Flip-pac camper build

FlatBlak

Observer
I disagree with 2wd not good for sand but the key is knowing how to drive on it. WFO. I took my 2wd Astro van which had the 5" overland vans lift and 31's to Corolla one time....towing my buddies CJ-5. I hit the sand WFO and dragged that jeep down the beach for miles. Eventually his front tires got turned by the sand and I was still dragging it laughing all the way.

You have to know when to keep going and when/where to stop. It takes a lot of power, the Vortec V-6 had enough for the van.

I also witnessed a Toyota corolla, completely stock and completely ragged out running around the beach, all through the soft stuff. It was filled with a bunch of teenagers, 6 IIRC and they stopped to talk to us after a Bronco on 38's dug itself stuck. They got out, told him to air down, got back in and proceeded to drive circles around in the soft stuff until disappearing over the dune. lol Skill can overcome a lot on sand, but some vehicles just plain suck in it.

robert

Expedition Leader
My guess is that prototype needed the rear overhang in order to be long enough for the bed. Notice the setback in the front behind the cab and that's on a six foot bed.

I've put any plans for a FWC on the back burner for now but I've kinda been thinking about using my Leer tonneau cover as part of a custom low-buck (relatively speaking of course) build.

day42

Observer
Incredible trip and photos! Reminds me of a trip a friend and I were supposed to take about 15 years ago...a surfing trip....that never happened. Your pics look like all the ones we remember seeing in the surf mags and tourist materials we sent for back then. You helped me remember why I've been wanting to go there again....thank you very much. Nice truck too.

suntinez

Explorer
And now for something FUN!!!

Take a look at these pictures just posted to expo. It’s a proto type Flip Pac from 1977. And guess what......It’s built like a slide in camper, full-enclosed rear door and camper jacks for removal! Sound like anything you may have seen on Expo? YES, my camper build! I have said it in many threads now that if Flip Pac would build something like what I am attempting they could sell a ton of them. And it turns out the build at least one way back in 77.

The pictures suck but it looks like the proto type was fiberglass with aluminum edging on the corners. At first I thought it was an aluminum cap but I things its fiberglass. No front chin for the torsion bar from the outs side. But I think it does use a torsion bar because in the open picture it’s not flat, just like a modern Flip would do if it were not pinned open all the way. It kind of looks like an 70’s four wheel camper.

Not much to see here new but no torsion chin and old school 70's windows.
First%20Flip%20Pac%201.jpg

First%20Flip%20Pac%204.jpg

First Flip Pac proto type build 1977
First%20Flip%20Pac%203.jpg

And my build 33 years later
Flip%20Pac%20door89.JPG

Louie

So cool! Where'd you find that? You can definitely see the old school six-pac influence here. What's old is new again. Based on the number of flippacs at OvExpo, I'd say you're right - a full package like your build would definitely be well received.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I wanna say that my wife hates you...

after seeing your thread..we went to the OBX...and LOVED it...

lastnight I traded my 09 wrangler unlimited in for a 2010 toy tundra..and I plan on building something VERY similar to your flip-pac...

my wife wont see me for months...and she's mad at you..:sombrero: (not really..but funny)

thecarman

Incredible! These photos make me want to packup and head across the county and check that place out. Is it "busy" during the late spring or early fall?

Thanks
-Chris

I have stayed in Corova (farthest north on OBX) in February, and it was DESERTED. But too cold to be fun outside of a house, or outside of a vehicle.

We just went last week in March, and there were a few people out. Lots more fun than Feb, but still a little too cold for my taste - we had to stay bundled up for my daughter to play on the beach, esp if there was wind. Never got into short sleeves. And the water was too cold for fishing.

Next year we're going the last week in April. I asked some locals when it gets busy, and they said things pick up right at Easter, but then die back down until Memorial day.

The first time I ever went was in August, and by mid-morning the beach was PACKED with folks parked door-to-door on the beach. Not my idea of a good time. There is so much traffic on that beach in peak season, esp because the beach is the actual road, that kids playing on the beach get hit by cars.

Not sure when it slacks off in the Fall. The fishing is supposed to be best in Sept-Oct, so it might still be busy then. Check the rate calendars on rental houses - whatever months have higher scheduled rates, you know it will be busy then. :)

Bella PSD

Explorer
I wanna say that my wife hates you...

after seeing your thread..we went to the OBX...and LOVED it...

lastnight I traded my 09 wrangler unlimited in for a 2010 toy tundra..and I plan on building something VERY similar to your flip-pac...

my wife wont see me for months...and she's mad at you..:sombrero: (not really..but funny)

Did you look at the new Flip Pac for the JK before you traded in? I am guessing it was going to be to small with the growing family.
//www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html"]http://www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Did you look at the new Flip Pac for the JK before you traded in? I am guessing it was going to be to small with the growing family.
//www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html"]http://www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html

yup..have it subscribed...we're lookin at something we both can drive (wife no drive-sticky..bad mo-jo..hit a BUS last time she drove a stick)...

and something to replace our aging diesel van thats our family towrig/hauler..

the insurance is cheap but so is the pay-off if its totaled..Ive got 5K into her with upgrades and restoration...bluebook is $1500..no extras for the turbo and camper conversions..and my ins co wont insure her as a RV due to the chassie never being an actual RV...so it would be a loss..

and I needed a truck..twins pack ALOT of kids stuff...just their crap takes up 90% of the back of the jeep (it takes up 75% of the wifes impala's trunkspace..)

its shiny?
its FAST?
:elkgrin:

GroupSe7en

Adventurer

Flippac for the JK? I can't find mention of it. It would make me seriously consider a JK.

Anyone got more info?

SGNellett

Adventurer
Louie, I'm soooo jealous, your trip looks awesome, and I am just amazed at the work you have done! I just finally finished up the lid for the trailer so I can take the RTT you sold me out camping soon! I'm shooting for a test run after the holiday here at home then off to a state park!

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Inspired

This thread, although it's old and I'm late getting to it has inspired me. I have a Wildernest I've been trying to sell with no luck. If I end up keeping it, I may just try the same thing with it. Convert it to a slide-in camper. This would really eliminate the problem with all of the dust that gets inside when on dirt roads.

I would need to modify the angle of the front to match the truck better and then build the while bottom portion. Not sure if I would want to raise it though. Probably keep it the same height, but remove the rear door and build a vertical single door like a regular slide camper, except that my Wildernest has the angle on the back??? That could get tricky.

Well, this wouldn't be until next fall so I have plenty of time to ponder this.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Nice pics and write up Louie! I cant wait to get out there myself after my 4x4 conversion gets done on our Van. What camera were you using for all your pics in this story?

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
My family and I take a 9 day trip to the OBX every year. Frisco Point NFS campground (not Frisco Woods) is a good basecamp location. Close to Cape Hatteras, Ocracoke, beach and sound access, etc.
This year we went the first week in June. Water was 76 deg F, crystal clear, air temp was 80 deg F. Pompano were biting in the surf. Insect life was minimal. Campground was about 75% unoccupied. It was as close to perfect as I have seen.
A charter boat out of Cape Hatteras (I can recommend "Godspeed") should produce 20-40 pound Mahi Mahi in abundance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz