next year, but some Deavers will make the ride even better and allow you to feel more confident flirting with max payload. The other mod that people seem to do is replace the upper control arms on the front suspension. Theres a bunch of little things that can be done to make it a more durable truck, and its always fun to mod your truck!

I love that engine and honestly, if they had offered it in the GEN1 I would have seriously considered it. I am happy with my V8 though, despite envying the 3 to 5 mpg increase you see. Plus you have more options for easy power increases. Sure you can throw a supercharger on a GEN1 but you spend about 2k on an intercooler, exhaust and tune and you can see some serious numbers in those 3.5EBs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier