El Burro - 1989 4Runner Build

TheCascadeKid

Observer
On Friday I accepted a new job offer in CA. On Saturday my rebuilt transmission arrived. Time to get the 4Runner back on the road so I have something to drive when I return to Seattle on weekends to visit the dog, GF (finishing up school in a couple months), and prep the house to rent out. The next two weeks are going to be busy!

Front End Coming Back Together

owyheerat

Adventurer
Congrats on the new job. Good luck.

Regarding your transmission, maybe I missed it, but why did you have to have it rebuilt? Any chance you had Marlin Crawler rebuild it? If not who did you use? I'm asking because mine is need of some TLC, and while I am comfortable turning wrenches on my rig, rebuilding a transmission is something I prefer to leave to the pro's.

Keep working at it and keep us posted. I can't wait for you to get this thing on the road...I mean trail.

Durwin

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Thanks, Rat. I'm not looking forward to the transition and being away from my garage, but I couldn't turn down the opportunity.

My rebuilt transmission is indeed from Marlin. Delivered 2 days before the quoted 9 weeks and it looks beautiful.

I decided to replace it because the input shaft felt "crunchy" in comparison to to the R150F kicking around my garage from the 3.4 donor . I'm no professional and didn't get a second opinion, but I didn't like what I was feeling and decided it was the time to do it with the transmission dropped already. Maybe overkill, but I'm closing in on having the majority of all moving components replaced and decided to pull the trigger. The rebuild is beautiful and the input shaft is butter smooth. This 4Runner better last forever :)

I continued working on the front end tonight and finished rebuilding some manual hubs I picked up years ago on CL.

Hubs

Last edited:

owyheerat

Adventurer
oh good to know. I'm leaning towards Marlin when I do have mine rebuilt. Thanks for the info.

Keep this thread updated...I always check in...

Smileyshaun

Observer
It may suck to have to wait for parts but on the up side its a bit of a blessing. It forced you to take care of some other wear items in the downtime that may have been pushed off but now are done and taken care of .

TheCascadeKid

Observer
@Smileyshaun it really is, and by getting half way through the front and back suspension rebuild I have to finish both before getting back on the road.

I made some good progress in the last couple days and have a few more lined up to work on it. The front suspension is re-assembled through the spindles, and I cleaned up my transfer case and bell housing for the re-built transmission. With a little luck I'll get to pull it out of the garage by this weekend.

Front End Re-Build

Bell Housing Clean Up

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Q4g3Ha]
[/url]

Reactions: bkg

TheCascadeKid

Observer
More slow and steady progress yesterday.
  • The hubs are re-assembled with new bearings, rotors and manual hubs.
  • New brake calipers, SS brake lines and hardware are just waiting for a bleed and pads.
  • New clutch (hopefully installed correctly), pressure plate and re-built transmission mated to the engine and crossmember.
Today I'll dig into finishing up the rear suspension overhaul. Biggest task left is to decide how I want to locate my shock mounts now that my springs are mounted via u-bolt flip kit.

New Bearings and Rotors

Front End Complete

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dLQetL]

Transmission and Transfer Case Going Up

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dRossx]
[/url][/url]

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Great work! I’m officially envious! What part of California are you relocating too? I recently bought an ‘89 with 3.0 so the 3.4 swap is in the back of my mind. I’m going to run what I’ve got until the 3.0 ganks, but with any luck I will have some time to get organized before it does.

Skitrash

Just picked up an 87 1st generation. I'm inspired by your dedication. I'm healing a torn Achilles tendon (#%$^*snowmobiles) so ski seasons over, time to start a project.

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Thanks, redthies. I would definitely say run it till the 3.0 shows signs of problems or you find you really need the power. I'm living in San Jose and really missing my garage. On the other hand I spend more time on the weekends doing the hobbies I love rather than cursing at bolts.

@Skitrash - really sorry to hear about the torn achilles. Hope it heals fast. I think you're on the right track with a good 4runner project to make the most of it. Share some pics!

Smileyshaun

Observer
one of the biggest issues with the 3.0 is the crossover tube , it runs way to close the the head and ends up cooking the #6 cyl. A set of headers or do a crossover relocation and it not only helps keep the HG alive but also helps the motor breath a little better .

owyheerat

Adventurer
@TheCascadeKid ,
How is the Marlin Crawler rebuilt tranny doing? How many miles do you have on it? Are you happy and would you recommend them?

Thanks and I hope your 4runner is running strong...

owyheerat

Adventurer
No worries. Yes, please post a review once you get it on the road. And good luck

4runner is running good. I've been so busy with work, I haven't had any time to get it on the trails. I'm hoping that changes soon.

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Boss told me to get lost for a week, so I booked it up to Seattle to ride bikes and work on the a 4Runner. I spent my first afternoon wrapping up a bunch of little items. Welded in rear shock mounts, installed new front brake pads, torsion bars, starter, slave cylinder, rear diff breather, and started torqueing it all down.

Rear Shock Mount

Transmission Up and In

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles