F150 overland build

Raul B

Explorer
so im thinking in need coilovers. after driving on the dirt road to DR i noticed that the truck rides like crap. there are soo many options for coilovers and all around the same price.

Raul B

Explorer
So i was tired of having the wires and a ugly temporary switch hanging from my dash for my 50" light bar..
20140401_185646_zpsbe531af7.jpg

so i decided to mount some of these Smittybuilt Rocker switches..
20140401_184938_zps7a54e450.jpg

It didnt come with a template so i decided to make my own out of some thin plexi i had laying around.
20140401_184949_zps90a137c3.jpg

20140401_185532_zpsdf3be711.jpg

I then figured out where i wanted to mount the switches and put some blue tape over it and marked it out. I drilled wholes on each corner and used a utility knife to do the straight cut
20140401_190656_zpse7568c9f.jpg

once the whole was cut i just used a file to widen the whole large enough to fit the switch.
20140401_192140_zps181dd2bf.jpg

20140401_192726_zpsa534a871.jpg

Its definitely a much cleaner look

Raul B

Explorer
Nice work, as usual.

So, how'd that Arkpak work for you? Usable? Sturdy? Worth it?
it wasnt too bad. i think i over estimated how long i could use it for and how much i could plug in. we had the fridge plugged into it for about 24 hours, LED lights on my awning and LED lights at night around the camo tent. I think the LED lights around the camo tent is what killed the battery even faster. before i plugged them in i had about 70% battery charge left after a full day of the fridge being plugged in and a couple of hours later it was down to like 30%. Plus we also forgot to put the fridge in Eco mode overnight so by the next morning it was down to like 10%.

ill be taking it out on another trip in about a week and a half and ill only have the fridge plugged into it so once i come back from that trip ill do a full review on it. For the price its not too bad if you dont want to mess with a dual battery setup. plus this one is also portable so its not tied to your truck.

-Raul

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Nice work as usual, Raul. Do you have a shop of sometype or are these just tools/materials you have laying around your garage? I wish I had a house with a garage for me to play in!

As far as you wanting coil overs, DO IT!! Talk to Marshal. He knows a ton about coil overs and may be able to give you some advice. Here is a link to his build thread
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121578-The-Grey

Raul B

Explorer
Nice work as usual, Raul. Do you have a shop of sometype or are these just tools/materials you have laying around your garage? I wish I had a house with a garage for me to play in!

As far as you wanting coil overs, DO IT!! Talk to Marshal. He knows a ton about coil overs and may be able to give you some advice. Here is a link to his build thread
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121578-The-Grey

yup i own a performance parts business. but im working on my truck at home so thats my shop at home in these pictures. and i dont really have any special tools at home. i cut everything with a dewalt grinder and a sawzall. i have a craftsman drill press and a lincoln welder i bought at home depot. Thats pretty much it. everything else is just Harbor freight stuff since i have one about a mile away from my place.

Raul B

Explorer
On a side note i have been trying to figure out how to mount some lights on my roof rack. Im not talking about very bright LED lights but something that is bright enough to use at night at camp but not enough to blind anyone. i thought about just running my rope light that i used on the Camo tent during the DR but i thought it would look cheasy. So i just hit up one of my distributors and bought a underbody LED light kit in white. ill be mounted it to the roof rack via zip ties and should have enough light for what i want.

the kit looks like this: http://www.ledunderbody.com/LED-Light-Kits-for-Trucks-White-Slimline-Truck-Underbody-Kit-1.aspx

if for some reason it looks like crap ill just some of the smaller pieces inside the camper shell.

-Raul

super04duty

Observer
I just used the same switches in my F350. I didn't use plexi tho, I just cut out the "template" from the package, and make a few photocopies, and taped that to the dash panel and cut it out with a dremel.

With the angle, and as low as I mounted mine, I can just see the light inside it when I turn a switch off. At first I thought the switch was arcing, but its just the indicator light.

Raul B

Explorer
Thanks to my buddy Mitch for guiding me in the right direction.

So this weekend at the Xpedition Outfitters wrenching day Mitch is going to help me with setting up my power to the rear of my bed.

we have decided on going with powerwerx red/black zip cord in 06g, 12g and 16g. as well as a resettle 100 amp cercuit breaker. On top of that i also bought a blue Sea fuse box found here as well as a couple of 12 v outlets like these
the fuse box looks like this
5026_zps699fbeb6.jpg

we are also going to wire up my power inverter and mount it where i cant see it and use a power cord that is plugged into it and run that to a outdoor household outlet. The setup might look like this

]
frontofdecked_zpseb38996a.jpg

still not 100% sure on how were going to do it but i think i can mount that and the relay box in one of the "ammo storage" spaces from my decked system and have the 12v outlets and the 110 outlets sticking out of the back of it.
topofdecked_zps4ad7519a.jpg

i guess we will see this weekend.

super04duty

Observer
You mean Ill get to just sit back and watch you guys install electrical stuff that Ive wanted forever, just haven't managed to get the time/money ratio right to buy it myself? Might be the easiest wrench day Ive ever been apart of. lol (I do, however, have all my electrical stuff in the truck, except for my soldering gun, which my dad is still using up north.)

Raul B

Explorer
You mean Ill get to just sit back and watch you guys install electrical stuff that Ive wanted forever, just haven't managed to get the time/money ratio right to buy it myself? Might be the easiest wrench day Ive ever been apart of. lol (I do, however, have all my electrical stuff in the truck, except for my soldering gun, which my dad is still using up north.)

There will be plenty of electrical work to go around. I believe someone has gauges to install.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne