DONE! Building a battery box

john61ct

Adventurer
sometimes perfect is the enemy of good

I like APP as a default standard, need a strong reason to depart from that.

plain bullets? robust enough to pull by the wire if needed. But too easy IMO to reverse polarity.

Photobug

sometimes perfect is the enemy of good

I like APP as a default standard, need a strong reason to depart from that.

Good enough is my aim.

I can see the cigg outlets being non secure, on all my boat wiring projects I have replaced the old corroded ones with Blue Sky marine grade ones, and never had a problem. I already have a number of my electrical items wired with cigg plugs. If things like low wattage 1.2A LED lights and light duty air pumps are wired to a cigg outlets does that pose a significant danger?

What is APP, Anderson Power Pole? Is this the equivalent of the APP in a 1 1/8" form?
https://powerwerx.com/panelpole-panel-mount-powerpole-housing
If so I would totally go with that. My bias against Anderson was the big bulky external plugs. If those were kosher I would use those in my upcoming build.

john61ct

Adventurer
Good enough is my aim.

I can see the cigg outlets being non secure, on all my boat wiring projects I have replaced the old corroded ones with Blue Sky marine grade ones, and never had a problem. I already have a number of my electrical items wired with cigg plugs. If things like low wattage 1.2A LED lights and light duty air pumps are wired to a cigg outlets does that pose a significant danger?

What is APP, Anderson Power Pole? Is this the equivalent of the APP in a 1 1/8" form?
https://powerwerx.com/panelpole-panel-mount-powerpole-housing
If so I would totally go with that. My bias against Anderson was the big bulky external plugs. If those were kosher I would use those in my upcoming build.
Yes Powerwerx is a great source for APP mount plates, accessories and breakout distribution boxes etc. Also Aussie supply places, marine, outback 4WD, even aussie eBay, used a lot down under.

Again stay within current specs and BSS twistloc plug+ports is no problem. BSS port with old school plug, only temporary stuff IMO.

Even low loads can spark / heat when the connection goes intermittent, too much stuff is plastic. . .

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Well, my battery box is about done. Here’s the rundown.

100ah Renogy AGM battery charges from:

- Solar charging through Renogy Wanderer 30a charge controller with 100W Renogy panel on roof input through Anderson Power Poles and option to add 200W from Renogy Eclipse suitcases with input through MC4 connectors.

- DC charging from car battery through Renogy 20a DC/DC converter wired to truck battery, input through Anderson Powerpoles

- AC charging from 3a Battery Tender with input from AC port

Output goes to:

- 700W Renogy Inverter with one AC port on box, switch on outside of box

- ARM fridge freezer outlet on box

- USB and 12v outlets with voltmeter on box

Have two busbars, main battery switch and junction box for outputs. Have installed two vents and will add more.

7a8f43e3e8d2d8499702799239a86561.jpg

51cddf0fbb1b2c3b261745b487004bf8.jpg

88513696e9d418859f1abc5288eedca1.jpg

136f7a89442cf76fabd0d2402667d1d4.jpg

41efd71136eed39193c67fd679d04948.jpg

Thanks for everyone’s comments. Appreciate any feedback or counsel!

Need to complete - More in-line fuses and final securing of battery and inverter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great build! I just stumbled across this thread and I'm interested in learning more about what you've put together.

Any chance you have a layout drawing showing all the components and connections? I figure if I'm gonna do this I'll get all the components first and test fit them and then determine the best container/box for all the components.

AlumniCU

Great build! I just stumbled across this thread and I'm interested in learning more about what you've put together.

Any chance you have a layout drawing showing all the components and connections? I figure if I'm gonna do this I'll get all the components first and test fit them and then determine the best container/box for all the components.

Thanks. I haven't drawn it up - I can tell you it's worked flawlessly. All the components have worked well - solar, DC-DC converter and Battery Tender have kept the battery charged. My only complaint is the weight with the 100 Ah AGM battery (whole Pelican case is probably near 100 lbs. Over time, I'd like to get a Li battery, but not in too much of a hurry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles