F150 Build Plan

Check out filthymotorsports.com, and their golden shock vids on youtube.

http://www.filthymotorsports.com/King_OEM_F_150_Shocks_p/king-25001-367.htm

Wow, Super helpful Buliwyf! Thanks a bundle!

Unless you plan on towing a heavy trailer, look at the 2.7 EcoBoost. For what you have described it will do well and cost less to purchase and in fuel.

It is too late for that for me. I did consider it, but then I thought maybe ill need the extra power later..... and here I am :Shrug:

D

Deleted member 9101

Wow, Super helpful Buliwyf! Thanks a bundle!

It is too late for that for me. I did consider it, but then I thought maybe ill need the extra power later..... and here I am :Shrug:

The 3.5 will never be lacking in the power department. If you do find yourself wanting more, a simple tune and they get about 80 more HP and 100ftlb with no negative side effects.

Also, if you are so inclined... you can make 600HP on the stock internals and surprise all kinds of people when the light turns green ?

D

Deleted member 9101

Except your transmission guy. He won't be the least startled to see you.

Nope... they hold together. I know guys with years of full boost launches, in 4 hi, and they are not having any issues.

Grassland

Admiral what end of the world are you in? What kind of terrain do you expect to usually see?

I Have a 2014 SCAB 3.7 4x4 on Bilstien 5100s at 1.75" front, 5165s with AAL and blocks in the rear, and BFG K02 34x10.5R17 (which is really a 33, and fits in OEM spare spot) 3.73 gears, open rear end (so far) and no factory tow package. Full RCI aluminium skid package (already save the transmission once) Had to run wiring and add hitch, brake control etc, and still don't have the added oil and tranny cooling, or tow rating of the real tow package.
I was toying with the idea of going to a 2018 XLT Ecoboost but you can't get 3.73 gears in the SCAB 6.5' truck. (Plus i bought a 2018 Transit 250 for my business, so don't have the money to upgrade the truck right now anyways)
If I could do my truck again, id get the factory tow package. The auxiliary oil and trans cooling will be worth it when loaded up heavy and off road. I too would get factory E locker.

I think you are on the right path, and sticking to 2" max front lift is a good idea. I am not too sure on the 2018s but my 2014 UCA is pretty decent quality for OEM, so I too didn't want to buy new wheels with different back space to clear uppers I hopefully won't need any time soon. The set up you described weighs in at 200lbs less than my non ecoboost 2014, which to me is a huge selling point. Since this hobby tends to over load vehicles anyways. Also like other guys mentioned, overlanding and wheeling are kind of different, so vehicles builds don't have to be done with the exact same mindset.
Other tire choices are 255/80r17 but you are limited in options, or if you get 18s 275/70r18, both should fit with no issues with a front level.

Truck has arrived!
Love it so far!

Went ahead and ordered skid plates from RCI metal works.
New suspension is also on order.
Once I install the suspension I will then upgrade the tires. Gonna go with 285/70r17 falken wildpeak a/t3w.

Next I am looking at camper shell to put on the back. Currently looking at Snugtop rebel and a.r.e overland. Anyone have experience with either of those?
Lastly I am considering a drawer system like decked on maybe a DIY system..... not sure yet.

Here is a pic!
IMG_20180928_181720.jpg

ITTOG

Congrats, can't wait to see your build! I think the 285s could be a better option if you were concerned with any rubbing, I don't know where you are located but I got a great deal on new Falken LT 285s at a place in Escondido (socal) for my dads truck. $1200 cash for new tires and new eagle alloy rims. Concerning the shocks, I think the 2.5s would be great and theres always some deals on criagslist sometimes from people upgrading.

I recently got a 17 F150 XL supercab 4x4 and I am slowly going to build it out. Nice to see others building f150s on here too.

Hooray! Another person with the supercab haha! (I swear I only ever see crew cabs)
I guess I should have mentioned that I am planning on going somewhere between 1.5" -2" in the front with the coilovers to level the truck. That may have some effect on the rubbing issue. Planning on keeping the stock 17" alloy wheels.
Dunno if I would personally trust used shocks who knows what people have done to them!
Just not sure if 2.5s would be overkill and not sure how to figure that out either.
I will note that I am currently leaning toward fox coilovers and shocks, but no 100% set on that.
I read that the crew cab makes up like 85% of their sales.

Here is mine with the trailer I will be fixing up for 4x4 camping. IMG_20180921_144851.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Amp34

Have a 17 SCAB 6'5 box 5.0 3.55 with E-Locker so similar to yours. We have a Go Fast Camper on order and I'm trying to work out what tyres and suspension upgrades to do (amongst other things), so will be following with interest.

For tyres i'm wondering about KO2's to replace the Fortitudes for summer as they seem to be the "go to", but as we do mostly highway (but a fair chunk of gravel) I wonder if they're a bit overkill.

Also thinking about getting some of the RCI stuff as well, including sliders to replace stock running boards.

We took a trip to Utah this spring in it (as stock) and had some fun on the trails, but the departure angle was a killer - we had to turn back a couple of times because of it, I'm guessing there's no real way of sorting that without a significant lift! Everywhere else we've been it's not been a problem though.

malibubts

Adventurer
Truck has arrived!
Love it so far!

Went ahead and ordered skid plates from RCI metal works.
New suspension is also on order.
Once I install the suspension I will then upgrade the tires. Gonna go with 285/70r17 falken wildpeak a/t3w.

Next I am looking at camper shell to put on the back. Currently looking at Snugtop rebel and a.r.e overland. Anyone have experience with either of those?
Lastly I am considering a drawer system like decked on maybe a DIY system..... not sure yet.

Here is a pic!
View attachment 475934

As an FYI, Falken makes those tires in a 285/75 R17. It's a bit of an uncommon size, but you get an extra inch of diameter without increasing tire width. I put them on my Ram 1500 about 7,000 miles ago and have been pretty happy with them. I'm not sure if they are doable on your suspension, but with my truck it was about the biggest I could go with my wheels and suspension. I've also got Fox 2.0s up front from Carli for what it's worth.

I've got a Leer 100 on the back of my Ram as well as a set of Decked drawers. I'm pretty happy with it overall and don't think you'd go wrong with it. I do have a couple things I would have done differently though. If you plan on sleeping on top of a platform in the back, don't get a cab height shell. It works and all but I really would like the extra head room of a mid height. Also I'd get the carpet lining, I decided not to in order to save a bit of cash but forgot about condensation. I've heard the carpet helps with that.

ITTOG

Anyone know if we can put an e-locker on the front differential of our f150's.

Have a 17 SCAB 6'5 box 5.0 3.55 with E-Locker so similar to yours. We have a Go Fast Camper on order and I'm trying to work out what tyres and suspension upgrades to do (amongst other things), so will be following with interest.

For tyres i'm wondering about KO2's to replace the Fortitudes for summer as they seem to be the "go to", but as we do mostly highway (but a fair chunk of gravel) I wonder if they're a bit overkill.

Also thinking about getting some of the RCI stuff as well, including sliders to replace stock running boards.

We took a trip to Utah this spring in it (as stock) and had some fun on the trails, but the departure angle was a killer - we had to turn back a couple of times because of it, I'm guessing there's no real way of sorting that without a significant lift! Everywhere else we've been it's not been a problem though.

I have heard good things about the K02s and I have also heard they don't live up to the hype. I think I am going to go with the Falken wilpeak A/t3w.
I decided to go with the King 2.5s for suspension. I talked with Ben @ filthymotorsports he was super helpful in making my decision.

As an FYI, Falken makes those tires in a 285/75 R17. It's a bit of an uncommon size, but you get an extra inch of diameter without increasing tire width. I put them on my Ram 1500 about 7,000 miles ago and have been pretty happy with them. I'm not sure if they are doable on your suspension, but with my truck it was about the biggest I could go with my wheels and suspension. I've also got Fox 2.0s up front from Carli for what it's worth.

I've got a Leer 100 on the back of my Ram as well as a set of Decked drawers. I'm pretty happy with it overall and don't think you'd go wrong with it. I do have a couple things I would have done differently though. If you plan on sleeping on top of a platform in the back, don't get a cab height shell. It works and all but I really would like the extra head room of a mid height. Also I'd get the carpet lining, I decided not to in order to save a bit of cash but forgot about condensation. I've heard the carpet helps with that.

I ended up ordering a snugtop rebel. I am not concerned about the headroom with cab height. Definitely go the carpet lining as I also heard it helps with condensation.
I am still debating right now, but I think I am leaning toward building my own drawer system. Something like this: Truck Bed Drawers (Youtube)

I have no idea, never thought about it. let me know if you find out.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
you can put the Torsen differential from the Raptor in, or you can run aftermarket. the front differential is the Ford 8.8 IFS High Pinion

Boatbuilder79

Our front is a 31 spline 10 bolt 8.8. Eaton makes an e locker that should fit.

I am collecting parts to rehear to 4.11 and that is going to be part of it.

Boatbuilder79

I have the ko2 tires and do not like them.
They will not balance.

Going back with Bridgestones next time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior