Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

KK6POV

Adventurer
I used the current screws, I was pleased to find that they machine screws not sheet metal screws.

toyoguy

Clearance when Operating FP-430 in a 3-Sided Enclosure?

Hi, new to the forum and saw the thread. (Late as usual) I am planning (all new) cabinets in a very tight space, in a 4x4 small RV redo. Started planning fridge slide racks, then I saw in the FP-430 manual the air-circulation req. specs of 2" on the side (exhaust) fan clearance and 4" to the rear (intake). I know most folks here are mounting as stand-alone, but hoped someone out there might comment on their experience running one of these in a tight cabinet and how well these boxes tolerate restricted space for cooling fans. ( I only want to build it once y'know,.... yeah, right) Am considering a small exhaust fan setup, above if necessary, or a small louver vent through the RV exteror wall (last choice). Thanks for any takers, great forum. TG

surly

surly adventurer
Made some brackets that replace the handle.

1182851310_MnPXn-L.jpg
I'd buy a pair of those from you!

WOODY2

Adventurer
NO POWER ON 12 VOLTS

My 80 qt works just fine on 110 but not on 12 volts checking power cord to see if 12 volts going thru cord. if so where do I turn, pull off side plate and see if 12 volt plug is connected?

Rockhounder

Explorer
I have the FP430, bought new a couple months ago, cools great with 12v power on while driving, have it hooked up to 2 deep cycle 12v marine/RV batteries, also with solar panels on roof that put out 45 watts/3.5 amps in direct sunlight (according to the charge controller), but the fridge consistently sucks so much power that by the next morning, my low volt alarm is ringing on the charge controller, and batteries drained to 11 volts... then the fridge does not cycle back on, so it eventually warms up to melting all the frozen stuff.

I am next going to install 2 more sets of panels on roof to make 130 watts/10 amps or so. Hopefully this takes care of the power drain, but my question to you all is : Is this amount of power usage normal? seems like others I know have no problems with their fridges staying frozen overnight.......

Any helpful info and advice most appreciated!

Rockhounder

Explorer
Hi Rockhounder,

With 2 deep cycle batteries you should be able to run 3 days on 2 full charged batteries. Do your batteries get any charging from any other source then the solar panels? I have the 80 qt. and only 1 engine starting battery for the vehicle. I do not have any problem with everything staying frozen for 2 days without starting the vehicle. No solar panels. Have you checked the batteries? You could have one bad battery draining the other battery.
they are both new deep cycle batteries. I called Koldfront service and they said that it draws 7 amps, so I guess that is why it is draining the batteries. Also, it being in a hot vehicle, in the summer probably means its working really hard (so cal, with 90 plus temps currently.)

The batteries check out good on a multimeter, but will check them on balance and see if there is a bigger issue. thanks

WOODY2

Adventurer
Hi Frenchie, i think our paths may have crossed a few times while you were here. Thanks for the info I'll try it later today. I follow your post about the old Farts travels and find them very interesting. Trying to get enough time off to join one of your jaunts. Cheers

Rockhounder

Explorer
My Koldfront 430 has another issue. When the voltage drops to about 11 volts, it shuts off to protect battery from drain, but then once voltage bumps back up I thought it was supposed to re-engage. It doesn't unless I unplug it and immediately re plug it in. I have the version of fridge that has the rotating thermostat knob, not the digital display version.

Anybody have issues like this, and has anybody developed a solution? The worst part is I can't trust the fridge to go back on if I am on an extended trip, and have to come back to the car after a couple days with everything melted.......

4x4junkie

Explorer
My Koldfront 430 has another issue. When the voltage drops to about 11 volts, it shuts off to protect battery from drain, but then once voltage bumps back up I thought it was supposed to re-engage. It doesn't unless I unplug it and immediately re plug it in. I have the version of fridge that has the rotating thermostat knob, not the digital display version.

Anybody have issues like this, and has anybody developed a solution? The worst part is I can't trust the fridge to go back on if I am on an extended trip, and have to come back to the car after a couple days with everything melted.......

It really sounds to me like your batteries are not getting enough charge (IIRC, the voltage needs to get up to around 12.5 before it turns back on).
If you're not charging the batteries from your alternator, then it would be prudent to do so so that you'll always have a fresh full charge on your batteries when you arrive at your destination (depending on their distance from your alt you'll need #0 - 2/0 AWG wire for it). As was said, that fridge should operate from paired deep-cycle batteries for at least 3 days straight in all but the most absurd conditions, usually much longer (if the sun is beating down on it inside your car, then you might think about putting a shade or something in the window, along with keeping the windows cracked. Additionally, painting that black Koldfront fridge a bright white I'm sure would also help it absorb much less radiant heat from it's surroundings, reducing the amount the compressor has to run).

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Rockhounder, have any specs on your batteries? You say two deep cycle batteries, but don't list an Amp-Hour rating, or even a size.

I can reliably run my FP430 on a single group34M (68AH) deep cycle AGM for at least a day and a half. With solar, I go much longer.

Rockhounder

Explorer
I will check and get back to you on this. I also want to do a current draw on the fridge, as when I hook it up directly to vehicle battery/alternator circuit, the engine loses rpm (alternator load)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke