Ford E-Series Rear Shackle Flip

Jsweezy

Explorer
Yep that is correct. I guess I should have said flatter leaves. Yes they are the same distance but instead of a lift pack that has a bunch of different sized leaves from long to short making up that height, this allows 4 leaves that are relatively close in length.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...I guess I should have said flatter leaves...

Flatter than what? The add-a-leaf increased the arch of the leaf spring pack.

The difference in length from one leaf to the next is what makes leaf springs progressive. Equal or nearly so leaf lengths cause large steps between spring rates. You're probably heavy enough and consistently so that a higher spring rate is largely constant. More thin leaves rides better than fewer thicker leaves, even with the same overall pack rates.

Jsweezy

Explorer
The add a leaf may have increased the arch but I doubt it. All I needed it for was the extra height (thickness of leaf) and for the extra capacity.

What exactly are you trying to debate me on? My explanation of what I did? If you can see what I did better than I can feel free to explain it to the viewers of this thread so they can decide if this is the route they would like to take if they need to lift the rear of their van. I just went this route because I did ujoints lift pack before on a different van and didnt like how stiff it was and saw this flip as a way to soften the ride without needing a lift pack.

My van is literally empty with a top on it so as far as weight is concerned there isnt much to it aside from the shell and whatever wood is keeping the top rigid and covering the interior.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I wasn't debating you. You said something unclear (longer, but not) so I asked for clarification. I appreciate that you replied. That reply was unclear (flatter, but not) so again, I asked for clarification.

-Cheers

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Great option for folks who have good OEM leaf springs and/or do not want to use a lift pack. Other nice thing is you get the advertised lift rather than the varying lift that sometimes comes with arched packs. If you want to run longer springs, that option is there as well with the multiple mounting locations. Flips have been used forever on trucks. I’m surprised it took this long to be applied to vans.

Options are good.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Oh ok. Maybe I was just reading your posts in the wrong tone, sorry about that.

I wish I was better at explaining stuff but I'm not, no degree or trade school for me so I just do what I see and feel appears like it will work and go from there. Sometimes its good, other times its not ha ha.

Ive got close to 300 miles on this van now and have found the ride in the rear to feel the same in plush/firmness as the front which is surprising. Its nice hitting massive bumps and not having the entire rear of the van jump in the air, especially since it's very light back there. I can only imagine the ride getting better as more weight is loaded.

Brad - Ya, it was crazy that I even put the two things together, but I was looking at Ford OBS trucks and it hit me that something like this might actually work. Lucked out.

Raul

Adventurer
Hi Josh,

The OEM wheels look great ? on your rig.

RK

They do look good. Are they 20"? if so, aren't they too rough off-road?

The stance of your van with OEM wheels looks wider than mine. Are you running spacers up front? size?

Jsweezy

Explorer
Raul -

Thanks! Nope, 18s. And I doubt 20s would be too rough offroad with this kit but I guess that's all relative.

No spacers. 2016 f250 front axle, 2014 F250 rear axle.

Raul

Adventurer
Thanks JS, you are a great asset to the community, no matter how you explain it. Great Info. At some point I think I am doing the reverse shackle.

On the wheel thing, I guess it is a matter of optics and adding the flares make the wheel looks more "lost" inside the fender. I hate being another of those guys asking about big wheels but hey, these van are already ridiculously "in-your-face" I may as well complete the whole Zombie Hunter look and convince the lady-boss to finance a new set of wheels because "WE" "Need them"

Jsweezy

Explorer
Thanks guys! Im trying.

Ya I like stock wheels on these vans. Nice and tucked. Look amazing and stock for an even better price on craigslist (got these 4 takeoffs for $800 including tires) and they are easy to replace if one gets messed up.

CaptainBuilt

Thanks for this thread. I read it when you originally posted it and I've kept it in the back of mind. I'm glad I did.

I recently installed the UJOR 4" kit and I've been having sagging butt issues. UJOR has helped me with the issue. They went above and beyond with helping me. Not even kidding.

Since I have that heavy wheelchair lift, it still seems like the rear is sitting lower than the front. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me. I need to measure everything. But seeing this option, I may pull the lift block and do the shackle flip, giving me a little bit more than I need, which will even everything out since my van is so heavy in the rear.

I have a add a leaf, like new springs and a 3" block. I bet if I got the 4.5' flip kit, it would level it all out.

Thanks again!

Jsweezy

Explorer
Hey no worries. I think this is just a different way of doing things really. If you haven't already invested in some custom springs then going this route may work well but dont think its a cheaper way to do it because it costs about the same as a custom pack and requires more work than simply swapping out leafs but I think its a better ride which is always subjective.

let me know if you have any questions !

silvrzuki77

explorer
Question on the 2014 rear axle? Maybe I missed others installing it. Any issues or problems installing one? I wouldn’t mind ditching the Semi float C clip 60 mine came with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainBuilt

Question on the 2014 rear axle? Maybe I missed others installing it. Any issues or problems installing one? I wouldn’t mind ditching the Semi float C clip 60 mine came with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure about the axle itself. But the springs are the same. I have newer springs out of a newer van. I know UJOR sells a Sterling 10.5 conversion kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles