Ford E450 4x4 build revival

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
:Wow1: Nice!
It's such a nice job I hate to say anything, the entry to the cab, while you can, I'd rethink the framing. Studs at each side of the opening going up to a header that spans across to the next studs on each side, then jack studs directly above the side studs to the top plate, then do the angle and fill in bracing diagonally. I'd double the door jam as well. Check out hurricane strapping for studded walls, I assume the body isn't attached to the studs, I'd use adhesive, might prevent popping sounds and will tie the body and framing. What I'd do in there.
Your metal working skills are fantastic, if I could do that I'd use aluminum tubing (box) for framing inside, certainly not 2x4 lumber. Might investigate VHB tape, I just had a thread on using the stuff on a body, turns out it's adhesives are used on the body of mega RVs, not welds, rivets or screws! There is a type to bond wood and aluminum.
It's going to be a beauty! :coffeedrink:

xracer144

Adventurer
The wood in the picture is strapping to build out the walls for the SPF insulation. It's built out so that I can get 2" of closed cell sprayed in. It should be about an r12-14 with zero air and moisture transfer. The body is comprised of interlocking panels that form the frame, although the structure technically is frameless. I had planned to make all the interior framing out of 1.5 inch thick wall aluminum square tube. A buddy of mine has a scrap metal business. I trade him pound for pound old aluminum eaves trough ( gutters) for stuff that is what they deem salvage. I have scored some really nice material from him at $.30/lb Eventually I will frame everything out of aluminum tube, but for starters I will build out of 1x2 wood until I'm sure we have the correct layout dialed in.

xracer144

Adventurer
IMG_2745[1].jpg
The foamers got going on the insulation today, but I had to leave before they had it finished. In an attic the rough foam can be left as is. For my application it will be smoothed with a scarfing tool so the interior paneling fits nicely. Scarfing is the messiest job ever! Those little chunks of foam go everywhere!

java

Expedition Leader
I hate scarfing foam. Using one of the converted chainsaw things?
I have some nightmares of a project I did that involved one of those. The entire side of an apartment building....

xracer144

Adventurer
what they use is a rotating cheese grater type of thing. It flings stuff everywhere. I'm glad that isn't my job. The static electricity created makes the little pellets stick to you and everything else around you.

java

Expedition Leader
what they use is a rotating cheese grater type of thing. It flings stuff everywhere. I'm glad that isn't my job. The static electricity created makes the little pellets stick to you and everything else around you.

Yeah exactly. Terrible thing. Like this?
DSCF0003.JPG

xracer144

Adventurer
IMG_2833[1].jpg The foamers finished the foam insulation and did a decent job of scarfing. I have a few areas to touch up but no big deal. Once the door was closed, the noise from the shop was pretty well sealed out. I love the spray foam! It should be quiet to ride in and toasty on the cold nights. I should be ready for paint next week.

Last edited:

xracer144

Adventurer
IMG_2929[1].jpgTook our rig out tonight on it's maiden voyage to Target to retrieve my daughter. It drives just like my work van. The headlights suck even with the euro lenses and Piaa bulbs though. I think I'll upgrade to the JW Speaker LEDs that the highway trucks run as well as the LED light bars I'll be installing soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles