First Foray into 4Runners - My 1st Gen Build

GTI-88

I appreciate it! That was kind of my intention. An icon-esque 1st gen build to update aspects of it and make it a lot more fun and comfortable. It’s still got a ways to go, but for now I’m just enjoying it as is. It also helped scratch the “I want the new bronco” itch when ford unveiled it
Ha I can totally appreciate that. I will be in the market for one in a few years hopefully, let them get the kinks worked out and have the platform in the public and aftermarket hands for a few years.

corax

Explorer

Summit Cruisers Jr

You won't regret it, I recommend going with an R trans for a bit more drivetrain strength if you can. I went with the VVTi version for the extra 50 hp and kept the immobilizer so I know the truck will stay where I parked it.
When you get to that point, everything you need to know about wiring it is here:
I’ve followed your thread on mud for a long time and it’s partially what convinced me on the 1uz. It’s a super great read so that’s for posting all that up. I’ll definitely be going with an R series when I do go down that path. One of my good friends is diving into his swap right now so I can’t wait to see how that turns out. He’s LT IFS and has zero intention to do a body lift on it like myself. It’ll be awhile before I’ll have the time and funds to get after it on mine. Maybe a next fall/winter project.

Anyways, the runner has been parked in the garage for the past couple weeks and off the snow and salted roads. Before that, I managed to put about 3k miles on it in a month with driving for the holidays and a couple really fun trips.

About a month ago, I had a lead on a peridot mica GX460 with the sepia interior. I’ve been eyeing one of these for the better part of the year but each one I inquire about was sold almost instantaneously with its listing being posted. I was talking to the dealer and he said 100% that it would be there when I showed up in the morning so right after work I went to the bank, went home, threw the sleeping bag and pillow in the back and hit the road for a town in NE Arkansas not too far from Memphis. I camped up on a mountain top cleared by a logging operation late that night around midnight and was back on the road by 5 am to get there when they opened. Anyways, I almost didn’t want to buy it but I shrewdly negotiated their price way down to one of the lowest prices I’ve seen a GX of this range go for regardless of mileage haha. So after that I slapped the runner on a u haul auto transporter and drove home in more comfort and at a better pace than the runner drove itself.

5454D8DE-4BC5-477E-9EF3-D1855137361A.jpeg

This one was low mileage ~77k miles, completely rust free, a base model, but had some minor damage to the passenger side reported on carfax. It looks like it lost a battle with a few shopping carts but most I was able to buff out. The rest isn’t really noticeable until you’re close up but it’ll all get fixed up in time.

I’m going to keep this thing mostly stock but I do have some 5th gen wheels I’m going to paint gloss black along with a lot of the chrome on this thing and slap some ATs and a mild lift on it.

75778C9A-98A4-477F-B519-29642D166076.jpeg

Then the next weekend I drove out to Little Sahara in NW OK for a weekend of playing in the dunes. It was honestly some of the most fun I’ve ever had in a vehicle but the front suspension’s damping abilities (well lack of them) and the 22re being wrung out in 4 low all day really highlighted the weak spots of this build.

4664AE87-02C6-472D-A9B3-62AFC7571E7F.png2678EADA-745B-44E2-A3A0-403BED948491.jpeg43BAA467-AE80-4A83-AC6F-4E9A4234F271.png

And my brother slapped together a little edit from some footy he got.

Last edited:

corax

Explorer
I’ve followed your thread on mud for a long time and it’s partially what convinced me on the 1uz. It’s a super great read so that’s for posting all that up. I’ll definitely be going with an R series when I do go down that path. One of my good friends is diving into his swap right now so I can’t wait to see how that turns out. He’s LT IFS and has zero intention to do a body lift on it like myself. It’ll be awhile before I’ll have the time and funds to get after it on mine. Maybe a next fall/winter project.
If I had to do it over, I might go with a 3UZ - it's the same exact dimensions and offers more torque with the same HP. Added benefit is that is uses AFS exhaust sensors (aka, wideband) instead of oxygen sensors for better fuel economy, but requires an electric accelerator pedal (no cable to run). JDM engine prices are about the same. The 3UZ ECU can be remapped for a small boost in power (~20hp from the dyno sheets I've seen) and throttle response (throttle response controlled by wiring in a "SPORT/ECO" switch).
On the flip side, I saw Yuri Baranov and Kelvin Glover chatting about using a 3UZ ECU to control a 1UZ VVTi for the same benefits, could use the 1UZ throttle body (throttle cable type electronic) but would need to change the ignition coils to the later style.

Summit Cruisers Jr

If I had to do it over, I might go with a 3UZ - it's the same exact dimensions and offers more torque with the same HP. Added benefit is that is uses AFS exhaust sensors (aka, wideband) instead of oxygen sensors for better fuel economy, but requires an electric accelerator pedal (no cable to run). JDM engine prices are about the same. The 3UZ ECU can be remapped for a small boost in power (~20hp from the dyno sheets I've seen) and throttle response (throttle response controlled by wiring in a "SPORT/ECO" switch).
On the flip side, I saw Yuri Baranov and Kelvin Glover chatting about using a 3UZ ECU to control a 1UZ VVTi for the same benefits, could use the 1UZ throttle body (throttle cable type electronic) but would need to change the ignition coils to the later style.
Interesting on the 1UZ updates - I briefly looked at the 4.3s but saw more info on the 1uz’s with available wiring harnesses etc but I’ll definitely be doing some research on it if it really is the same size overall. I figured it would have been larger because of the larger displacement but 0.3L wouldn’t make sense to develop a whole new motor. I feel like we’re kind of getting to the point where full donors for 1UZs are getting a little scarce and the 3UZs are now at that point where they’re more available and cheap.