ejs262's Suburban(s?)!

ejs262

howdy folks! I recently picked up a 88 V10 Suburban, right now, it appears to be more or less, bone stock.

the important stuff:

L05 TBI 350 V8
700R4 Automatic
NP208 transfer case
8.5" 10 bolt front and rear differentials.

A Picture:

The short term plans:

Fix the rear main seal leak
maybe rebuild the 700r4
new tires
Drive to Alaska and back(Washinton) in the summer(done)
go to speed week in Bonneville, and back late summer.(cancelled due to work...)

The long term plans:

6.5 TD, or an LLY or LBZ swap
4L80E swap, or maybe an Allison
NP203/NP205 doubler
14 bolt full float with disc brakes
Air Suspension?
~4" lift(done)
~35" tires(went with 33's,)
Custom fabbed front and rear bumpers(Front is done, rear is in limbo)
on board air
and lots of on and off road time.

I'll post updates to this as I go, right now, the updates will be slow, but it should be a fun ride!

Last edited:

Ari3sgr3gg0

I've had a couple of those Suburbans, I recommend going through some factory wiring and fixing up the basics that happen with age to them. Man I miss mine now

ejs262

yeah, I already have to chase down a parasitic draw, but that's an easy enough once I find it. I'm not 100% sure this will be the duramax recipient, I know it's been in at least one significant wreck, but I'm not sure how bad the damage was. I may end up doing the alaska and bonneville trips in this one, and then buying one in slightly better shape to swap. it's a shame, because this one has almost no rust.

Ari3sgr3gg0

If you're set on diesel a 6.2 or 6.5 is the easiest swap you can do, when healthy they pull about the same as a stock 350. Difference is the mpg skyrockets with one of those in. If you got any questions on the 6.2 or 6.5 just let me know. Also on those square bodies it's super easy to get two batteries on passenger side then one on driver side. That makes a total of three batteries for starting, winching, deep cycle, etc. The CS130 alternator swap is also highly recommend while you're chasing wire issues

ejs262

the Detroit Diesel would have been considered more a few years ago, but at this point, I want more power, and I want it reliably. The Duramax is, in every way, a better engine than the 6.2/6.5, except that the 6.2 bolts in place, whereas the DMAX requires mounts.

none of the work for the DMAX is out of my comfort zone, my project car has taught me all the lessons I need to have first time success. the biggest key will be to find a proper donor truck to get the powertrain from, once that's done, the rest is easy for me!

I'll look into the CS130 alternator, I'm always down for a simple upgrade.

I'm working on plans for an external spare tire carrier, and maybe a jerry can rack for the back. I also think I could fab up a pretty ok roof rack with some neat features. the overall goal is to build something I can reasonably take just about anywhere. mild offroad adventure, hauling project cars/bikes to and from the track, epic road trips, ect.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
you should also recognize that the 6.2/6.5 is a globally used engine and parts for it are available anywhere and many are interchangeable with the 350.

i personally would rather run a well sorted 6.5T

ejs262

you should also recognize that the 6.2/6.5 is a globally used engine and parts for it are available anywhere and many are interchangeable with the 350.

i personally would rather run a well sorted 6.5T

That's fair. things I don't like about the 6.5
  • history of crankshaft failure.
  • requires the compression ratio to be lowered to reliably make power.
  • aftermarket parts availability is questionable
  • needs work to come close to stock duramax power levels
Things I like about the 6.5
  • simple, bolt in place of the stock 350
  • probably less expensive than a duramax

the lowest rated bone stock duramax makes 35 more hp and 20+ ft lbs, compared to the highest rated 6.5t, and probably has more area under the curve to boot, and the lowest rated duramax, is probably the hardest to find, as it only went into diesel vans, a more typical LBZ is up 100+ft lbs and hp compared to a typical 6.5t. I'm not opposed to a 6.5, but I think at this point in the game, I'd be happier with a DMAX.

off road design has a lot of parts to upgrade these solid axle squarebody trucks.

The do, I've been eyeing up alot of their parts for this truck.

ejs262

I was just looking at a Chevy one ton that had a 6.2 in it recently. Long story short, i found they've developed decent upgrades and fixes for some weak points that are pretty impressive. Made me rethink my own opinions on the viability of the engine.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1005dp-62-65-gm-diesel-engine-power-recipes/

That's all fine and good, but for $4000 I can get a donor truck and have a transmission, rear axle, wiring harness, ect, and make more power with a stock engine. I've done a fair bit of research on the 6.2/6.5, I'm not adamantly against them, I just think I can do better with a duramax.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I'm not saying to not do a Dmax swap. It's your ride. Problem with a Dmax in a square is packaging. GMT800 trucks where the Dmax came out in originally had a factory body lift combined with a taller cross section of the frame. It was needed to clear the exhaust downpipe and the size of the Allison transmission. Cramming all that into a square makes it a challenge. A body lift isn't that hard to pull off, but the rear exit of the downpipe of the turbo might require some alterations to the firewall.

I'm not a fan of the 6.2/6.5 engines for reasons already mentioned. An alternative to the oil burner would be an 8.1L big block. 455 ft/lbs of torque propels a Sub along quite well. Plus it fits like a 454 would have with stock engine mounts, exhaust and does not require a body lift or anything else crazy to complete. I've got one to go into mine to swap out the 5.3L LS engine I have in there now.

Charles R

Adventurer
I'm pretty much right there with zoomad. I've just never really found a simple swap to be simple. That doesn't mean I haven't done my share of them though! ;)

ejs262

this wouldn't be my first engine swap, I'm pretty comfortable with wiring and welding, all that being said, I'm also trying to make this a more streamlined process, so I'll buy a kit to make it happen easier.

https://precisionfabricationplus.com/shop?olsPage=products

I'll probably still wire it myself, and do my own exhaust. the plan was originally to do an 6.0 LS, but after driving my 06 2500hd(LQ4 6.0) across the country, I've decided I want a forced induction diesel. big blocks are ************, there is no denying that, but they suck down fuel like nobody's business my old 454 got <8MPG downhill with a tailwind empty...

I intend to do the minimum modifications required to fit a DMAX in the truck, and by that I mean the engine will be bone stock, to the max extent possible, it will be tuned to delete anti theft and BCM inputs, but that's about it. 300+ hp and 500+ft lbs will be more than adequate for what I need. I want the reliability of a stock truck, and maybe even be able to pass emissions. I'm not trying to build some prettyboy duramax with an 8" lift, 26" polished wheels, 1900 ftlbs and all of daddy's money! lol.

in other news, I'm hopefully picking up another front axle to start "building" so when the time comes, I can swap the front for 8 lug.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
It's one way of doing it. I deal with dirtymaxes daily at work. I won't be shy in saying I'm not a diesel guy. Can't deny the power and fuel economy, but there's a ton of extra complexity for the 300hp/500ft/lbs of torque target. The 8.1 makes 345hp and 455tq stock. Tune out torque management and burst knock retard and you are at the target. The only issue is you'll be getting 12-13mpg vs 20 in a diesel (no emissions garbage).

I'm also a keep it simple kind of guy too. So gas for me is the way to go. Dmax's into squarebodies is still in the minority of guys stuffing 12valve's into them though. I'm interested in yours though for that reason. I'll be following for sure if only to see how the other half gets it done.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd do the 8.1 swap in heart beat over a Dmax. It's easier, cheaper, and when things break it's cheaper then too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior