FarOutVan: Ford Transit 2016 DIY campervan conversion for MTB & splitboarding

atoine

Observer
I am trying to decide on Overland build and seriously looking at Transit, I am wondering how does the tall version work out? Do you issues with driving in strong winds, or overhead clearance issues off the beaten path?

Really glad we went for the high-roof: it drives just fine (even in high winds) and we had no issue whatsoever with the height. It's nice being able to stand up and still have a foot of clearance above my head!
I'm not sure why people are so concerned about the wind. I mean, I was too because I read so much things about it online, but then it proved to be just fine!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Lots of folks, many with minimal experience in these types of Euro-style vans, claim wind will make the them undriveable. In reality it is a minor annoyance. A bigger factory is center of gravity height. It is easy to make an overland build that is very top heavy. This only makes handling and sway worse. Of course a properly valved fox shock and correct sway bar stiffness can do amazing things if needed.

Like atoine says, the standing room is nearly priceless for an overland/full time application.

As for driving on backroads, easy 4WD tracks etc, I most anything too short for a 8ft tall van, are often too gnarly to drive a 20ft+ long 8,000lb vehicle down (at least comfortably). Of course if you are talking technical 4x4 type stuff, its a different matter.

I think the current generation of 4x4 kits under development will make the transit very popular for overlanding in the USA. I would not be surprised if the number of 4x4 converted transits exceed rolling E series 4x4 numbers in the next 5 or 6 years.

DavidAlex

Antoine, great blog and thread! Sorry if you answered this elsewhere, but what made you decide to choose a van rather than a truck & slide-in camper?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Really glad we went for the high-roof: it drives just fine (even in high winds) and we had no issue whatsoever with the height. It's nice being able to stand up and still have a foot of clearance above my head!
I'm not sure why people are so concerned about the wind. I mean, I was too because I read so much things about it online, but then it proved to be just fine!

I have a high roof sprinter but I agree. It handles better than my ford 4x4 van did with no top at all, ujoint 6” and fox shocks. There is WAY more surface area on the sprinter for the wind to act on but it drives so much better even in strong winds. Seriously it is amazing to be able to stand up inside any time and stay totally dry and quiet etc. Many low roof sprinters with sportsmobile pop top and some of the ridiculous aluminess roof racks are taller than my high roof with very low profile solar mounts.

atoine

Observer
So we came up with a new Wiring Diagram. What’s wrong we the previous one? Nothing, it passed the test of time and it works exactly as it should! Then why change it? Here’s why:

We realized many people are just replicating it (which we think is great!), so we wanted to make it

1- easier to understand (see our new Interactive Diagram AND new tutorial “From Blank Page to Wiring Diagram in 15 Steps”)
2- easier to install (more intuitive design and less components to install)
3- easier to use (Plug-and-forget, monitoring via Android or iPhone)
4- easier to adapt to anyone’s need (many features can be deleted/modified for different needs/budget. See our suggestions.)

It’s the result of the ultimate question: “If you had to start over, what would you change?”. Answer: we deleted some features we never used in the real world (option to power the loads from the van's battery) and we updated some components (Victron in lieu of Bogart) because we like to stay up-to-date with the latest technology. Also we changed the inverter+charger setup for a Sterling B2B BB1260.

It's all here:
http://faroutride.com/electrical-system

Hope that helps!

Faroutride-Wiring-Diagram-V2018-rev-A-500px.jpg

Tutorial-Cover-500px.jpg

atoine

Observer
Psst kayaking the BC coast is world class. Take advantage if you can. Have fun! Cant go wrong with BC.
You mean whitewater or sea kayaking? We sold our whitewater gear cause it didn't fit in the van...

Ride in Whistler and Pemby while you are there. I love that area.
Of course!! Pemby was AWESOME! Whistler is opening up :)

Fantastic work on the Electrical System layout/description...I bought some of the amazon stuff with your links!(y)
THANKS for using our links, it means a lot!

mezmochill

Is outside
You mean whitewater or sea kayaking? We sold our whitewater gear cause it didn't fit in the van...

Of course!! Pemby was AWESOME! Whistler is opening up :)

THANKS for using our links, it means a lot!
Sea kayaking..either the inner or outer coast of vancouver island. If you dont have thegear or expiernce in a sea kayak, it wouldbe worth it to hire a guild. Other than maybe the southern chilean coast, there is no better place on the planet for sea kayaking.

Just respect the tidal currents and rips!

Have fun!

atoine

Observer
A few weeks ago we asked ourselves "If we had to start over, what would we change about our electrical system?" and published a new wiring diagram and tutorial (http://faroutride.com/wiring-diagram).

In this new diagram, we upgraded the Bogart Engineering PWM Solar Charger & Monitor to a Victron MPPT SmartSolar Charger & Monitor. Not only the diagram was upgraded, our van was too...
Victron-Upgrade.jpeg

With built-in Bluetooth and VictronConnect app, it’s possible to monitor real-time status and historical data on a Smartphone (Android or iPhone) via an intuitive graphic interface, sweeeeet! Now, does the Victron system perform better than the Bogart Engineering system? Yes. We observed much more amps coming in. We're glad we upgraded...

http://faroutride.com/victron-review/

Victron-Solar-Charge-Controller-and-Battery-Monitor-Review-heading-500-px.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne