F550 Flatbed Build

milo12

Adventurer
That looks great.:drool:

Have you made any wheel/ tire decisions? With that nice lift it looks like you have plenty of room.

btggraphix

Observer
Sheesh, I didn't miss the thread to begin with, but didn't follow the updates. Sorry I didn't answer your questions when it would have (perhaps) helped.

Thanks for the tire info. Funny you should post. I've been looking at Lance campers the last few weeks since ExPo member Capt Eddie added a Lance to his F450 flatbed. While at the Lance site I was looking at all the S. American pics from your rig's previous owner. Small world...

What are the dimension of your boxes top and bottom? On the rear it looks like they boxed in the frame rails that extend beyond the flatbed and mounted the rear hitch to the bottom. Is that accurate? Finally, is the flatbed itself a rigid mount to the frame or does it use a pivot frame? Any details, pics, and observations from your use to-date would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

For what it is worth at this point, yes, my bed is mounted solidly to the frame, and the camper ties down directly to the bed, as it looks like you ended up doing. In spite of the Kodiak having a very stout frame (more so than the F550) it still flexes a fair amount - but as far as I can tell there have been no issues from flexing. My hope has always been that by mounting to the bed, the bed versus frame flex takes up most of the 'twist' that might go into the camper (in other words, if the camper was tied down to the frame, I think it would have already damaged the camper. Hopefully the twist of the bed itself is small enough to be OK. In any case, so far so good (S. America and back, plus the use I have had so far) and I hope you also have good luck.

The boxes on mine look to be setup pretty much the way you did. The rear frame does stick out beyond the bed (as the last foot or so was chopped off) but the diamond plate you saw was just boxing in the end is all - to cover the space and the diesel tank which is in between the frame rails back there.

I'm really impressed with what you have put together. I wish I could go for the low/short flatbed with wheel wells but my cab is too darn tall for that - as it is it sits on top of about 4 inches of wood atop the flatbed to keep it high enough so the forklift twist test left enough clearance above the cab.

The hitch is a standard Reese Tow Beast, mounted to, and below, the frame rails. I'd like to see how you have mounted the 16.5K winch on the rear.

And lastly, I look forward to seeing some updates of how it's working out. Perhaps if you see this, and are rolling into Colorado we can hook up and check each others rigs out. Would love to get a closeup look at yours.

Great work!

boblynch

Adventurer
We're Back

We made it back from our 30 day test run. Still unpacking, downloading pictures, doing laundry, etc. Thanks to everyone for all the kind invites to stop by and visit. We left a few days late and had a hard return date because of the kids school, so we were unable to accept the various and tempting offers.

A few stats from the trip:
Miles driven: 7945
Average cost of diesel: $2.65
States we were in: NC, VA, WV, TN, KY, IN, IL, MO, KS, NE, IA, CO, UT, NV, OR, WA, CA, ID, MT, and WY.
National Parks visited: Rocky Mt, Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Crater Lake, and Redwoods.
Other cool spots: Glenwood Canyon (CO), Flaming Gorge NRA (UT/WY), Wasatch Mts (UT), Santa Rosa Mts (NV), Sheldon NWR (NV), Smith River NRA (CA), Oregon Dunes NRA (OR), Columbia River Gorge (OR), Mt Hood NF (OR), Kaniksu NF (ID), Hungry Horse area/Flathead NF (MT), Beartooth Mts (MT/WY), Bob Marshall Wilderness (MT), Museum of the Rockies (Bozeman MT).
Total # of meals out: 5
Media exposure: none

The last stat was the most important. We went cold turkey for the entire trip (no cell phones, TV, newspaper, internet, or radio). I figured if anything really important happened it would impact the cost of diesel or milk, otherwise I wouldn't miss it. We carried a cell phone for emergencies only. I didn't even have time to buy and learn how to use a GPS. We did the whole trip with an old 2007 road atlas.

The truck and camper setup performed well. It was tough to drive at highway speeds in the high crosswinds. With the lift kit and small stock 225 tires it was not a surprise. Once we add the additional storage boxes (more weight down low) and new tires it should be much better. The rig is a perfect size for us.

All of the overland vets that told me it's about mental attitude and life experiences were right. We had a blast. Along the way we learned a great deal about our family, priorities, nature, and travel. Not sure how integrating back into our "normal life" is going to work out. Don't think it will be the same, and I mean that in the best way.

Cheers,
Bob

milo12

Adventurer
Welcome back. Can't wait for the full trip report.

You mention miles driven and diesel cost but not gallons used. How was the mileage?

boblynch

Adventurer
Long Overdue Update

Sorry to have gone dark for so long. I've been really busy at work the past six months and have had very very little ExPo time to spare. The project was on hold for a while, but is now in full swing.

New stuff added:
1. Rickson 20x11 steel wheels
2. Continental MPT81s
3. larger rear cargo doors for space under bunk
4. second fresh water tank (see pic of tank and foam model)
5. additional insulation in rear cargo and water tank area
6. rear wheel arches added to flatbed frame (no pics yet)

New stuff going on this month:
1. front fender flares
2. relocation of fuel fillers
3. camper side boxes
4. Torklift superhitch
5. Warn 16.5ti winch
6. spare tire carrier
7. camper leg extensions

As you can see in the attached photos the new wheels are big. We spent some time testing with a 5000lb block of concrete and a forklift. With the block aft of the axle we didn't rub the lower boxes or sag too low. Decided on a 6 inch rear fender to maximize storage in the upper boxes. Once we cut the front fenders and get the flares on I'll let you know how it rides on the new wheels. Will post more as things progress this month.

823443844_CyEmT-L.jpg

823444994_wYUR6-L.jpg

823461071_S4cch-L.jpg

823444614_6vFmx-M.jpg

823461654_zMePG-M.jpg

823462035_a4JPh-M.jpg

766527553_kvDFa-M.jpg

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
WOW ! ! ! :Wow1: :Wow1: :Wow1:
Welcome back :D
Lots of good progress.
Bet the Rickson wheels were worth the investment in quality.
What size MPT81 tires did you decide on ?
Neat way to model the aux. water tank - where will it be installed ?
Hope you folks will be able to get out and enjoy again, soon !

boblynch

Adventurer
WOW ! ! ! :Wow1: :Wow1: :Wow1:
Welcome back :D
Lots of good progress.
Bet the Rickson wheels were worth the investment in quality.
What size MPT81 tires did you decide on ?
Neat way to model the aux. water tank - where will it be installed ?
Hope you folks will be able to get out and enjoy again, soon !

Thanks. The tires are MPT81 335/80R20.

The water tank fits where the black tank normally would go. Since we opted for a cassette toilet there was a big empty space in the heated area next to the grey tank. They used the foam template and some 1x1 foam spacers to determine the largest tank size possible without cutting off air flow around both tanks so it doesn't freeze. Haven't volume tested it yet, but the new tank's about 40 gal. The stock fresh tank is 30 gal.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
That's great !

Hope the Contis were not too hard to locate.

I was in contact with them directly regarding the possibility of making them for a 16" wheel (preferably ~36" OD 255/100R16), but there just did not seem to be the market :(
I was also looking at the smaller (much) 275/80R20 (37.4" OD) ones, but it is just too much for what we're doing - even the 35" OD I was running before is a bit too much, at the moment, although it looks good ;)

Will you be carrying one or two spares ?

That's fantastic that you are able to efficiently use that previously empty space ! Bravo ! ! ! 70 gals total should make things much more comfortable for all on board. I am really impressed with how you have planned and arranged all this - well done ! ! ! :clapsmile

Will you folks be able to get away again, soon ?

Again, congratulations !

Last edited:

alexrex20

Explorer
nice truck!

lol @ "testing" with a 5000lb concrete block on the bed. that well exceeds the payload on most trucks out on the road.

what's the payload on a 550 compared to a 350/450?

chasespeed

Explorer
The listed ratings for the 550...

7150 for curb weight
19,500 GVWR
16,000 towing

F350
6300# curb
13,000 GVWR
13,500 towing.

Seems like 550 is a perfect build for a LONG hauler....

Sweet man... looking to build something similar when its time to start traveling instead of working...

Chase

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I would love to see some inside pictures. I have two boys that camp with me and the wife and a dog. This is the first TC that will meet our needs in size.

GREAT build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles