Driven To Wander - Vancouver to Patagonia

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
One of the most extreme, most beautiful, otherworldly terrain in all of South America if not Earth. The harsh beauty and desolateness of Salar de Uyuni is absolutely amazing.

Follow us at :
Facebook/driventowander
Instagram.com/driventowander
www.DrivenToWander.com

30984140507_2a35c5c3a2_o.jpg

44106909390_87d6bdae91_o.jpg

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Bolivia's Laguna Route! Averaging 10 miles/hour, it took us 4 days to cross ~200 miles. This road is a brutal assault on any vehicle. Soft, dusty, foot deep wash-board at 15,000 ft (4500 m) altitude. -10 F (-23 C) at night, icy winds are a common phenomenon here even in daytime. Some of the lakes can be as low as -68 F (-56 C) and still remain liquid state because of their chemical composition. While the colors, sights and geography pleases, wind, cold and the road punishes.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...RC8dkMLJmHA3Ig9vgY5seBArAhaCKjgzzTKnsFpPBLVxi
45317233285_19699fae87_o.jpg

31291254157_200211e96d_o.jpg

31291253637_562cc62a86_o.jpg

32357710168_09c7ee3e19_o.jpg

45506231264_d81dae552a_o.jpg

46179387272_7467608b88_o.jpg

45317233845_36eb4a094f_o.jpg

46179387412_a76c618f15_o.jpg

45317234355_6b64fc871f_o.jpg

nyle

Kudos for driving the lagunas route! The 9 days we were on it, we only saw 1 overlander [I get the feeling many others we met on either side had the fear].

NYON

Hi!! Have been following your travels and entire thread. Awesome photos and writeups!! Day dreaming about a route like yours has definitely happened more than once!! :) Had some questions about day-to-day life on the trip...If I remember right the Hallmark camper had a shower facility. Was wondering if the shower facility was used often in the camper or if many of the campsites you used had decent showers so you ended up using those instead. Was also wondering if use of the shower caused any undue condensation in the camper? Or if there were reasons other than condensation that kept you from using the shower (like conservation of fresh water or fuel to heat the water). Sorry about these rather mundane questions...any thoughts about your experience with the shower in the camper and on the road would be great!!

Seems like having a shower is great for long term trips but are sometimes a compromise in campers where space/water/and heat are in limited supply. Would be great to hear about your experience!!

Best wishes in the new year!!

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Hi!! Have been following your travels and entire thread. Awesome photos and writeups!! Day dreaming about a route like yours has definitely happened more than once!! :) Had some questions about day-to-day life on the trip...If I remember right the Hallmark camper had a shower facility. Was wondering if the shower facility was used often in the camper or if many of the campsites you used had decent showers so you ended up using those instead. Was also wondering if use of the shower caused any undue condensation in the camper? Or if there were reasons other than condensation that kept you from using the shower (like conservation of fresh water or fuel to heat the water). Sorry about these rather mundane questions...any thoughts about your experience with the shower in the camper and on the road would be great!!

Seems like having a shower is great for long term trips but are sometimes a compromise in campers where space/water/and heat are in limited supply. Would be great to hear about your experience!!

Best wishes in the new year!!

Hi Nyon,

Happy new year. Thanks for your kind words. Our Hallmark does not have wet bath option. We do have hot water outside shower and we used it not more than handful of times. I opted out of the wet bath because of several reasons. It condenses the living space in the camper, it raises the floor several inches thus raises the center of gravity and finally did not want to deal with condensation. We have been on the road almost 2.5 years and I have no regrets. Finding a shower has not been a problem. Most campsites have some sort of shower, although finding a great shower with really hot water and water pressure is a treat. When we wild camp, and we do as much as we can, we manage by using the hot water and wash clothes. Even if we had a bath inside, while we are wild camping water is precious, I would not want to waste it by taking showers. Sometimes we get lucky and find a hot spring pool with a view in a freezing weather.

46546774332_d0d98ba592_b.jpg

NYON

Hi Nyon,

Happy new year. Thanks for your kind words. Our Hallmark does not have wet bath option. We do have hot water outside shower and we used it not more than handful of times. I opted out of the wet bath because of several reasons. It condenses the living space in the camper, it raises the floor several inches thus raises the center of gravity and finally did not want to deal with condensation. We have been on the road almost 2.5 years and I have no regrets. Finding a shower has not been a problem. Most campsites have some sort of shower, although finding a great shower with really hot water and water pressure is a treat. When we wild camp, and we do as much as we can, we manage by using the hot water and wash clothes. Even if we had a bath inside, while we are wild camping water is precious, I would not want to waste it by taking showers. Sometimes we get lucky and find a hot spring pool with a view in a freezing weather.

46546774332_d0d98ba592_b.jpg

Hi, thanks for the reply and sharing your experience! Agreed, water and space are definitely at a premium in truck campers and is good to hear that a dedicated shower may not be necessary. It's always great to hear from practical experience!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste