Dont Call it a Build Thread

howirolla

Campfire Passport
so two weekends ago a buddy and I did route 6 of the obdr. It was pretty awesome. We were the first to plow through a solid 18” of snow for many miles. I'll try and post some pictures soon.

In other news, I have been attempting to upgrade my tires in recent days. I found a set of 17” Wheels to use. I want to move to 17s so that I can upgrade my brakes down the road. I thought that I had found a real nice set of used 315/70's for them. Went to mount them and every single tire had a sidewall puncture. It was almost like they had been slashed by someone and that's why they were selling them. I really lucked out though, I got a hold of the guy that I bought them from, apparently he got them in trade for some electrical work he did so he didn't have any clue about them other than that they had a ton of tread left and he told me he would make it right, so I was able to get my money back. So I'm back to square 2 in search of tires, I need to find something before the snow hits cause my current tires are pretty well done. Been looking at some new tires as well, and finding that 37s are about the same price or just slightly more and I am becoming very tempted to step into the larger size, but I am kind of dreading the idea of 37s due to the fact I haven't re-geared yet. Anyone have experience with 37s on the stock 2.5 gears?

Last edited:

mudraider

Adventurer
so two weekends ago a buddy and I did route 6 of the obdr. It was pretty awesome. We were the first to plow through a solid 18” of snow for many miles. I’ll try and post some pictures soon.

In other news, I have been attempting to upgrade my tires in recent days. I found a set of 17” Wheels to use. I want to move to 17s so that I can upgrade my brakes down the road. I thought that I had found a real nice set of used 315/70’s for them. Went to mount them and every single tire had a sidewall puncture. It was almost like they had been slashed by someone and that’s why they were selling them. I really lucked out though, I got a hold of the guy that I bought them from, apparently he got them in trade for some electrical work he did so he didn’t have any clue about them other than that they had a ton of tread left and he told me he would make it right, so I was able to get my money back. So I’m back to square 2 in search of tires, I need to find something before the snow hits cause my current tires are pretty well done. Been looking at some new tires as well, and finding that 37s are about the same price or just slightly more and I am becoming very tempted to step into the larger size, but I am kind of dreading the idea of 37s due to the fact I haven’t re-geared yet. Anyone have experience with 37s on the stock 2.5 gears?
37's with the 4.2 gearing? That sounds like punishment. Good way to move up the priority of the 4.90 swap though

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

howirolla

Campfire Passport
I haven't really felt it being too horrible on the stock gears with 35s, but I also moved from a disco2 on 33s to this and it's always felt like it's had more power there than the disco did.
Matter fact, I noticed more power issue/loss/change after modifying my intake to fit my second battery than I did moving up to 35s.
I've been trying to find an SR with a locker for my dad, I told him I would help him out with it if I can swap gears with him since he isn't going to want anything more than 33s anyway, prolly more likely just 31s. So that would be nice, just trying to keep my options open tire wise.

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Took it out for some deeper snow so the kids could do some sledding yesterday. Was a good chance to test out the used duratracs I found to put on a set of 17s I got a while back.
2FBAE7B5-B6E8-4194-BE4C-CE2D783948B6.jpeg

Last edited:

howirolla

Campfire Passport
4461D6BC-2B7E-41E4-B997-757639687B1B.jpeg

Waiting on a few things to arrive in the mail to finish up my dual battery setup. While waiting I re-located the heated seat switches to the top of the center console, also moved the locker switch to one of the switch blank spots on the dash. Also going to get my CB mounted and wired up soon.

58CB6AB0-044A-4084-B4F8-74F2DC9C55FA.jpeg

Last edited:

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Decided to get started on a better storage solution. Formally had just a simple platform and a large tub under it. It worked for the year but it left me wanting more and missing what I had in my previous rig.
013A4FBC-0215-4351-B98C-579C31653FB3.jpeg
Need to grab a handle for the drawer and some hooks to anchor it down.
I haven’t decided what I’m going to cover it with yet though, stain, paint, sub box carpet... got some thinking to do.

Last edited:

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Weekend of April 20th we made our annual first trip of the season for my buddies birthday.
Dunes, desert playa, camping, lots of gravel and dirt, just an over all great weekend. And for the first time, I wasn’t the only montero in attendance!
F5C0E664-BE18-4F67-BF01-87E7112C912B.jpeg
A6D1AC31-AEA6-41A7-BB03-57E09015F13F.jpeg
GPS confirmed top speed of 86mph (fully loaded, 2 adults, 2 kids, one dog, stock gears, 35s)
4CB32EA2-FBBD-4974-BBB1-96ED771AB784.jpeg

Last edited:

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Hey guys, it’s been a minute since I was last on here. So I’ll provide some updates.

Memorial Day weekend we did some camping with another family

FA350E87-7797-4EC8-9CE1-82CC455EBB51.jpeg

A few weeks later we had to make an emergency run to Moab, my wife’s grandfather was in a bad state and sadly we needed to get there to say our goodbyes and not enjoy the area like we normally would, but we did manage to get out a little bit.

ED2A3292-FAFC-47C2-B350-655A7537DDB0.jpeg
DC2FDC99-4366-4876-B033-6C11794885B3.jpeg

A little while after returning from that a small group of us went on an off hwy adventure from our central Oregon location to the coast, something myself and a friend did last year but it was so late in the season (read 18”+ of snow) that we wanted to do it with a little friendlier weather this time round.

58E56F25-88AE-4D1D-8458-DE9B63A22E81.jpeg

I had a friendly stick impale one of my tires along the way

7128A46F-346B-4AF8-950D-A8026EF1AF27.jpeg

But we still made it out and back

FE620081-7E4B-451A-B7A4-C4A115A85DAE.jpeg

I ended up caving and getting a new set of tires shortly there after. Went with the general atx in a 35x12.5x17

Next up was a buddies bachelor party, we got a good group of us together and did the Barlow road, this was my view from our camp the night prior to hitting the trail

B9EFFA6F-BF2D-4A28-B89D-96402413B754.jpeg

After that we had a wedding near Elko to attend, so it only made sense to camp on the way there, and back.

53E6EDCB-E52E-45DA-979D-5C48E0CBFFD0.jpeg

We’ve had a couple little outings here and there kinda sprinkled in, but those are the highlights thus far I think. It’s basically turned out to be a summer of heavy use rather than a summer of building the monty more, considering after I built the new storage platform/drawer the only thing I’ve done was oil changes, a forced tire upgrade, some front brakes a couple weeks ago, and as seen in that last picture I built a small rack over the spare tire.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior