Extreme use Earthroamer

dcrzach

Our e350 shuttle bus conversion sits at 13k lbs .. Utilizing a leaf sprung Dana 60 front axle .. Its very similar in size (22ft long , 8 ft wide, 11ft tall) and carrys similar offroad potential to a GXV adventure truck or f550 Earthroamer . I did not invest nearly as much to own a very similar offroad capable home with a multi month ability to remain autarkic, so I can promise you i have tested beyond its limitations its ability to tackle any terrain. Any machine such as a GXV or Earthroamer with purpose built offroad components already placed on a proven platform can gurantee performance .

Attachments

If you watch videos on EarthRoamer, you will see the interior is all high end luxury so that part of the high cost. Also, there are “Super C” RVs out there made by more high volume companies that are built on commercial truck chassis that should provide the same durability for less extreme dirt roads. Probably a better value for someone who doesn’t need the ground clearance of an EarthRoamer.

Here is my perspective:
-There are over 1000 places in the world that I would like to visit
-Over half require airline travel so I will probably only see a small percentage.
-Maybe 70% of the other half are easily accessible by any rv on the market.
-About 20% might be restricted to smaller vehicles like Class C or less.
-Maybe 10% also require travel on dirt roads that cause extra wear and tear on light duty vehicles.
-Maybe 3% require ground clearance provided by an EarthRoamer or unimog.

My finances and perspective don’t justify the expense to fill the niche provided by EarthRoamers but that doesn’t mean that the niche doesn’t exist.

Last edited:

VikingVince

Explorer
Earthroamers have done the road to Toroweap (north rim of the Grand Canyon, also called Tuweep)...I think there are pics somewhere here on ExPo. It's a 60 mile dirt/gravel road but the last 10-20 have loose shale, deep ruts and a little off camber in places...high clearance and 4WD required.

On a trip there several years ago, came across a guy and gf trying to drive out there in a regular car with highway tires...he had 2 flats! Al Walters (RIP...some of you remember him) took the guy and his tires 40 miles back into town to get them fixed.

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Earthroamers have done the road to Toroweap (north rim of the Grand Canyon, also called Tuweep)...I think there are pics somewhere here on ExPo. It's a 60 mile dirt/gravel road but the last 10-20 have loose shale, deep ruts and a little off camber in places...high clearance and 4WD required.

On a trip there several years ago, came across a guy and gf trying to drive out there in a regular car with highway tires...he had 2 flats! Al Walters (RIP...some of you remember him) took the guy and his tires 40 miles back into town to get them fixed.
Last time I was at Toroweap there were more passenger cars and minivans than "expedition vehicles"

Did they have special permission?
Prohibited
  • Vehicles and vehicle combinations longer than 22 feet (6.7 m) are prohibited. This is the total length from end to end, including anything towed.

1566061569520.png

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I wonder if there is a automatic timer on the forum that we can set so this topic comes up every 3 months as a matter of course?

That way no one has to remember "Oh, it's my turn to start the "large expo vehicle/rock crawler/offroad vs bad road butthurt pissing match" thread. It gets annoying when someone misses their turn and we have to wait a whole 5 or 6 months for it to come around again.

AbleGuy

[Back] Roads Scholar
'Andytruck', the initial poster, posted a follow-up, and that's that. Too many forum topics get started this way, basically to poke a person, or a product, or both. Then, as everyone sprawls around to take a position, etc., the OP sits back and laughs....
But maybe sometimes that exactly the point....to stir sh*t up a bit, and get an entertaining debate going, the sit back and childishly giggle at the swarm of angry bees streaming out of the hive you kicked over. I’d say that was precisely the intention of this OP. Ha! And you all fell for it!

But I say, Right On!
I thoroughly enjoy reading and joining in on some of these weird, wandering, back and forth dialogues. They definitely add a little extra hot salsa to the forum.

If it really becomes a big problem, then the Mods can step in.

AbleGuy

[Back] Roads Scholar
Regarding TOTOWEAP....

Last time I went out there, it was in a front wheel drive dodge mini van. But then again, it was being driven by a knowledgeable GC NPS Ranger buddy of mine, so.....

Last edited:

AbleGuy

[Back] Roads Scholar
I see no reason why you couldn't stuff an Earthroamer (or equivialnt) anywhere you can take a logging truck. And here in BC, logging trucks go to some pretty amazing places.

Oh, Rats! Darn and curse you, You’ve just let the cat out of the bag about one of the best kept secrets about exploring B.C. ....the great logging roads one can get on to explore the wild country!

Years ago, while driving a HD 3/4 T 4wd pickup with a small hard sided camper on it up the then unpaved Cassiar Hwy in far western B.C., we often took the chance to turn off it on to logging (or mining?) roads that tied into it. In doing so, we were immediately wowed by how much further into wild country we suddenly were.

Ever since that trip, I’ve dreamed of returning to further explore those rough trail in something even more heavy duty, like a 4x4 Fuso with a 10’ Alaska camper on it. FWIW, I think an EarthRoamer would get its azz kicked on those narrow, beat up dirt tracks.

Last edited:

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Oh, Rats! Darn and curse you, You’ve just let the cat out of the about one of the best kept secrets about exploring B.C. ....the great logging roads one can get on to explore the wild country!

Years ago, while driving a HD 3/4 T 4wd pickup with a small hard sided camper on it up the then unpaved Cassiar Hwy in far western B.C., we often took the chance to turn off it on to logging (or mining?) roads that tied into it. In doing so, we were immediately wowed by how much further into wild country we suddenly were.

Ever since that trip, I’ve dreamed of returning to further explore those rough trail in something even more heavy duty, like a 4x4 Fuso with a 10’ Alaska camper on it. FWIW, I think an EarthRoamer would get its azz kicked on those narrow, beat up dirt tracks.

i just came back from spending two glorious weeks exploring Northern Vancouver Island. You can get almost anywhere up their via logging roads.....of course the downside if you have to watch for those massive Vancouver Island logging trucks and be prepared to eat the ditch at a moments notice (still worth it though)

AbleGuy

[Back] Roads Scholar
i just came back from spending two glorious weeks exploring Northern Vancouver Island. You can get almost anywhere up their via logging roads.....of course the downside if you have to watch for those massive Vancouver Island logging trucks and be prepared to eat the ditch at a moments notice (still worth it though)

They’ve got really huge mother’s, like this, up there.
And yeah, you better get out of their way!

(Kinda like those scary, ginormous asbestos mine trucks that you’d encounter coming straight at you, roaring right down the middle of the gravel surfaced Cassiar Highway years ago.)

CCC210F0-47FA-4965-A3A8-1539BA3716A6.jpeg

And now, back to the rather tired discussion of whether $300 k campers could/should be driven off-road.....

Last edited: