ExPo's 2000 7.3 Excursion Build

Explorerinil

Observer
Advice needed please:
Would any of you consider a 2005 Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0 with 165k on it? .... all stock, no lifts or upgrades - Engine seems solid thus far with
some repairs only such as fuel Injection Control Module and replacement of crank and can sensor which owner says should be good for another 150k miles.
I am not planing on heavy tows, just expo build... would I be taking a big chance on this engine vs 7.3l?
Many thanks!!
Body in good shape? The 6.0 is not a very desirable engine, you will need to spend some money on it to make it reliable, there are a ton of vendors out there that make parts for the 6.0, google river city diesel, they specialize in that. I personally would pass, I wouldn’t want to spend a ton on that engine just to make it last.

ropes

Hey Chris, awesome build. I also have an ex and interested in the ome suspension, I don't want anything crazy just 2-2.5" lift. Maybe I missed it but do you remember the part number of the springs, and also if you remember how much lift did it give you before and after(still have to get it in the garage).

Boz

Observer
Body in good shape? The 6.0 is not a very desirable engine, you will need to spend some money on it to make it reliable, there are a ton of vendors out there that make parts for the 6.0, google river city diesel, they specialize in that. I personally would pass, I wouldn’t want to spend a ton on that engine just to make it last.

Head gaskets, head studs,egr will be an issue if not deleted, that’s a good start.

Check out www.rivercitydiesel.com

When 6.0’s were new, my friend went through 2engines under warranty, they can be made reliable if u open up your wallet.

Exactly the reason why my 05 EX has the v10. People think their 7.3's are made of solid gold and Ive been around too many problem 6.0s. One day the Ex will get the same 5.9 thats in the Dodge.

Dalko43

Explorer
Exactly the reason why my 05 EX has the v10. People think their 7.3's are made of solid gold and Ive been around too many problem 6.0s. One day the Ex will get the same 5.9 thats in the Dodge.

Blasphemy!

But seriously, that should make for a very interesting and capable build.

willjohn

Chris,

I don't know if the list is in this tread somewhere but could you please email me a list of everything you completed on your Excursion along with links and contacts if possible. I'm in the market for an excursion and I like most of the stuff you have completed. will_john769@yahoo.com Thanks in advance.

davec17

I have a 6.0 that was a county truck (EMS) got it with 150K, have 180K now, before I purchased from the county the truck was 100% stock and maintained by Ford, they replaced the head gaskets and reprogrammed the ECU at 130K as a ford/fleet advised service. The Truck has been flawless since then, and am hoping it will go another 100K for me. I do not have studs, or a delete.. Change the oil every 5K, stay on top of fuel filters, and throw in some archoil every change, and do not hotrod the truck and I think the 6.0 can be reliable. I was very turned off by all the bad out there on the 6.0 but if you look hard enough you'll realize most of the issues with the 6.0 are in trucks with engine work ect.. there is as much good as bad out there, the bad is very vocal and can be found with a simple search.. just my 2 cents as a fellow 6.0 owner. tons of power an 20+ MPG on the highway.. cant complain.

Brentc

Yes we NEED updates!haha

Just picked up a 05 6.0 unmolested in amazing shape. Its getting studded and taking care of the ego cooler.

Great thread btw really enjoyed reading your build and adventures!

St1

So that big ole article on regearing and I know I saw the Ex in the article, yet no info on what Chris's Excursion is geared at. Help a brother out. I have 315 75 16 also in bfg ko2. Anyone know why bfg is so far behind in making more of this tire available? Ive been waiting since september to pick up a new set.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I love seeing General Grabbers on the front page article

DSCF0298.jpg

when did you put those on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior