F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My friend who has a 5.9 Cummins pre-emissions '05 with a Goerend trans and Smarty turned up drove a new F-150 2.7 this week and said it would smoke his Ram. He backed off on the gas on the freeway and the mpg readout said 25 mpg. I know that's overly generous but it hauled ass with the 10 speed transmission.
Just did a 190 mile out and back all highway set the cruise at 71mph. Trip average on the 3.5 2019 Heavy tow 3.73 Expedition was just a 10th under 23mpg. Thats with stock sized 285’s on stock 22’s 3 peak rated BFG Trail Terrain tire. I lost about 1mpg at the higher highway speeds going from the Yokohama oem highway tire to the far better Trail Terrain hybrid a/t tire.
Same trip in my old Sequoia would have been 15mpg average.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Can't believe this post is nearly 30 pages... people are so obsessed with MPG and fuel economy numbers. This is ridiculous for an off road / overland vehicle where the first upgrades absolutely RUIN the fuel mileage: off road tires, lift, added weight, campers/canopies/trailers...

If you keep the truck 100% stock then yes you could benefit from all these high tech motors (stop start, cylinder deactivation, turbos, direct injection, VVT and on it goes). But there is a cost to owning them long term (I'd buy a good warranty).

My brother in law has a 100% stock 2022 F150 2.7L 4x4. It gets worse fuel economy towing their 6k lb trailer than our old school 6.2L F250 on 37s (will all the off road goodies) towing similar. However, empty on a road trip the computer was reporting 25-26mpg on a 3hr section of the trip. That's impressive! Our F250 would only be 16-17mpg
on that section (empty) but we are highly modified. Our stock 6.2L F250 would get 19mpg in similar conditions.

My advice... only buy these fancy tech motors with a good warranty. Only buy if you are keeping them mostly stock (otherwise you'll lose the benefits).

If you are towing or planning to put big off road tires, lift or other similar modifications... then forget about the rated economy numbers. I'd focus on buying the most proven, durable, reliable, simple drivetrain you can buy. After all, the point of an overland vehicle is to travel to remote locations and come back (hopefully).

skrypj

Can't believe this post is nearly 30 pages... people are so obsessed with MPG and fuel economy numbers. This is ridiculous for an off road / overland vehicle where the first upgrades absolutely RUIN the fuel mileage: off road tires, lift, added weight, campers/canopies/trailers...

If you keep the truck 100% stock then yes you could benefit from all these high tech motors (stop start, cylinder deactivation, turbos, direct injection, VVT and on it goes). But there is a cost to owning them long term (I'd buy a good warranty).

My brother in law has a 100% stock 2022 F150 2.7L 4x4. It gets worse fuel economy towing their 6k lb trailer than our old school 6.2L F250 on 37s (will all the off road goodies) towing similar. However, empty on a road trip the computer was reporting 25-26mpg on a 3hr section of the trip. That's impressive! Our F250 would only be 16-17mpg
on that section (empty) but we are highly modified. Our stock 6.2L F250 would get 19mpg in similar conditions.

My advice... only buy these fancy tech motors with a good warranty. Only buy if you are keeping them mostly stock (otherwise you'll lose the benefits).

If you are towing or planning to put big off road tires, lift or other similar modifications... then forget about the rated economy numbers. I'd focus on buying the most proven, durable, reliable, simple drivetrain you can buy. After all, the point of an overland vehicle is to travel to remote locations and come back (hopefully).

A vast majority of people are not running 37’s and armor everywhere. And most people dont tow a majority of the time. Even on this site.

So for most people, these engines make a lot of sense.

Also, even though these engines are complex, I think you would find that its extremely rare someone has a catastrophic failure that leaves them stranded somewhere. Ive owned an ecoboost for 7 years and spent 8 years on the Ecoboost forums and its very rare for something like that to happen.

Ive absolutely abused my 2014 towing a travel trailer all around the rockies and its stout.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
A vast majority of people are not running 37’s and armor everywhere. And most people dont tow a majority of the time. Even on this site.

Also, even though these engines are complex, I think you would find that its extremely rare someone has a catastrophic failure that leaves them stranded somewhere. Ive owned an ecoboost for 7 years and spent 8 years on the Ecoboost forums and its very rare for something like that to happen.

Ive absolutely abused my 2014 towing a travel trailer all around the rockies and its stout.
Not everyone is running a F150 with this engine either. I run 4-5 kids to club volleyball 2x a week and often have 6+ hauling to our vball tournament location 80 miles away. Which case as a people and gear hauler that easily posts 20-22mpg averages on these trips that’s important.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Not everyone is running a F150 with this engine either. I run 4-5 kids to club volleyball 2x a week and often have 6+ hauling to our vball tournament location 80 miles away. Which case as a people and gear hauler that easily posts 20-22mpg averages on these trips that’s important.

Grassland

Any other Canadians noticing Ford.ca has changed the builder? Not only is it still showing 21' model year for the build/configure, but on my mobile I don't have a large portion of any of the options showing up. Nothing for bed liners or tail gates or tow packages or anything. It's like they slimmed it down or something.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Any other Canadians noticing Ford.ca has changed the builder? Not only is it still showing 21' model year for the build/configure, but on my mobile I don't have a large portion of any of the options showing up. Nothing for bed liners or tail gates or tow packages or anything. It's like they slimmed it down or something.
I have noticed Ford pulling options and even standard items off various trims all likely tied to supply chain issues. I think many companies are finally switching to a not in inventory not listed as something someone can purchase model.

I just got my Suzuki 9.9 outboard after a 12 month wait after ordering it. The well respected marine business said prices were increased 2 times since I ordered (they honored my original price) I was just happy they finally got it. But he said lots of customers were pissed off and nasty about the delay to the point he doesn’t think he’ll order anymore and only sell what he has in stock. He is busy enough with higher profit stuff and customers who don’t get pissy about stuff he has no control over.

Grassland

I should by a lead frame for my 6R80 and some control arms and ball joints etc just to have in stock. Seems like I'll be driving my 14 for the next decade lol

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think it's just a problem with the site. The Ford.ca website is terrible as is the communication from Ford Canada. That's happened before.

D45

Explorer
When did Ford go to electronic waste gates for the turbos? Do both 3.5L and 2.7L have electronic wg?

When did Ford change turbo sizing for the 3.5L

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

Good points. They are definitely not tower's or camper haulers. Let's see how the Tundra's work out in the long run. The consoles are already rattling.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I didnt realize the 5.0 had phaser issues. The 2nd gen 3.5 Ecoboost did/does for sure but hadn't heard that on the 5.0.

It makes you wonder why Ford seems to have done such a great job with the 2.7 but can't get the 3.5 or 5.0 to be just as bulletproof.
My 2.7 has been crap, lots of new broncos have been crap…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94