Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

voodoojk

Adventurer
via facebook...Clay Croft: Episode two will go live November 13, 2013, look for other media in between too!

October 30, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Willman

Kole is right. We did switch over to the General Tire this year. They came on as a sponsors and saved the day. We ran the AT2 without much problem. Actually all the tire problems we have in the season have nothing to do with the tire. Just wait you'll see. We are very happy with the tires performance and found that it handle the mud better than the BFG AT's. Im currently having a set studded for the winter. Pretty great tire!
For the SEMA Auto show you will see us with the Grabbers on there. We have only had them on the truck for a week but already Im (clay) pretty stoked on them. I think they could be a great tire in the mountains. We will see soon enough as its HUNTING SEASON!

Nic, I'm pretty sure that some point before this trip their sponsor changed from BFG to General Tire. I think they ran the General AT2 in AK.

Thanks Kole and Clay! Great information.

Great first season opener! Love the open carry feel!

Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

grimbo

Explorer
any reason why the OP is vague on the different stages? Unless it has to due with sponsors or lack there of...

Or do you think maybe it's because it's tied into the fact this is all about a seasons worth of footage and storylines

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Your guns,

That 870 sure looks like a tactical shotgun, a sure fire?? for bear's at night??? and the tricked out AR platform? what are you hunting with that short bbl. carbine anyway? 308 scout rifle for me, and 12 ga. coach gun w/3" OO buck and some slugs. If you can put rounds where they are supposed to go no need for high cap….. might be fun to play with those two but also might raise a few eyebrows too and any long gun that look's tactical, well forget about getting it into Canada. Oh another thing if a 4 or 2 legged predator is seeming to do harm, and you feel you need come out with a gun….. I would rather have lethal than non lethal rounds in the spout…. just saying, to each his own. If perchance you have one of the above predators threaten you and deem it necessary to get your gun(s) out…… let us know how you made out. You come out with a gun……. well you never threaten with a gun, you use it for it's intended purpose and it's not to make noise or shoot rubber round's.. again Just saying. mjmcdowell

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Skygear, Its a little of both. At that time of the post we did not know who our sponsors were going to be. So that said, what we did know was that the items in the posts are fairly staple items with multiple brands that provide them. We wanted to start the process of building the best truck that we could within our abilities through our show and personal knowledge. We can provide more details with the products that we actually did use. Many of them are to come in this thread. The Show at this time is occupying all of our man power so these updates will come slower than we would want but we have to focus. Thanks for your Question!
Clay-
any reason why the OP is vague on the different stages? Unless it has to due with sponsors or lack there of...

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
MJMCDowell, We like guns. I have a scout rifle and love it. Now back to trucks!:smiley_drive:

That 870 sure looks like a tactical shotgun, a sure fire?? for bear's at night??? and the tricked out AR platform? what are you hunting with that short bbl. carbine anyway? 308 scout rifle for me, and 12 ga. coach gun w/3" OO buck and some slugs. If you can put rounds where they are supposed to go no need for high cap….. might be fun to play with those two but also might raise a few eyebrows too and any long gun that look's tactical, well forget about getting it into Canada. Oh another thing if a 4 or 2 legged predator is seeming to do harm, and you feel you need come out with a gun….. I would rather have lethal than non lethal rounds in the spout…. just saying, to each his own. If perchance you have one of the above predators threaten you and deem it necessary to get your gun(s) out…… let us know how you made out. You come out with a gun……. well you never threaten with a gun, you use it for it's intended purpose and it's not to make noise or shoot rubber round's.. again Just saying. mjmcdowell

Hey Clay, or whoever posts for XO on ExPo,
I'm planning on running a sPod on my Tacoma as well, what's the brand of switch panel you used?

Thanks and loving the new series already!

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Indeed! Going back into the Original Post with the final products is a great idea. We will probably do that. Keep up the good work on your thread! It really is a ton of work!
Clay-
Appreciate the explanation, - Me, not having sponsors, or doing a show, have always made a similar OP (opening post) and then gone back and edited it with current gear and ideas.

My build is similar, but all out of pocket at little to no discount on the 2005 platform in a tacoma. Still working on the regear/lockers/35"s - working on some other innovative 'things' for out platform also. We offroad, ice climb, freedive, camp, hike, and other various activities. As the need (and money) has arose, we make the appropriate adjustments to our system. Hard to put so much into it when it is only 1 person doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94