Eco-Roamer - F650 based Expedition Vehicle

RR1

Explorer
i'd like to see that truck travel around the world for 3 years on only BIODIESEL. with such a cheeky sticker on the fuel tank, i sure hope they never put a single drop of dirty diesel in that truck.

good luck finding biodiesel every 750 miles.

Jay's sticker is true since dinosaurs weren't used to make crude oil, it was Diatoms which existed long before the first dinosaur ever gazed upon the world. Makes that sticker a moot point.

500x_ecoroamer_engine_03.jpg

Which if you think about it, dirty diesel is still "Bio" diesel since was formed by these diatoms. So technically speaking...

You can even say it is run off of Solar Power, because in essence crude oil is stored solar energy. Probably not what Jay is going for, but people like you and me can say our vehicles are fueled by "Bio" fuel which was formed by the Earth naturally.

GASFORMATION.gif

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

mudspace.com rep
you just made my last 2 or 3 hours VERY interesting.

i loved it,if i had the money id do a copy,downsized to one person of course.

im just getting into the expedition scene,coming from rock crawling and trails.
hope to see you at another camp in the UP some day,thats probably where ill do my first expedition offroad adventure at.

Ned B

Jay,
awesome machine you've built there, I admire your ability to plan and execute said plan. I even like the dino sticker, and for dealing with the nay-sayers:
illigitimi non carborundum!

Safe travels, and have fun with the home schooling!

dzzz

Why oh why does it even matter to you what they do or don't do?
I mean to say that honestly your comments do nothing to add value, educate or stimulate. They are meant to somehow knock Jay & Family down and I am not sure why you would want to be that kind of man.

Otherwise please follow the age old saying and "if you have nothing nice to say please don't say anything at all".....oh and I have to comment on your comments as a moderator otherwise I would follow my own advice :)

Ironic

As far as fuel usage, it really should be fuel usage per person. Ecoroamer wouldn't be far off the typical expo vehicle with two people.

As far as criticism of the ecoroamer "spin", it's completely valid. We vehicle travelers use resources in the top tiny percentage of the population.
Driving around in a huge vehicle and pooping in peat moss doesn't change that fact. This type of fake ecological awareness needs to be challenged. If there's any hope for real change it involves facing reality.
I'm not critical of Jay building a family camper. That would be entirely hypocritical on my part.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Desert Fun

Hi Guys,

Hope everybody had a great time at the Overland Expo. It was really fantastic to meet so many of you in person. It's one thing to spend endless nights exchanging posts on the forum, but to be able to actually sit with so many of you and compare notes on the EcoRoamer and hear about your own projects was amazing. Thanks.

I know I'm way behind on answering a lot of the questions that came in over the past couple of weeks. I promise I'll post responses to all of those. In the mean time I thought I'd share with you some photos from our couple of days in the Arizona desert with Duncan Barbour and Graham Jackson from Overland Training.

Having now done it, I STRONGLY recommend everybody do the Overland Certification course. We went in to it slightly nervous. We've offroaded for years in our Jeep and Land Cruiser, and felt we were pretty well versed in whinching, etc. We also have overlanded internationally, and knew our way around a Carnet.

But... in fact, we learned a LOT. Duncan and Graham both have amazing levels of experience, that they share humbly. They recognized our experience and tailored the course to match. Overall, it was well worth doing. We now have a very good sense of what the EcoRoamer can do on the trails, and more importantly, what it CAN'T do. Very important lessons.

I'm working on editing a video, but here's some of the highlight photos:

Descending into the Table Mesa valley north of Phoenix. We dropped the Adventure Trailer for most of the fun. It's still available FREE, if you're interested...
4556305140_3612f3e0c7.jpg

Playing in the rocks of our 'Arizona wadi' - for size reference, remember those tires are 46"
4549614307_ac31d36678.jpg

Alice feeding the winch line back in.
4549638375_b4d4067dd3.jpg

Playing "slide slopey" - you don't want to go much past 20 degrees...
4550147446_0f433591cb.jpg

Playing in the sand dunes - great floatation considering the truck weighs 34,000lbs!
4549256431_c863d92048.jpg

Airing back up takes a while with 445's we took them down to 35psi from 120psi - They worked Great!
4556306654_3820dafbbd.jpg

...and the beauty shot:
4550529438_a374e2d5b6.jpg

Travel safe!
Cheers,
Jay.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Very cool Jay! It's fun to see a "large" rig out playing. The more you do in school the safer you'll be out "there". Looking forward to more photos and videos.
Chas

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
everybody done complainin about the diesel yet? it is LOW SULFER...(and causes diesels to loose roughly 18-20% of their power and fuel economy...hows that for eco-friendly?)

anyway...

the composting toilet...how well does it work?
how long between changes/dumps?

love the build..love your attitude:luxhello:

ckkone

Explorer
Haven't looked at this thread in a long time. Nice to see the rig done and out there exploring! I'm heading back to Malaysia in March and noticed your sig line says the cruiser is still available for loan (for some reason I had thought you sold it?). I know its a long way off, but I'd really like to take it out for a short trip. LMK and we can talk about it more as it gets closer to March.

durango_60

Explorer
Pretty sure I saw you rolling down Main in Durango yesterday, I almost hung up on my biggest client and chased you down the street but prudence took hold.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
New YouTube video!

Hi Guys,

Hope you're all doing well. It's great to start bumping in to some of you on the road. We had a great time in Prescott, and yes that was us in Durango. We actually liked Durango until a meter maid (officer Moore) decided to give us a purely frivolous parking ticket despite the fact that we still had time left on the two meters we fed, and her colleague had given us permission to park there. Oh well, so much for welcoming tourists to Durango with open arms.

Before that though, we had a fantastic time out in the desert with Graham and Duncan from Overland Training. I already posted up some pics, but now I have edited together some of the video footage of the EcoRoamer playing in the rocks & sand. Check it out here:

www.bit.ly/overland-training

(my apologies in advance if that YouTube link doesn't work, I'm posting this on my iPhone)

we are now in Boulder, Colorado doing the 2 week Wilderness First Responder course from Remote Medical International. (full disclosure - RMI were one of the founding sponsors of the Muskoka Foundation and have offered a fantastic discount for any overlander who volunteers for one of our projects)

The course has been FANTASTIC. Alice and I have both taken first aid and CPR courses before, but nothing like this. We're really going through all the forms of trauma, and learning how to treat them in the wilderness. Now that I've done it, I can honestly say that every RTW or extended expedition should start with the wilderness first responder course. It's that good.

Anyhow, enjoy the video! We're off to Washington State and Vancouver after this. Then, Alaska in August.

Cheers,
jay.

PS - Chris (and all) yes - our land cruiser is still in Johor, Malaysia and still in my possession. Though we've not sat in it in 3 hrs (SHAME!) - if you're interested in using it, you are most welcome. We can call and get it serviced for your arrival.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior