Drive to Arctic Circle in “high miles” 4th Gen 4Runner

tlrols

Here is a link to a three part article I wrote for TCT Magazine of my 1918 Arctic Circle trip in a 1985 FJ60. I hope for find this informative.
One thing to keep in mind, can you afford to be broke down for a week? Get a tow , wait in a hotel while waiting for parts ?

I can manage being broke down and being out of sorts for a couple of weeks. Not desirable obviously. Hence the ask on what preventative steps to take. New plugs, etc are on the list. The ferry ride knocks off a chunk of driving so that helps. I am rolling on LT KO2’s with a C rating. I run E rated Cooper ST Maxx on my 3rd Gen 4Runner which I love. My guess is the KO2 will do will enough. Not a huge fan of those tires honestly but that’s a wet and slush issue mostly.

tlrols

I can manage being broke down and being out of sorts for a couple of weeks. Not desirable obviously. Hence the ask on what preventative steps to take. New plugs, etc are on the list. The ferry ride knocks off a chunk of driving so that helps. I am rolling on LT KO2’s with a C rating. I run E rated Cooper ST Maxx on my 3rd Gen 4Runner which I love. My guess is the KO2 will do well enough. Not a huge fan of those tires honestly but that’s a wet and slush issue mostly.

Great story of your journey! We will skip going to Prudhoe Bay but absent that your adventure is about what we will attempt to do. Should be epic!

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Sounds like you’ll be in Canada? People who do this in Alaska on the Dalton Hwy generally suggest heavy duty LT tires and taking no less than two full-size spares. I would make sure you have tools and emergency gear. It’s certainly doable; you just need to be prepared. I’d start researching others’ trips and what they prepared for.

Good luck. Sounds like an awesome trip.

I was hoping someone would comment on this. Is two full-size spares necessary? One I get but two makes it seem like you're guaranteed to get at least one flat.

A multitude of articles about travel along many of the Arctic access routes, both summer and winter, along with a few videos. They have been doing the Alcan 5000 since 1984, runs every 2 years, alternating between summer and winter. TSD rally so no high speed stuff (officially..). The last winter rally was won by a 1976 Mercury Capri.

NMBruce

Adventurer
You will love this trip.

I did this trip in 2018 in a 2006 GX470 with about 130K miles on it.
1) heads up, the ferries across the rivers you need to cross, might not be operating until mid June or later. You can check with the Canadian government about the ferries. https://www.inuvik.ca/en/discovering-inuvik/Dempster-Highway.asp. there is a link to Ferries.
2) I would run "E" rate tires. I have done the Alaskan highway 3 times, first was with a 1983 Mercury Wagon, with one spare, no problems, not even a window chip and back then the Alaskan & Top Of The World highway wasn't all paved. Second trip, 2014 with a Jeep JKUR and off road trailer with "E" rated tires, one spare and no problems, extra gas needed. 2018 trip with the GX and same off road trailer with Cooper STMaxx 2 spares (trailer tires where not the best) and no problems. But my friend in a brand new JLUR with K02 had a tire sidewall blow out on the Dempster highway, it was Fairbanks before he could get a replacement. I dont believe 2 extra tires are need, if you have good E rated tires with 60% or more tread life.
3) Bring extra fuel, maybe 10 gals. Fuel should be available along the way, but one trip a station was closed and the 10 gals where required to get to the next station.
4) Get a HAM radio, encase something happens
5) Stock up on Food, water and stuff in Whitehorse, you can get stuff in other towns like Inuvik, but it will cost you. Most Canadian campgrounds I stayed at, had water, I carried an extra 10 gals.
6) Get the MilePost https://themilepost.com/. there is some good information in it
7) I also carried on tools, really didn't know what parts to bring. I also had extra tied down straps and rope, I ended up needing the straps and my trailer has a suspension problem.

Attachments

• IMG_6660.JPG
    IMG_6660.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 277 Dalton Highway 22.JPG
    277 Dalton Highway 22.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

crazysccrmd

Observer
I was hoping someone would comment on this. Is two full-size spares necessary? One I get but two makes it seem like you're guaranteed to get at least one flat.

It’s hugely exaggerated. I have never had a flat, cracked radiator or shattered windshield which the internet claims to be common on those roads.

alanymarce

We drove to Tuktoyaktuk (and back) last year.

Tuk is the goal. ...

It’s the Dempster highway which isn’t awful but it’s hundreds of miles of washboard roads. Best get my fillings checked!
It's not that bad in terms of corrugations - most of it is in good shape. The new road from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk is good, although the gravel is loose so take care in terms of lateral control.
Over the last decade+ we've carried one spare most of the time; in the Americas we've never needed a second, in Australia we added a second based on WA government advice but never needed more than one, in Africa we didn't even need one spare (although we had two). So, for the Canada trip we carried one spare. We didn't need it - we did have two punctures on the Dempster (there's a section about 50-100 km north of Eagle Plains with razor-sharp stones on the surface - we fixed 6 punctures one day - 5 on other vehicles, 1 on ours), however never used our spare. You don't need 2 spares, as long as you have the kit and skills to fix punctures.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.

It's not that bad in terms of corrugations - most of it is in good shape. The new road from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk is good, although the gravel is loose so take care in terms of lateral control.

Over the last decade+ we've carried one spare most of the time; in the Americas we've never needed a second, in Australia we added a second based on WA government advice but never needed more than one, in Africa we didn't even need one spare (although we had two). So, for the Canada trip we carried one spare. We didn't need it - we did have two punctures on the Dempster (there's a section about 50-100 km north of Eagle Plains with razor-sharp stones on the surface - we fixed 6 punctures one day - 5 on other vehicles, 1 on ours), however never used our spare. You don't need 2 spares, as long as you have the kit and skills to fix punctures.
What puncture repair kit do you like?

alanymarce

What puncture repair kit do you like?
The one in the vehicle in Canada was bought from Canadian Tyre (I'm at home now so can't have a look but I think it's the Victor kit. It's a good plan to buy a lot of extra "jerky" (you may end up helping repair tyres on other vehicles).

The other question is what compressor to have - if only doing repairs a small one is adequate, however if airing down/up frequently a higher capacity unit is worth the extra cost (and weight). We have an AC-PRO Air 150 in Canada and an AP Everyday C36A-54 at home (this is the small one - when next we set out on a trip during which we may need the bigger one we'll bring it back from Canada).

kpredator

Adventurer
Google
Annan bear observatory.
Tracey arm fjiord tour
With adventure bound.
Salmon glacier.
Fish creek wildlife observatory

skagway is very touristy
Haines has some great campgrounds at
The parks, bears at the fish weir.

top of the world highway is very scenic.

your in for a good trip
Have fun

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city

This is a lot of good experience here.

Arktikos

Explorer
Either Haines or Skagway will work. Not sure which one is less miles without checking but they're not significantly different. I also prefer Haines. It's much less touristy for starters, and the Haines highway is even more scenic than the Klondike.
I would take the Dempster slowly, not be in a hurry, and would not hesitate to do it in your rig if it's been maintained adequately. I've never owned a vehicle so new as your 4Runner!

JMacs

Observer
Drove from Iowa to above the Arctic circle in 1990. Went up the Dalton highway right after it was opened to the public. Needed the spare. But only one. Needed to visit the dentist after to replace a filling or two that shook lose.

The Milepost NMBruce mentioned is a great resource. Strongly recommend getting a paper copy and keeping it with you.

Have fun. Meet people. Stop often and look around.

Here is my trip report.
Iowa to Alaska and back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles