Driving a 30’ Box Truck Over Engineer Pass, in an attempt to prove SWB 4x4 drivetrains aren’t really needed....

krick3tt

Adventurer
Probably. Figuring it would take more than 49 people to push through the whole of the route it might have been a good idea to have them along.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Did it on two wheels this summer with rain and snow which got freaky going up the narrows....can't even imagine taking a clapped-out old Penske truck up it!
CA0CBF9D-7E8D-4D5E-A3E6-FB7EF04A0FC3.jpeg

Last edited:

Axelwik

A few months ago I was camped at the Amphitheater Campground above Ouray and some idiot drove his tractor-trailer rig up there - took about 8 hours to get him turned around. Although paved, the road is narrow with switchbacks and a clearly marked bridge that can't take the weight of a truck like that. They should do IQ tests for big rig drivers.

86scotty

Explorer
A few months ago I was camped at the Amphitheater Campground above Ouray and some idiot drove his tractor-trailer rig up there - took about 8 hours to get him turned around. Although paved, the road is narrow with switchbacks and a clearly marked bridge that can't take the weight of a truck like that. They should do IQ tests for big rig drivers.
Bad news.

FrenchieXJ

Expedition Leader
This is probably true. "They should do IQ tests for big rig drivers."

We were not the one driving the truck, we do not know what people are thinking. We are on the cusp of having computers do everything for us. Things like driving our vehicles for us. Have you ever had a hardware or software problem with a computer? If you think that driving is bad now, I think it will get very exciting in the years to come. We see now what people do when they follow their GPS's. I have GPS's, but I still carry paper maps.
Example; you out driving and your computer crashes that is operating you vehicle. You smile at your face nonrecognition camera in your vehicle and smiles back at you. It does not start, your stuck! Not going anywhere! If you only knew how to drive this vehicle you could get to your destination. :unsure: :confused:

I am not putting anyone down I am just trying to let people see the other side of the coin.

Life is short, so sit back and enjoy the ride. None of us are getting out of this world alive. Except some maybe some astronauts. :giggle:

Da Frenchman