Electric Chain Saw???

Alloy

Tried gas but the first time I was trail clearing a guy came up the trail said he could hear the chainsaw a mile away.

I don't want spectators so I've gone back to electric upgrading to a 18" EGO

Cleared 1 1/2 mile of double track yesterday using up 2 - 5Ah EGO batteries that are charged off the solar system.

At the end there was a campsite next to a stream. From the expiry date on the pop bottles left on the fire pit the site was last used in 2011.
20210904_105259.jpg20210904_112909.jpg20210904_113617.jpg20210904_120418.jpg20210904_123954.jpg

roving1

Tried gas but the first time I was trail clearing a guy came up the trail said he could hear the chainsaw a mile away.

I don't want spectators so I've gone back to electric upgrading to a 18" EGO

Cleared 1 1/2 mile of double track yesterday using up 2 - 5Ah EGO batteries that are charged off the solar system.

At the end there was a campsite next to a stream. From the expiry date on the pop bottles left on the fire pit the site was last used in 2011.

I can't wait to use my saw for this. I have turned around on so many trails due to deadfall I just didn't have the capability to clear in a timely manner. I always want to know what was at the end of the trail and if there is a campsite lying marooned and unused.

LuckyStudio13

What are the wattage that the battery charger requires for these chainsaws ? Trying to size an inverter in order to charge these chainsaw batteries. Are there any 12v charger for any of the battery powered chainsaws out here ?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What are the wattage that the battery charger requires for these chainsaws ? Trying to size an inverter in order to charge these chainsaw batteries. Are there any 12v charger for any of the battery powered chainsaws out here ?
Hard to make the electric juice go from 12v to 40v without a inverter?

clydeps

Hard to make the electric juice go from 12v to 40v without a inverter

It's actually pretty easy. Going from 12VDC to 40VDC isn't inversion (an inverter converts DC to AC.)

But, while there is no technical reason why a lithium powertool battery couldn't be charged from 12V with a DC-DC step up power supply, there are practical difficulties - e.g. charge control (does the battery have a built-in BMS or does the charger have to do that?) and the physical connection.

So homebrewing something would not be simple and from what I've seen there are few, if any, chargers available off the shelf for these kind of batteries that run off DC.

As far as what size inverter would be needed, as an example the EGO standard charger apparently draws about 200 watts and the fast charger something like 600. The standard charger would be a better choice for off-grid charging.

Alloy

I use the "upgraded" Ego charger. It draws 450-500 watts for approx 40min to charge one 5Ah battery.

You'll need a min 800w inverter if you use the upgraded charger. When I try the Ego charger on our 600w (also have 3000w) the fans in the charger don't come on.

PrdCdn

just saying;

VanWaLife

Are there any 12v charger for any of the battery powered chainsaws out here ?
I've been using Milwaukee's car charger with good success.
I've even verified I can charge a battery with my k-tor pedal charger. It's real slow, but it works.
Also having very good luck with the Milwaukee inverter around camp
And I've been testing their M18 power supply to power low current 12v gadgets like the Weboost. Pretty awesome. But if you exceed a few amps it wrecks the power supply (not the battery).
20211006_101253.jpg

Alloy

Started this tree with the Silky 650 ( 4th replacement blade in 2 years) but the blade kept binding.

Next day I brought the Ego 18" and two 5Ah batteries to try out. The saw just managed 3 (pcs was too heavy to move) cuts and could have made a 4th cut if the chain was brand new.

The 18" Ego has just the right amount of power. Cutting full depth each battery overheated and the chain jammed a few times but it never came close to kicking back. The single bolt bar and the plastic case mean it will have limited life. At 20lbs (saw + two 5Ah batteries) it is too heavy for a trail saw.

20211015_070728[1].jpg20211014_134820[1].jpg

• Wow
Reactions: WVI

Nailhead

I bought a Milwaukee M18 chainsaw primarily to bring camping inside one of the side boxes. After I saw how much B&C oil it leaked everywhere it went (I named it the Torrey Canyon), I sold it and bought a 20V DeWalt after checking with a buddy on how oil tight his was. So far so good: only the slightest smudge of oil where it sits in the side box.

That Milwaukee was a huge disappointment: it cut really well, but it would empty its oil reservoir wherever it was set down.

Reactions: WVI

Alloy

Thought I'd give the 18" Ego another chance with a new chain so I packed it (20lbs) up 3000ft for 2 hours. Both 5Ah batteries were dead after cutting (cutout rolled down to the right) this tree. The rest of the trees were cleared with the Silky 650. Next time I'm bringing a gas saw.

20211019_102332[1].jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94