Expedition Vehicle selection thoughts?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
srq,
It looks like you are settled in with the Cummins/5500. One issue that I've been mulling over with this thread is frame flexibility as regards to using a 3 or 4 point subframe so as not to pull the camper body apart.
Has Ford changed their frame rigidity in the last 15 years?
When I was working through what truck platform to get for my Lance, I found that Ford had the most flexibility compared to Dodge or Chevy. What I found was the hydro formed frame Dodge used on their 2001-2002, 3 to 5 series trucks was the least flexible and thus not requiring a separate 3-point subframe. Chevy is very close if not the same according to Jack. Flex is exacerbated with a long wheel base, so I bought a short bed truck knowing it would be more difficult to find a suitable camper box but easier on tight turns in the wild. My bro has a long bed, 1999 Ford 7.3/6 speed/9.5 OUTFITTER! and he has to double or triple pump the same turns I do in one pop. Those pesky front leaf springs are part of the problem as is the longer w.b.
jefe

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Chassis cab Fords are boxed front, C channel rear frame. The F250/350 fully boxed frame is too rigid for the big trucks, and a pita to mount boxes to. People wanted stffer frames, Ford provided. I don't agree with it, but the ride is nicer.

Ever see a flat bed truck split it's frame in half on a lift? Thats often because they bolted the flat bed down too well and eliminated frame flex. So the frame only flexes between the cab and bed. Splits like a sheet of folded paper eventually.

Spring mounting campers kinda stinks, but works.

We chose the Ram 5500 over the F550 for several reasons. I think the 6.7 cummins is a better motor. I am not a fan of the 6.7 Powerstroke at all, however, I love the 7.3 Powerstroke and if Ford brought that motor back then the chassis choice would be simple. I have a 2003 F250 with the 7.3 motor and absolutely love it. Additionally, Ford requires the body to be lifted of the chassis for some repairs and that would mean removal and disassembly of the cabin and thus is not acceptable. Lastly, if we decide to travel south of the border deleting the DEF is easier on the Dodge then the Ford.

Good answer . Just not to the question I asked.. I am asking about you choice to switch from the MTV platform to a pickup truck platform.. what aspect of your experience with the MTV prompted this decision to switch platforms? What are the driving (no pun intended) factors?

Hi Greg - when you had the KW converted to 4x4, did they replace the front axle with something a bit more off-road-worthy? From what I can see, it comes stock with one of those upside-down axles that would really kill your clearance. Thanks - Jason
Standard front drive axle with clearance at the differential similar to the rear axle. Two speed transfer case. Goodyear G278 tires in the 425 size but you can go a size larger with the G278.

Good answer . Just not to the question I asked.. I am asking about you choice to switch from the MTV platform to a pickup truck platform.. what aspect of your experience with the MTV prompted this decision to switch platforms? What are the driving (no pun intended) factors?
We fell in love with Alaska and plan on spending 6 to 8 month a year here the rest of the time we are going to be traveling in Canada and the lower 48. So we needed a vehicle built around two seasons worth of gear vs four and that gets better fuel milage and is more fun to drive between the lower 48 and Alaska .