Earthroamer For Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucilius

ER's usually have about 90 gallons of fresh water (fyi: in a single tank on the pax side just in front of the right rear wheel. It's in a well-protected position, well insulated with about an inch of solid foam board insulation and has a large DC heat pad that clicks on at ~40F and lower to prevent freezing..there is/was a vid on utube showing it off) mounted at the chassis level to keep COG low: pretty standard stuff IMO.
I agree with 2deg above: radiators and the Espar hydronic system are pretty foolproof as well and there's no mystery in running reinforced radiator hose in a circuit to a domestic hot water tank and back to the engine, plenty of campers do this: his truck should have had a manual or solenoid valve that would keep the coolant cycle limited to the engine. Then the only thing needed is competence. Espars and Webastos are in common use throughout northern US/Canada and Europe on all sorts of rigs but I could see a new owner either being rushed and just driving off with a new (used) vehicle, not being told about the system and/or not familiarizing himself with it and failing to notice a leak, especially someone from a warm climate (do people in Tampa even need hot water?).
One would think standard OEM Ford engine warning lights would indicate high temps and/or low coolant and any basically competent driver would simply pull over to check things out. Pixelwix might want to remedy this situation with a clarification, mea culpa, etc.
Right now the situation appears melodramatic and embarrassing at best and at worst to be spreading incomplete/inaccurate information and following that with an unsophisticated (for a software and simulations guru) deleted posts coverup...but to each his own and best of luck.
I would think worst case, this rig would need a new hot water tank and some engine work or maybe in an extreme case, a new engine.
(and no, the Ford 6.4 does NOT have to have the cab removed for work or engine replacement, it just makes things a helluva lot easier, it's a good engine....cough, cough, cummins 5.9 still better though IMO...the 6.4 lacks DEF system, simplifying things, and pretty solid if you get a little emissions work done and stay on top of maintenance but most new diesels take the "10lbs in a 5lbs bag" approach and no, none of them are really ideal for international travel in lands with less refined diesel, get a 7.3 or 5.9 or something foreign and in most cases get used to a bit of noise, smoke and going slow and enjoying the sights)
That sounds expensive (maybe $20-25k?) but when you consider the price of this vehicle when new, ~$250k, we're talking 8-10% of that, not a big deal. Kind of like having 3 or 4 grand of work done on a $40k toyota truck, so roughly equivalent to parts/labor for an OME 2.5 springs/shocks lift and UCA's or throwing on a decent RTT and some other overland kit. As for me, I don't really get folks who'll pay 60mil for a private jet and 30mil for a place to live in a city, etc., but since there's too much fun to be had elsewhere, I'm not going to opine about folks making choices about what they do with their money. Hopefully Pixelwix will get this situation and his truck reparied and be able to enjoy it on some trips or at least sell it to someone who will. If nothing else, please someone get it fixed and find a guy/gal with at least average driving ability and please, please answer the one holy grail of ER questions: with that sweet Kelderman suspension, manly MPT81 tires and brutish 700ftlbs of patriotic Ford goodness churning away, can it surmount the supreme challenge of crossing a wet, grassy field? (kidding, ER-people....just kidding).

chris lofgren

It would take a long time to get dehydrated with that much fresh water...….and why wouldn't there be water in the tank? just asking, I'm sure it could happen.
I am seriously interested in what took place with the two quick sales and purchases involving ER.

Thanks for posting to include us.......

180out

I bought a used GXV from halfway across these united states. flew out, checked it out, and drove away. great experience with a great private party seller. love the rig and all of the little fun things that come with buying a well used and well cared for vehicle. I would hope that stories like this would not deter anyone from buying a used rig. there are a lot of good people out there selling great trucks.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Wish I would have read this before everyone deleted their posts.

Sounds like buyers remorse when an 11 year old 110,000 mile vehicle has a problem (gasp!)

One. Stinking. Problem.

Let me see if I have this straight.
Engine overheated due to leak in tank.

Put your big boy pants on and fix it. Did you not think an old girl like this might break?

You don’t have your title yet.

Titles take time. Possibly ER getting it, then first owner getting one, then being transferred to second owner.

Such ridiculousness.

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Always felt that deleting posts/threads was kinda weak, especially where a lot has been written.
Still hope this guy finds a positive resolution though.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Wow. That was anticlimactic. Buyer's remorse that he bought a lemon. All sorts of dead end comments. EP should ban the delete function like other forums. This thread is a mess IMHO.

Lesson: do your due diligence. Oh and stay away from the Ford 6.4. also known as a Navistar Maxxforce 7. That engine has destroyed more trucking and fleet businesses than any other engine in history. Search "Maxxforce 7 Class Action Lawsuit". There's a reason it was in only 3 model years for Ford. The resale market for these years has tanked because the secret is out. On the bright side the Maxxforce disaster forced Ford to engineer its own Powerstroke which has been a great truck engine.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
The problem with this thread is the lack of diplomacy from fellow overlanders and a blatant desire to be banned from these forums for not adhering to the terms of use that everyone agrees to when they sign up. There are several here (and I won't name you by name as you know who you are) who should have decided against being keyboard cowboys and just kept their mouths shut. I'm locking this thread and placing a warning on anyone making a derogatory comment. Second strike and you'll be out. We use the Golden Rule here and we go by a Gentleman's code. [End Admin Rant]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles